You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > Server Admins Open Forum

Unread 6th April, 2004, 09:53 AM
Ch3z

I know the idea has been hashed in the past. It seems the arguments for and against it have always been about what you'd expect from either side. But, there seems to be more call for the list then there is call not to. (maybe a good subject for a poll).

It would be pretty easy to use the gamespy server protocol to have Pure send a log entry to a master list hosted somewhere wouldn't it? Server Admins could enable or disable the sending of the report when a cheater is caught via a setting in the ini file.
The list could be parsed and "unkowns" seperated from "known" cheats and saved to a database. That list could be easily displayed on a webpage directly from the database so it's always up to date.

Pure could also be extended to increase the ban list capacity for the server running it, and probably even populate that ban list directly from the ip addresses stored in the database. Automatic Global banning. Nothing is cut and dried with the suggestion of such a thing. The particulars could be hashed out still. For example, the Global ban list would only hold ip addresses of cheaters reported x number of times. Maybe even an option for the server admin in the ini file to specify how many offences are required by that server to add them to it's ban list.
Unread 7th April, 2004, 12:37 AM
DeadMeat

Here's a thread on UnrealAdmin around a this exact topic that you should read. Covers a lot of the thorny issues here:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?nam...iewtopic&t=2030

GL HF
|LCN|DeadMeat
--
Let's hold a rock concert to fund this effort... we can call it....
Banned! Aid
Unread 7th April, 2004, 07:25 AM
Ch3z

well, i started reading all that, then quickly had enough of it. It looks like alot of discussion related to only one bad idea of how to handle it. Too many hoops to jump through to play a game. Alot of ppl like myself would prolly just skip it and go play some other game. I hope that system never gets used.
Extending Pure in the way i have suggested here would require nothing of the players wanting to join servers. Simply if they cheat once they can only play on servers that allow ppl who have been caught once; If they cheat twice, they can only play on servers that allow you to have been caught cheating twice, etc. etc. untill the die hard dumbasses have no where to play. Their own doing. Those who never cheat will only enjoy the bennefit of servers having less jerks ruining everyone elses fun, and never even notice it otherwise.
I would never suggest a black list for team-killers, excessive-taunters, suciders, idlers, or jerks in general, because ppl could be put on that list unfairly. But when you are busted with a known cheat in your game, well, there ya go. For the sake of possible reform the entire database could even be dumped every so often so that ppl who learned their lesson and just want to play the game can have another chance to enjoy the game as it was intended. Soon the hardcore cheaters would rejoin the ranks of the globally banned.
If there is an arguement against global banning, when executed in way that seems fair, then i'd love to hear it. So far the only one i've heard that seems to have any bearing is that someone could get banned by mistake. Well, if it's one, two, three strikes your out, then there is no mistake. I have no tolleration for cheaters ruining everyone elses fun. Screw them.
Yeah, there will always be new ways to cheat. Okay, so why should we suffer all of them at once. It wouldn't be so bad to only be subjected to them as they arise and are short lived.
Unread 7th April, 2004, 07:30 AM
Ch3z

I would like to say also that i am very thankfull for level of improvement that Pure has brought to the community already. It rocks! I can just see that it could be extended to further server us.
Unread 14th June, 2004, 12:29 AM
Dominating

well i have a nice list that get bumpstart it :p
Unread 18th July, 2004, 09:30 PM
Killing Spree

Mine's bigger than urs (I'm trying to brag ;-) ) but I agree wholeheartedly with showing the IPs of cheaters.

I dont agree with you posting the IPs of ppl that havent done anything Digz, as your publicly available lists do. But as Donut mentioned to you, I have incorporrated your lists into my search engines on all our servers