View Single Post
Unread 29th May, 2008, 08:34 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default Coding Anticheat - Starting points, advice?

Hey all! I have an idea that popped into my head, an idea to start out my own anticheat software for UT99 (specifically the Instagib mod). I would sure use some advice, starter tips etc.

Now I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to programming, I've done some work in python a couple of years ago (that I can now barely remember how I did it back then, hehe ), and I did some C++ programming for a period of time aswell. But when it comes to anticheat, I have no experience in that area. Can anyone give me some starter points, as to how it's actually done? Is it all worked out in unrealscript or are other programming languages involved? Any examples of anticheat coding? Links to other tutorial sites are really welcome and should help me alot. I enjoy programming/scripting, but I was just too busy in life in the last few years to start working on something like this.

If things work out I'd keep the anticheat for myself and my closest friends, just for a few of our public servers. Maybe eventually if the anticheat proves to be solid, I might release it to the public. But of course, I'm talking in "future tense" now, so it might be a while untill I make anything useful just yet. Oh and I'm not planning to "sell" the ac, I just want to have a clean and fun game, as I've played UT ever since the demo came out, and the only thing thats making this game less enjoyable for me then in its early years is the mass amounts of cheat abuse, available just about everywhere on any public server. I allready have an idea on how the AC "would work", something that takes a quite different approach then utdc or utpure / similar ac's, but it's still only an idea.

Hope you can help me out. Thanx for reading this!