You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT3 Server - Beta Only

Unread 15th October, 2007, 02:06 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Linux Dedicated Server Setup

Just setup my first UT3 server on Linux. I can't even play the game so I don't know if or what is listing in the server browser, but a friend was able to connect by using his console and connecting to the IP address.

I pretty much got it going on my experience running a small UT2004 server and there seems to be alot of documentation missing, or atleast not spoken (perhaps everyone here already knows it?), so I thought I'd contribute this.

First of all it looks like it (the GAME) only needs UDP port 7777! That makes firewall setup alot easier. It also needs UDP 14001 and 13000 which i think are Gamespy/Master server ports. I determined this by running netstat -anp after starting the server. Open up these ports on your firewall (or forward them) before starting this.

The server is compiled to need a CPU with sse, possibly sse2:
grep sse /proc/cpuinfo
if you don't get anything back, then when you try to start the server it will fail with an obscure "Illegal instruction".

This is essentially what I did, comments inline.
Code:
#First unpack the tarball
tar xfvj UT3-linux-server-betademo-10132007.tar.bz2

# Create a launch script
echo >runut3betademo.sh <<$EOF
#!/bin/bash
cd UT3-linux-server-betademo/Binaries/
./ut3demo server DM-ShangriLa?numplay=6?maxplayers=8?timelimit=20?goalscore=20?bUsesStats=true  -Login=YOURLOGIN -Password=YOURPASSWORD -nohomedir
$EOF

# Make the launch script executable
chmod u+x ./runut3betademo.sh

# Create our own ini file for customization
cat >UT3-linux-server-betademo/UTGame/Config/betademo.ini <<$EOF
[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
ServerName=MY SERVER
ShortName=MY SERVER NAME
MessageOfTheDay=A Nice|Welcome|Message
$EOF

# Edit our INI file (If you didn't above)
edit (vi/nano/etc) UT3-linux-server-betademo/UTGame/Config/betademo.ini

# Edit [Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
# Change ServerName
# Change ShortName
# Change MessageOfTheDay

#Try it out!
./runut3betademo.sh
Where does betademo.ini come into play? It seems that the server loads all ini files it can find from the UTGame/Config directory. It's right there in the log.
[code]
Log: Looking for PC DLC...
Log: Object size..............: 60
Log: Actor size...............: 436
Log: ActorComponent size......: 88
Log: PrimitiveComponent size..: 448
Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file: ../UTGame/Config/betademo.ini
[/log]

Does it work? Without a Linux client to try it out, I don't know if it's listing in the Server Browser, or even what servername is in effect, but like I said, I was able to ask a friend to connect by starting up the game pressing ` to bring down the console (in the UK that would be @, which is a bug in this beta demo) and type connect {my ip}

I'm seeing one error in the log:
Code:
ScriptWarning: UTDeathmatch DM-ShangriLa.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTDeathmatch_0 (Function Engine.GameInfo:OnServerCreateComplete:0092) Failed to register game with online service. Registering as a LAN match
which I believe means that my -Login -Password isn't right, but I have played the game and created a profile and I'm using that username and password but I must be missing some nuance. Ideas?

I would like to know if there's some other way, some way other than running the game, to create profile with a username and password.

Comments? Thoughts? Criticisms? Corrections?

HTH.

._.

*Edit: The Epic Games Dedicated Server thread: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578745

Last edited by Slim Backwater : 15th October, 2007 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Epic Games Link
Unread 15th October, 2007, 03:19 AM
Killing Spree

Same here. Can't make server to get listed. Username/password are valid and registered on gamespy.
Unread 15th October, 2007, 03:29 AM
Forum Newcomer

I found my solution to that, I'm running shorewall firewall and had a policy blocking traffic out to the Internet. I added an explicit rule to allow traffic out to 207.38.11.34 (master server?) fixed the password (I had tried so many combinations) and I'm not getting that message anymore.

I still can't run the game here, but I think it should now be listed. (Johnson: Johnsons House) If the betademo.ini file actually overrode the DefaultGame.ini and UTGame.ini default settings.

._.
Unread 15th October, 2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Do you know if SSE2 is required? My CPU only has SSE, but I am getting that error you mentioned when trying to start the server.

Illegal instruction (core dumped)

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 15th October, 2007, 10:50 PM
Killing Spree

SSE2 is required, as noted on the UT3 mailinglist on icculus.org.
Unread 15th October, 2007, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddeth View Post
SSE2 is required, as noted on the UT3 mailinglist on icculus.org.
Well that explains my problem. Dang it!

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 16th October, 2007, 02:20 AM
Forum Newcomer

I am able to get my Linux Dedicated server to run and showup in the Server Browser, but can't join. This is a known bug with the Linux Server Beta. You have to join by opening the console and typing open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx.

There were a couple times that tabbing out on my local machine to look at my SSH window to see what was going on locked up my locally running UT3. Which in turned did something to the Linux Server. I could not even restart the server. Only after untar'ing the file again and overwriting everything could I get it to start again. I sent my logs onto Ryan to see if there is anything there useful.
Here is a copy of my start_demo.sh file. Yes, it is long and was generated from creating a WIndows Dedicated server, but I found that modifying the ini file caused me some issues.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/local/UT3-linux-server-betademo/Binaries/
./ut3demo server DM-ShangriLa?MaxPlayers=16?MinNetPlayers=0?NumPublicConnections=16?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicConnections=16?NumOpenPrivateConnec
tions=0?bShouldAdvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bAllowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=True?bUsesPresence=True?bAllowJoinViaPresence=True?bUses
Arbitration=False?bIsDedicated=True?bIsListPlay=False?OwningPlayerName=?PingInMs=0?AverageSkillRating=0.000000?GameMode=0?Difficulty=2?PureServer=1?LockedServer
=0?Campaign=0?ForceRespawn=1?CustomMapName=DM-ShangriLa?CustomGameMode=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?GoalScore=20?TimeLimit=20?ServerDescription=0460000460000460000770000
80000067000032000085000084000051000?NumPlay=5?game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?name=xxxxx?alias=xxxxx -log=DedicatedServer.log -Login=xxxxx -Password=xxxxx
-Cruce