View Single Post
Unread 15th July, 2013, 10:21 PM
Holy Shit!!

Not sure if you know who Jack is.. but he has somehow managed to put himself into the dog-box with a little too many members of UT in general. Tbh we all have 'Lovers' & 'Haters' some more then others.the problem arises when we piss off the wrong ppl... as I suspect he has done. remember that this game is Old but the people who play/code use it are also older.. more experienced and in some case lethal with computers in general.

All the so called 'Security' Patches and stuff really amount to naught when it comes to these individuals and in all honesty the safest computer is the one with no wireless card and no RJ45 rammed up its butt. ^_^ ie; Offline only

Now this is just the way it is.. weather it's because of us or them , it's irrelevant. And the key thing is.. how we (as it affects us) deal with the Situation. Now.. our descission's usually fueled by 'Anger/Emotion' (I am bad like this) .. can lead us to go about things in a not-so-good manner. This in turns brings great joy to these 'Attackers' hearts as well our 'emotions' end up being a Soap-Opera for every-one on the web.. Best thing to do i.m.o is to step back and 'think b4 we speak' (or type) .. and decide what we are going to do in respect to these individuals if/anything..

sometimes is best to do nothing and carry on as if you did'nt notice them. however as a server admin this is not so easy.. because the Bad Guys attacks make our servers look bad and basically kill it for the players.. who are the main one's that suffer as the end-user. there are plenty of things an admin can do to lesson these attacks.. however none to totally stop them 100% regardless of how secure the system claims to be.

and even with a fully patched system , there are the exploitable holes in UT itself that can be compromised to allow an attacker instant access or to be able to compromise it if he/she wanted to.

Therefore different approaches are needed for different Attacks.. even to the extent of legal or otherwise. But then I must say .. 'Choose your Battles carefully' as even though you may WIN a battle .. you may end up losing the WAR.. or vice versa.. however by time all this is said and done.. yu have not been able to focus on what you were doing initially and end up losing everything in the end .. so choose wisely .. or more importantly THINK about the repercussions that could happen through various actions I guess. This is all my opinion open for debate but probably best in another thread. In fact 1 thing I dislike about this place is exactly what I have myself just done.. and that is to say that I have offtopic'd a thread and now started a stream of of shit to follow..

usually whilst in 'Attack-mode' we forget about all the 1000's of other's watching and vent to the point that potentially we loose more friends then actually doing much hard to the adversary in which we are focussed on.

sooner or later 1v1 turns into a 1 v 10 or a 3 v 6 type scenario.. already it's gone beyond what it should have had we just thought about it earlier and approached it defferently.

This is where the danger creeps in.. because sooner , or later the 'Big Boys' , yes the Silent Observer's get involved.. those with the Nukes and Botnets rear their ulgy heads to assist in the battle between 'Smurfs'
Next thing you know.. all your servers are hacked , your website's/forums are gone and you find yourself.. wondering .. was all this worth it?.. What did I do Wrong?.. Re-Read the above parts - very slowly.

^ in general the main key thing here and in Street-Wise Situations .. is 'Respect is Key..'
and 'Nothing Given , Nothing Gained' .. respectfully.

If I was Admin here .. Then I would Start with Making a new section called the 'chronicals or drama' or likewise perhaps just 'trash can' - and then filter out all the offtopic things from all the threads into various little conveniently named posts.. and merging these individual posts into these Topics. Also the offtoppic things that were very interesting to 2-more users I would split into separate topics and so-forth.. keeping topics like this clean from drama and able to go forth and produce something unreal.

anyway back on topic:

Re: Free Redirect Services;
====================

Something I would like to point out here. If you are a developer providing "Free" redirect services.. if i was concerned about my (private) works, then I would'nt use one. Because idk if they are just harvesting sources and are just trying to steal my work. I mean lets face it these guys didn't get that good at coding , simply by reading the wiki..now.. Did they?

NO! I assure you that they decompiled everything they could and learn't (most of what they know) that way. Be sure of that. As that is the best way to learn coding in my experience. Then after gaining the knowledge / concepts / idea's They then start writing their own code.. and are proud of making something of their own design.

However sooner or later 'their code?' will be 'harvested' and 'Learned' to help the next guy.. who is wanting to make something unique.So.. for those of us that 'Get our Dicks out of joint' because of ppl using our? code.. just remember that we once done the same..

anyways.. got things to-do will post here how to setup a real cheap Redirect soon.. then ppl won't have to deal with things mentioned above.

in saying this.. I like the torrent inspired idea and look forwards to how this unfolds.

another note i did not intend to offend anyone with this post.. but if you know me.. i tend to always speak my mind .. no matter how 'controversial' it may seem. And I only do these things to provide problems/Solutions in most cases for ppl to contemplate.

ponder this; if the Bad Apples Own the Basket , Try and save the Good Apples and leave the rest to Rot.

Cheers.

Last edited by back4more : 16th July, 2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: note that I edit often.