The Unreal Admins Page - Forums

The Unreal Admins Page - Forums (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/index.php)
-   Suggestions & Comments (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   New website: UT99.org (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26918)

Shade1990 11th February, 2008 11:33 PM

New website: UT99.org

New website: UT99.org

Hello community! :)
(I hope I'm right here, I dont want to annoy some people with that. ;) )

I want to introduce my new little project, UT99.org.

It's a quite new website for Unreal Tournament (99 / GOTY).

I like UT99 very much and there are existing many UT websites. But every website I have visited, was either a general Unreal Tournament website, but in majority focused on Unreal Tournament 2003, 2004 and 3, or a website only about mutators and mods ( thousands of usefull and(!) useless downloads without description), about mapping or only for one gametype. Or it was a clan website with only some tips & tricks. So it was my idea, to collect all (important) information and knowledge about UT to make a new "all-in-one" website. UT is very old and I think it needs really a representation-website which includes nearly everything you need or you want to know.

And my personal opinion: I dont like these big commercial websites, that finally only want to sell something.

We need ONE website, not hundred. We need a well arranged website. Not here some mutators, tips and reviews, there some mutators, tips and reviews and maybe some skins, and behind the hills a lonely mapperpage, and so on...

For the downloads I have collected (there are lot of more downloads on my PC I must upload), I found about 10 websites with so differently mutators, and some mutators with the same function but from different authors. I think they didnt know that there was another mutator what did do the same.

Why the hell this big chaos!?

UT99.org is my personal contribution to this situation and I hope, there are some people in the world, who want to help me to collect all information and publish them on UT99.org. I can't do everything alone. So I search qualificated Staff Members. ;)

But if you dont want to write something or to help active on this page, I would be glad if you advertise for UT99.org in UT servers, in forums, in clanpages, wherever. ;)

...and dont forget to visit the forums to give me a feedback, what you think about this idea! (Or do it here :P)

lordi 12th February, 2008 12:11 PM

Nice Idea.

The thing is, It's gonna be tough for the admin moderators to give an order to all info. Forums tend to be messy when all the users start to post out of the correct board.

I'll check it out and post some tips.
Regardless the outcome of UT99.org, it's good to see people with initiative. Good for you.

[DANISH]TheDane 12th February, 2008 01:27 PM

I've had the same idea myself, but haven't got the time to do anything about it. I have like tons of ut files and stuff on my hd. I'll give your website a check soon :)

But once it's setup with the help from a lot of people arround the world, promise me this:

You won't just pull the plugg out like the owner of planetmonstehunt did, he realy did wrong pulling the plug without warning. Had he alone contributet to the site it would have been his choice, but what he did was to let a lot of peoples efforts go to waste.

Shade1990 12th February, 2008 03:07 PM

Thank you two for the answers! :)

I would be glad about every help.

@[DANISH]TheDane: Yes, I promise you! Thats why I have started UT99.org :)

Shade1990 20th April, 2008 10:17 AM

Some news!

Since today you can get your own Userpage on UT99.org !
Its a little CMS, including a good Pageeditor, Newspage and Guestbook. It is very simple to handle.

For more information visit http://www.ut99.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=451

DonvanVliet 30th April, 2008 11:58 AM

Good idea. Like dane I was thinking about that myself for a while but it stays with thinking about it.
Perhaps a good idea is to preserve as much Mutators and Mods for UT99 as possible with good readme files enclosed.

~V~ 30th April, 2008 05:06 PM

Why did you make it so people need to register to access downloads. Thats just as annoying as all the other download sites imo.

SixtSense 30th April, 2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~V~ (Post 139621)
Why did you make it so people need to register to access downloads. Thats just as annoying as all the other download sites imo.

Because we all pay for traffic i have the same 200+downloads on my page
and i'm not going to supply the rest of the world with my traffic.
UT people are ok but hotlinking and using my traffic to strangers sux
so registering is a must ;) So at least you can do for free downloads is registering

2399Skillz 2nd May, 2008 02:59 PM

There are other, easier ways to combat hotlinking.

i4games is like the plaque, I hate those fools.

buttpirate 2nd May, 2008 10:35 PM

Depending on the web server, it's very easy to setup Hotlink Protection. It's a built in function if your provider uses cPanel frontend.

qwerty 11th May, 2008 11:15 PM

and you can add code to your .htaccess file to prevent hot linking ;) love this site btw.

Taragon 12th May, 2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonvanVliet (Post 139618)
with good readme files enclosed.

I've always found it rather nice to have the original zipfile (like Baiter's ut-files.com)
It would be nice to have a seperate readme or page for comments and stuff.