The Unreal Admins Page - Forums

The Unreal Admins Page - Forums (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/index.php)
-   UT Server - General Chat (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   A certain .exe trigger bot (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27656)

xD://`NaNo 11th October, 2008 01:35 PM

A certain .exe trigger bot

I tested a trigger bot on my server yesterday.. i know i know i shouldn't be using them at all, but i just wanted to see whether it would catch me. No, it didn't.

I then ventured into other servers and got one or two frags, not caught there either. It makes me wonder.. are there any Anti-Cheats that can read outside of the game, as this TriggerBot was a simple .exe file that you run and just 'play as normal'

I use latest versions of -
UTDC
Pure
AnthChecker

Could you please offer any suggestions as to what AC will pick up this trigger.

if you want the name of the trigger you'll have to PM me and only at my discretion will i share it.

adminthis 11th October, 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

are there any Anti-Cheats that can read outside of the game
What do you run UTDC for Mr wizard?

Let me guess: it was the "Donkey" triggerbot? To my knowledge that's the only publicly available triggerbot that bypasses the latest UTDC. Maybe this man can help you out.

PizzaMan 11th October, 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xD://`NaNo (Post 142908)
I then ventured into other servers and got one or two frags, not caught there either.

This is where you failed.

Xen0 11th October, 2008 04:59 PM

Uh oh please don't anyone else follow this lead.

xD://`NaNo 11th October, 2008 06:41 PM

You're telling me off for using a cheat. OK.

It was entirely for the purpose of testing.
I got maybe 3 or 4 frags across the whole time I went into a server, how on earth can you slate me for this?
I told you in confidence that I used a cheat and why would I do that if it wasn't for the purpose of testing and prevention?

How many other cheaters are there out there. There were over 300 downloads on the website I got it from, just for that one hack. - and yes, I await RyanMarin's new AC as much as you do.

PizzaMan 11th October, 2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xD://`NaNo (Post 142924)
You're telling me off for using a cheat. OK.

It was entirely for the purpose of testing.

You brougth a cheat onto someone elses server. The very definition of cheating. And your excuse is the #1 excuse used by cheaters. Being an admin of some server does not justify this. Go back into your box and think it over.

SoNY_scarface 11th October, 2008 08:16 PM

nano....going into another public server is unnacceptable. if you do it on your own while the server is passworded, then thats fine, but going into a public with one isnt..

RyanMarin 13th October, 2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xD://`NaNo (Post 142908)
I tested a trigger bot on my server yesterday.. i know i know i shouldn't be using them at all, but i just wanted to see whether it would catch me. No, it didn't.

I then ventured into other servers and got one or two frags, not caught there either. It makes me wonder.. are there any Anti-Cheats that can read outside of the game, as this TriggerBot was a simple .exe file that you run and just 'play as normal'

I use latest versions of -
UTDC
Pure
AnthChecker

Could you please offer any suggestions as to what AC will pick up this trigger.

if you want the name of the trigger you'll have to PM me and only at my discretion will i share it.

send me the bot so I make sure the AC will catch it. [email address]

SoNY_scarface 14th October, 2008 04:39 PM

Dont send him the bot. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

xD://`NaNo 15th October, 2008 01:55 AM

I haven't, the name is mentioned in this thread mate.

2399Skillz 15th October, 2008 05:19 AM

As much as I hate to disagree with this, I say send it to him.

So far he seems to be pretty legit in trying to make an anti-cheat for the community, so why make him have to go through the trouble of tracking down all the cheats as well as performing the methods to block them?

We, as a community, should help him in any way possible. Until he proves to be untrustworthy.

Xen0 15th October, 2008 09:22 AM

If its Donkey expect your ban in the post.

CPanoplyd 16th October, 2008 06:20 AM

Here's a problem I have with all of this. Here's one guy who found a cheat and tested it on his server. He found that it worked so he tested it on another server. Now, granted he should have ASKED and not just went and did it, but he did. That's over and done with, have any of you been harmed...I don't think so, but I can't tell for sure. Anyway, he found that it worked there as well. Now he's reported it as a working cheat. What I do not follow is the "Ban him now" mentality. What if NO ONE ever tried a cheat they found to make sure it was blocked on their server? What if that cheat didn't work on his server, but worked on numerous others and no one ever did what he did? That cheat may never have been found. Now the second what if, it works on his server, but didn't on the second. Now there's a basis of comparison. What is running differently between the two servers to block it. I would venture to guess that the tone of this thread would be better if he came back and said, "Hey I found a cheat, it worked on my server, but not on this one. Here are the differences: x, y, z... This is what we found blocked it."

In my opinion, banning a player from servers based on posts in this forum are baseless and counterproductive to the community. Think about it....this guy may one day come across a cheat that is plaguing your server and you've banned him and wrote him off and he may have found the answer to stop your problem.

PaleRider 16th October, 2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPanoplyd (Post 143058)
Here's a problem I have with all of this. Here's one guy who found a cheat and tested it on his server. He found that it worked so he tested it on another server. Now, granted he should have ASKED and not just went and did it, but he did. That's over and done with, have any of you been harmed...I don't think so, but I can't tell for sure. Anyway, he found that it worked there as well. Now he's reported it as a working cheat. What I do not follow is the "Ban him now" mentality. What if NO ONE ever tried a cheat they found to make sure it was blocked on their server? What if that cheat didn't work on his server, but worked on numerous others and no one ever did what he did? That cheat may never have been found. Now the second what if, it works on his server, but didn't on the second. Now there's a basis of comparison. What is running differently between the two servers to block it. I would venture to guess that the tone of this thread would be better if he came back and said, "Hey I found a cheat, it worked on my server, but not on this one. Here are the differences: x, y, z... This is what we found blocked it."

In my opinion, banning a player from servers based on posts in this forum are baseless and counterproductive to the community. Think about it....this guy may one day come across a cheat that is plaguing your server and you've banned him and wrote him off and he may have found the answer to stop your problem.

ROGER THAT! He should have asked, but didn't in his eager to know if it worked or not, people makes mistakes, that's what seperates us from machines.

And further more, why not pass the cheat to someone here who announce that he is working on something to stop cheating? It's a public cheat, so all CHEATERS already have it! Ofcause no links should ever be found here, and i also think that mentioning the actual name of the cheat may trigger someones curiosity to find out what it is and download it and then maybe add +1 frag to the cheater count list. So Admins should censor the posts from naming the cheats, do it via PM.

PizzaMan 16th October, 2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider (Post 143059)
ROGER THAT! He should have asked, but didn't in his eager to know if it worked or not, people makes mistakes, that's what seperates us from machines.

Another thing that separates us from machines, is that unwanted behaviour can be corrected by smacking fingers. Which was due here, imo. You simply do not bring cheats to other people's servers, no matter your reason. If need be, you test cheats on a closed server.

Xen0 16th October, 2008 12:22 PM

There are things as virtual servers.
no excuses no exceptions.

LeeBe 16th October, 2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPanoplyd (Post 143058)

you are trying to justify using cheats, you are saying we shouldnt ban people who have used cheats on our servers - if anything is counterproductive it is that mentality

SoNY_scarface 16th October, 2008 02:27 PM

I have already sent this certain cheat to anthrax a good 2 months ago. There was no need to go into another server with the cheat activated.

CPanoplyd 16th October, 2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeBe (Post 143072)
you are trying to justify using cheats, you are saying we shouldnt ban people who have used cheats on our servers - if anything is counterproductive it is that mentality

No, that's not what I was saying at all. I apologize if that's how it came across.

I read his post as a concerned admin of a server who wants to remove cheaters. Therefore, I do not classify him into the category of "cheater". What he did is a completely different matter than a person that enters a server knowing full well that he has the intention of using a cheat to ruin gameplay on a server. Is he going to return to someone else's public unpassworded server with a cheat announced or unannounced, I do not think so. Will he take the advice given about "penetration testing", yes I think he most definitely will.

I just spoke up because I've seen that there is more focusing on what was done wrong than on fixing the problem that he's facing. He's come here saying, "I found this and it bypasses the things I've done to prevent it. How can I get it blocked?" and the replies I've seen are, you shouldn't have done this, you shouldn't have done that, you are going to be banned, but only two posts are supportive to mitigating this problem. I agree that what he did IS wrong but if he came onto my server with the cheat then posted here like he did, I'd be much more interested in blocking the cheat than banning him. To be honest, I think I'd thank him but also let him know that he NEEDS TO TELL ME first.

It's almost a sure thing that his problem is also a problem for a majority of us (server admins). I can't stop anyone from banning anyone on their servers, but if the pointing out of the faults can be put aside and the focus shifted to the problem, not only will Nano benefit but so will the community by blocking this cheat.

All in all, I probably should have put..."Hey ya'll, can we work on figuring out how to stop this cheat and talk about what he did wrong later?"

xD://`NaNo 16th October, 2008 06:17 PM

First of all I'd like to thank CPan for phrasing my intentions better than I could.

But seriously, so because of everything which was just justified, you would like me banned from UnrealAdmin?

Everything CPan has suggested is true. Myself, being a sworn HATER of cheaters, realised the consequences of my actions once I posted here.
Initially, I thought nothing of it, as anybody else would have if I'd not mentioned it here for the anti-cheat community.

It angers me that I've been banned from my clan and to read things like this
Quote:

I have already sent this certain cheat to anthrax a good 2 months ago. There was no need to go into another server with the cheat activated.
...think what you want to think, but excuse me.. how was I supposed to know that? I'm not very active in this anti-cheat community and I don't understand the morals and boundaries of testing (for the greater good) but as far as I could see, posting my findings here would be my best option to hopefully prevent 'cheat to win' botters using this kind of cheat in the future.

I'll take my slap on the wrist and apologise

Sorry all :(