View Single Post
Unread 17th October, 2010, 11:13 AM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDane View Post
I hope you can keep the package size down m8 man it looks size demanding.

Good idea with the bonus pack thought. Maybe you should considder packing each weapon individualy so server admins can pick what they need and maybe just run arena servers without the need for a full packages? (if it's possible, I don't know your structure of the classes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meindratheal View Post
IIRC that's what he is doing. Each weapon gets it own pack (the nukes go together), so you only use what you need.
Indeed, that's already thought out and being developed that way since the beggining of NW3:
"a) Core file (about 15Mb on release, 11Mb currently)
b) One file per weapon/utility (between 2Mb and 9Mb, depending on the weapon features itself: more or less effects, projectiles, etc)
c) 3 configuration files: Nali Weapons III main ini, Weapons Configuration ini (specific weapon settings), Hands Customization ini
d) A Nuclear Pack (since the Nuclear Launchers, Deployers and Remote devices will use the same nuclear effects): perhaps around 10Mb"

Basically, the NW3 Core file will be always required to run any weapon. From there, the admin uses whatever the only weapons he/she wants, and since the mutator is actually fully tweakable, you can decide which weapons you actually want to replace (you can even replace 1 weapon for 2 or more different weapons, so admins can use the whole pack if they so, even having more weapons to add than to replace).
There are at least 2 people which already want a standalone version of the Graviton for example (one for Bombing Run and another for RX).
The idea of having to download 80Mb pack just to use a single weapon from it is quite stupid, I know

Also, I want to note 1 thing:
The NW3 core is 11Mb now extracted, unreal zipped it gets down to 3.2Mb or so, so it is highly advised admins to have a redirect service, even being a poor one.
So, basically, people will only have to download 3-4Mb regarding the core itself, if using redirect. The rest of the weapons, will get a 50% compression or more (so although there are some 8Mb weapons ,only 4Mb will be download from the server instead).

I like to think I already have everything thought out regarding the new pack, and all the mistakes I made regarding NW2X aren't in NW3, but of course, there's always going to be something which I didn't think about, so those kind of sugestions are more than welcome.

Thanks so far.

Regarding the melee weapon, like I said in my blog in a reply to the user who actually sugested it, I already thought on it and I will indeed make one, however it will come most likelly as a bonus pack instead.

Nali Weapons 3 | Community UT mods