View Single Post
Unread 23rd December, 2001, 06:38 PM
[Z]Moose

Zenkai hosts a public "Elite" server located in Texas. The name of this server is:

[Z]wineØnline[Z]
IP: 207.45.114.35:7777

We also have support from Clan SNOW who host a server called:

[Z]wineØnline[Z] #2
IP: 208.22.185.116:7777

Now we have allways wanted to make our server ([Z]wineØnline[Z]) a private server with password protection. However, in the past servers like this allways had the password leak out to anyone and everyone. Therefore a password just seemed to be more work for us admins and trying to keep it semi private was hard.

We would love a system like this. This system would require them to have a username/password to join our server. The problems I see are:

- someone taking another person's username and registering it

- sharing username/password

We would like to be the only ones who give authority to play on this server and the ability to delete an account (revoke privilages on this server). Maybe a "suspension" feature would be a great idea. Where instead of deleting an account I could suspend a user's account and have the option to choose a time frame (in number of days) that the user is to be suspended and after that time passes the user is automatically re-instated and given access to the server once again. Admin over-ride of suspensions would also be needed as if we feel the suspension was unjust or feel they have learned their lesson we should be able to un-suspend someone.

Another feature is an expansion to SemiAdmin to allow them to suspend someone from this server using the above example. As I have appointed some people who play frequently on our server to be a sort of "police force" and help keep the server llama free. I would like to give them the ability to suspend players from the server thru the console using the player's ID (not name as names can contain ASCII and that makes it very hard)

A web based registration sounds like a great idea as well. I look forward to reading more about this in the future.

Something else to think about:
Design some kind of ANTI-ALIASING feature that if the server admin wishes can implement. Thus stopping people from aliasing all the time and forcing them to play with their clan name or at least the 1 name they registered under. I am not sure if we would want to take away aliasing ability from our server but I would like the option to do so as aliasing has gotten out of hand and when people alias they are 100 times more likely to be assholes (as we have seen on our server many times)

Thanks again.