You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT3 Server - Beta Only

Unread 18th October, 2007, 08:49 PM
Holy Shit!!

Exclamation How to start a Dedicated UT3-Demo Server on Colocated Box

Redirect post from:
http://www.kds-clan.org/portal/viewtopic.php?t=81

Couple of "BIG" assumptions here.

1. Dedicated Server is Windows based
2. Outside of video card, meets the other minimum requirements to run the UT3Demo *Note: video card needs shader 2 (most 16meg cards or better work)
3. You have a separate windows based PC/Client with a working copy of UT3-Demo

Basically, we need to use the working client to create a full startup command line that can be copied/uploaded and place in a batch file on the dedicated server.

Lets Jump Right In:

1. On working client PC, create a profile for your dedicated server.
(UT3 uses Gamespy's master servers and EACH Server must have its OWN profile to log in)

2. Still on the Client PC, got through the multiplayer menu options to "host" a server.
a. fill each screen's options and select the "next" button
b. Make sure you fill out all the options on all the screens (esp the Dedicated Server Checkbox)

3 When you've reached the end of all the configuration screens, Launch the Dedicated Server.

4. Once the dedicated server is running, close the window and exit UT3.
(don't run a client, change profiles, etc. Just get to your desktop.)

5. Use Windows Explorer and find the Launch.log file that was just created from starting the dedicated server.
Should be: "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Logs\Launch.log

6. Using a text editor, open Launch.log
a. scroll to bottom of the file.
b. look for a line that starts with: Log: CreateProc UT3Demo.exe Server (about 12-14 lines from bottom)

7. All commandline parameters for the dedicated server you created earlier will be there.
Just edit out the "Log: CreateProc " and replace that with the path to the executible on the "true" Dedicated Server.
Usually, C:\Program Files\UT3Demo\

8. Finally, copy this entire command line to a batch file and upload to your dedicated server.

See if the server will run.

If you need to use a non-standard port, just add ?port=xxxx to the parameters. Or, add -port=xxxx to the end of the commandline. Both methods seem to work.
Multihome does not work in the current UT3-Demo (beta).

--------------------------------------------------------------

Chat Log with Baiter who had a setup as mentioned above:
Message Date="10/17/2007" Time="8:07:57 PM"
From User ="Rewind1181"
To User ="Baiter"

Rewind>
you have a seperate box that will run the game
and you created an profile for your server already, right?
I should have said, created a "valid" profile on the machine that you can run the game. correct?

Baiter>
I cannot run the game on my Racked Server, because its graphic card isnt sufficient, and you cant create a profile on that computer unless you can run the game on that pc

Rewind>
yeah, chicken vs egg

Baiter>
the experts said I will have to wait until the non beta version comes out to fix that issue

Baiter>
I tried to make the profile there and plug in the values on the server commandlline, and it didnt work

Rewind>
Did you tire to get the "full" startup command from the home PC and use that as the startup command line?

on home PC - My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Logs\Launch.log

Baiter>
found it

Rewind>
about 12-14 lines from bottom
Log: CreateProc UT3Demo.exe Server ?
start withthe UT3Demo.exe and grab the rest of the line
Then, in front, append the path to the UT3Demo.exe
C:\Program Files\? or whatever

you will need to start a dedicated server on home PC, with all parameters you want the "real" dedicated server to have

Don't forget to include player count, the dedicated server box checked, game type, number of bots, etc...

Baiter>
ahh ok, let me grab that info, please hold

Baiter>
Init: Command line: DM-ShangriLa?GamePassword=?NumPublicConnections=14?bI sDedicated=True?GameMode=0?GoalScore=30?TimeLimit= 15?ServerDescription=www.ClanSDA.com SDA Gaming Server?game=UTGame.UTDeathMatch?-log=DedicatedServer.log-Login=xxx-Password=xxx

Rewind>
seems too short...

Baiter>
I ran the server from a bat file, maybe I should run it from the client,
right?

Rewind>
yes, run from client on home PC
Basically - using a "working" client PC to create a complete and correct Dedicated Server Startup Command Line. Which can be placed in a batch file on Co-Located Server Boxes which otherwise can't run the UT3Demo.exe.
then in the launch log, need the end about 10-15 line from bottom, you'll have something that starts with: Log CreateProc
and...
UT3Demo.exe Server DM-HeatRay?MaxPlayers=16?MinNetPlayers=0?NumPublicCon nections=16?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicC onnections=16?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bShouldA dvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bA llowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=True?bUsesPr esence=True?bAllowJoinViaPresence=True?bUsesArbitr ation=False?bIsDedicated=True?bIsListPlay=False?Ow ningPlayerName=?PingInMs=0?AverageSkillRating=0.00 0000?GameMode=0?Difficulty=2?PureServer=1?LockedSe rver=0?Campaign=0?ForceRespawn=0?CustomMapName=DM-HeatRay?CustomGameMode=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?GoalSco re=25?TimeLimit=10?ServerDescription=1230000750000 68000083000125000067000108000097000110000032000085 00008400005100003200006800010100010900011100003200 0083000101000114000118000101000114000?NumPlay=1?ga me=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?name=xxxxxxxxx?alias=xxxxxx xx?port=7787 -log=DedicatedServer.log -port=7777 -Login= -Password=?

Note: name=xxxx and alias=xxxxx, the xxxx will be the profile name you used to login in when you created the dedicated server.

Rewind>
you can change ports but you can't use multihome yet
and the server description is UTF-16?
some kind of ASCII codes with 3 decimal digits for the letter followed by 3 zeros
so, each letter in the ServerDescription= is 6 digits long.
Example: a space (Ascii 32) is: 032000

Baiter>
Log: CreateProc UT3Demo.exe Server DM-HeatRay?MaxPlayers=12?MinNetPlayers=4?NumPublicCon nections=12?NumPrivateConnections=0?NumOpenPublicC onnections=12?NumOpenPrivateConnections=0?bShouldA dvertise=True?bIsLanMatch=False?bUsesStats=True?bA llowJoinInProgress=True?bAllowInvites=True?bUsesPr esence=True?bAllowJoinViaPresence=True?bUsesArbitr ation=False?bIsDedicated=True?bIsListPlay=False?Ow ningPlayerNa
ok, got that part, now what?

Rewind>
change Log: CreateProc
to path of exe on your rack server
and put that whole line as the startup command in your batch file

Baiter>
as the commandline n a bat file?

Rewind>
yes, in bat file on server

Baiter>
How do I change the port from the commandline?

Rewind>
before any parameters that start with minus "-", add
?Port=xxxx
heard -port=xxxx at end of commandline also works
but, ?port=xxxx has worked for me

Baiter>
gonna go try it and see if it works
brb

Baiter>
67.19.181.52:8888

Rewind>
I'm in with 2 bots
waiting for 1 additional human to start map

Baiter>
that worked....thank you very much!!!

Rewind>
I used your fully modded ut99 servers before
and appreciate your efforts
thought this might work and wanted to repay the favor

Baiter>
Wow, thank you very much man! You certainly did repay the favor!

Baiter>
One more question, why doesnt my server show in the list?

Rewind>
it probably does
also, in this demo, the server browser is broke
everyone is having to press refresh over and over to get/find servers they know are up and running
ut3 uses gamespy protocol and master servers
I understand the query port is random
so, using the open command is easiest
but, only old-school players remember that from Unreal-1 and UT99 days...
so, if your server is behind a firewall, you may have to put it on DMZ or "not" block all ports

Baiter>
and thank you again!

Rewind>
your welcome

Hope this helps guys...

Baiter

Last edited by Baiter : 21st October, 2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: *Note: video card needs shader 2 (most 16meg cards or better work)
Unread 21st October, 2007, 12:34 PM
Forum Newcomer

I've tried using this method to get the server running on a dedicated box which I had direct access to (not remote), which can run the server but doesn't have a shader2.0 card.

However, I can't seem to get it to work; when I run the batch file I just get the error. I tried running the batch file on my normal PC and it seems to work as intended, i.e. loads straight into the server, but of course that's on a shader 2.0 card.

When I run the batch from the server machine, I just get the usual error in kernel32.dll which you get without a shader 2.0 card. I even tried copying the example Rewind used (with those pasted server settings, instead of from my own log) and the same result
Unread 21st October, 2007, 01:43 PM
Forum Newcomer

Yeah,

With this Beta-Demo, the work around still does not function if the video card does not have "minimum" specs.

Think you'll have to wait for the non-beta or a true dedicated server.
Unread 21st October, 2007, 02:17 PM
Forum Newcomer

Ah, ok. Cheers for the input. The OP should probably change the "Outside of video card, machine meets mininum required specs" thing for the guide then, since it implies it can work without a shader 2.0 card...
Unread 21st October, 2007, 02:36 PM
Forum Newcomer

True, need to get Baiter to edit original post. (I can change the post on my web site, but the text has been copied here, so only the OP or moderators can edit)

Sorry it didn't work for you. Hopefully, Epic will get these issues fixed quickly. This beta-demo seems to be showing a lot of rough edges.

Last edited by Rewind{KDS} : 21st October, 2007 at 03:35 PM.