You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 12th December, 2005, 07:51 AM
Rampage

Default General Cheating Question

I have a very general question about cheating, and looking for feedback and maybe someone who actually knows something about this.

I run a UT99 Sniper server with UTDC. I don't have Pure installed yet due to it not working with my rifle, but we are working on it.

There is a guy who plays on the server that I am like 99.9% sure is a cheater, but I have no proof yet. UTDC isn't nailing anything, but that is of course not an indicator that he isn't cheating.

I am geting some really odd behavior when he is on the server, and I wonder if it is because of a cheat he is running (suspected) or some other problem.

Here is what happens. Even on the simplest of maps where I get no lag due to textures / brushes / rspeeds / etc. every time he gets anywhere near my line of sight I lag up seriously mad bad. Even if I am scoped in. This happens with no other players, and the guy in question is using a stock skin. We both have reasonable pings (my ping is quite a bit better though).

My suspicion is that this is the side-effect of a speed hack. Obviously something odd is going on. Usually i'd trouble-shoot something like this for hours () but considering I do suspect this guy of being a cheater I figured i'd ask here and see if anyone has ever experienced something like this before and could give me some insight.

Anyway, any feedback is greatly appreciated. Tell me I am right or I am crazy

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 08:38 AM
Killing Spree

Define "lag up"
Unread 12th December, 2005, 08:52 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZKSteel
Define "lag up"
Well, it's like being in a complex map with a poor graphics card. I am very familiar with this myself still playing with an ATI Radeon 7500 with 32 megs of ram (soldiered to the MB so not much I can do). If I am on a map thats hard on my card I stutter around, impossible to really do much, kinda like a strobe light effect. I believe this is what is refered to as dropping frames (but I am not really up on the lingo). Or like this - I move, freeze up, move a centimeter, freeze up, etc.

Well, when this guy gets in my line of sight on a map where this doesn't normally happen, it does. And it is only him, no other players. If he isn't there I am fine on the map. I didn't really ask around too much of the other players because I would really hate to even hint at cheating if it were not the case.

Make sense?

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 09:09 AM
Administrator

the only thing I can think of is taunt-movement but I'm not even sure if it's possible. You probably know that if you press the "v" key on your keyboard, you get an in-game menu in which you can select gestures to perform. You can bind those to a key so that you could wave with one key-press. Maybe this guy put gestures on his movement keys so that, everytime he moves, he performs a number of gestures.
Unread 12th December, 2005, 09:37 AM
Holy Shit!!

there used to be a few players say that about me - and a few others about other players, but im not sure how it could be done, and if I did lag them it was unknown to me.

out of curiosity, does he use a male warmachine skin?
Unread 12th December, 2005, 10:01 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraX
the only thing I can think of is taunt-movement but I'm not even sure if it's possible. You probably know that if you press the "v" key on your keyboard, you get an in-game menu in which you can select gestures to perform. You can bind those to a key so that you could wave with one key-press. Maybe this guy put gestures on his movement keys so that, everytime he moves, he performs a number of gestures.
The number of gestures is restricted in the vahalla avatar that the server runs. I don't see anything in the way of gestures from him anyway. But it was a good thought.

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 10:12 AM
Holy Shit!!

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?p=55136
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1833
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10009

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.

Last edited by Azura : 12th December, 2005 at 10:14 AM.
Unread 12th December, 2005, 10:16 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBe
there used to be a few players say that about me - and a few others about other players, but im not sure how it could be done, and if I did lag them it was unknown to me.

I'm not sure what skin it is, i'll have to wait til I se him next. But it is the one with the weird head (the bucket head helmet if you know what I mean).

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 10:19 AM
Rampage

Oh, point taken...I have seen other people in the skin and it doesn't happen with them.

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 04:20 PM
Forum Newcomer

Not that I am an expert, but what has worked for me: Kick him from ur server a few times, wait for his complaint. If no complaint is received and he returns to ur server check and see if the prob is still active, if not chances are he removed the cheat, if he does not return to the server he will think he was caught. This by no means is fullproof. PS.... UTDC kicks butt, rarely does it get outsmarted.

Q
Unread 12th December, 2005, 04:31 PM
Holy Shit!!

you could try using AnthChecker to log which version of the skin he is using.
Unread 12th December, 2005, 04:46 PM
Holy Shit!!

If your running the server and you don't allow some mod for custom skins then I don't see how the skin could lag you...have you checked your UnrealTournament.log file, maybe it's excessive logging that's slowing you down. (and if so, that log info can be used to find the exploit)

EDIT: Also do a demorecord of it and see if it plays back laggy on the demo, if it does then I reckon it's possible to do an autopsy on the demo using a modified UT install
Unread 12th December, 2005, 07:14 PM
Dominating

I notice this 2
I was playing a game and everytime this 1 player would get near i just Laged Up.But i didnt lag from any1eles on the server.
So i hide behind a wall,every1 was running by me no lag
Then all sudden i Started 2 Lag Up and there he was
I only seen this happen with 2 players and thats it
So i never took notice about it but was always wondering if this happed 2 any1 besides me

GF 256mb FX 5500 OC is my vid

But this happed in the Donut Hole Server
Unread 12th December, 2005, 09:57 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler
If your running the server and you don't allow some mod for custom skins then I don't see how the skin could lag you...have you checked your UnrealTournament.log file, maybe it's excessive logging that's slowing you down. (and if so, that log info can be used to find the exploit)

EDIT: Also do a demorecord of it and see if it plays back laggy on the demo, if it does then I reckon it's possible to do an autopsy on the demo using a modified UT install

I do run a mutator that allows custom skins (Vahalla Avatar).

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 10:12 PM
Holy Shit!!

That's probably related to it somehow then, probably best for the creator to lookup the code for problems.
Unread 12th December, 2005, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

What is that guys netspeed?

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 12th December, 2005, 11:14 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2399Skillz
What is that guys netspeed?
He has cable (Canada, I forget, but the big named company that half of all Canadians use).

T

Edit: Rogers Cable I believe.

Last edited by Tommy : 12th December, 2005 at 11:20 PM.
Unread 12th December, 2005, 11:23 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBe

Checked the logs, the skin verbatim is:

Class=BotPack.TBoss?team=255?skin=BossLiquid_Ice.d ice?Face=?Voice=BotPack.VoiceBoss?game=BotPack.Dea thMatchPlus

T
Unread 12th December, 2005, 11:55 PM
Holy Shit!!

Ok...use that skin yourself and see if you can create the same problem for other players, if so I'm sure Pure or one of the other security mods can then block it.
Unread 13th December, 2005, 03:00 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler
Ok...use that skin yourself and see if you can create the same problem for other players, if so I'm sure Pure or one of the other security mods can then block it.
Yeah, good idea. But first I am going to have another clan member wear the skin and see if I have a problem with them when they use it. If not but still with the other guy then there will be stuff to figure out. The problem is that I have a very old ATI Radeon 7500, so I am wondering if other people who have a beefy enough card will just have enough to compensate for the suspected cheat.

T