You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Unread 24th July, 2006, 02:45 AM
Holy Shit!!

Default Formal complaint against BackFromHell ?

There's been many bans due to this person somehow faking/stealing keys (or an equivalent hash). This character has been clearly identified as being a subscriber to Wanadoo france. Like many ISPs Wanadoo probably has a TOS which stipulate that such activities could put an immediate end to a contract.

However, to forward a formal complaint, it should ideally be backed by all those that have seen their cd key abused. If necessary, this could lead to further action through the local cybercrime unit.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.

Last edited by Azura : 24th July, 2006 at 02:58 AM.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 04:22 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Complaint

I dont know how all this works, but since yesterday an admin thought i was cheating just because i had 190 of ping and i was using just lg and shock, well if you have high ping and the server has utcomp 1.6a with enhanced netcode on, you know why i was using just them, but i didnt care much about being banned from that server, but today i was going to play and I am now banned from all "UTAN" servers because i have a global ban, this ban is because this guy backfromhell "stoled" my cdkey, and other ppl have the same problem with this guy, and it all relates with the UTAN ban system, i think this guy is getting the guid's or making global bans within UTAN itself.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 07:25 AM
Dominating

Don't forget the hacking TAM servers part.

I don't know if a formal complaint would work. I (blindly) assume that Epic has tried that as well, but apparently it didn't really make a difference.
TG:m00! - Admin of The Gifted Clan's TAM Servers ( Status / TAM #1 / TAM #2 )
Unread 24th July, 2006, 10:44 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrei
i think this guy is getting the guid's
There's been rumours of fake servers being used to collect cd key hashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbar
I don't know if a formal complaint would work. I (blindly) assume that Epic has tried that as well, but apparently it didn't really make a difference.
Such a complaint should be taken into account by an ISP. If it can be associated with theft than cybercrime can intervene.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 11:47 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura
There's been rumours of fake servers being used to collect cd key hashes.
Not rumours. Fact, I'm afraid. If you visit one then the info logged lets them play online as your copy of the game.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 02:04 PM
Forum Newcomer

how can one disturbed lamer get away with this while we have to buy another copy of the game. He's been stealing all over the world. Every time a server has 10 people and if he does that one day. And the admins see who it is, it's the same guy every time, but you still ban other people's keys. How many keyhashes must he have by now. He's been doing it for a few days and collected maybe over 1000. And all those people must now buy another. If UTAN sees this guy aimbotting, why can't they ban his ip, it seems to be the same one over and over again. At least it stops for a while cuz with whatever keyhash he plays with, his ip is permanently banned. Does it mean btw...if i join a public server a serveradmin can always see my keyhash? What kind of protection is that. I hope this will be fixed in ut2007, cuz i am not buying another copy. And if I am unable to play my clanmatches, so be it.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 02:20 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
He's been doing it for a few days and collected maybe over 1000
This has been going on for many months. Your estimate is low to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
if i join a public server a serveradmin can always see my keyhash?
What's displayed (Your GUID) is unique to your copy but cannot be used to impersonate you online.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 02:54 PM
Forum Newcomer

I didn't know this was going on for months. I've been reading the forums now and this is bigger then I thought.This might even be the reason why UT2k4 has so many empty servers. All this guids that have been banned can't play the servers any more. If this dude times right, he can have a whole clan banned. You might as well lift all bans and stick with anticheat software only. I know it's not the purpose of utan. But this is getting out of hand. 15000 people might play this game and 1000 guids. So he has half of this people guids and gets them banned? And he is probably not the only one.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 02:56 PM
Forum Newcomer

and 1000 guids = and 1000 guids is a low estimation of the guids he has
Unread 24th July, 2006, 03:01 PM
Holy Shit!!

It can be fixed but it needs possibly a rather large patch to fix it and Epic are busy on 2k7.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 03:18 PM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFEAR.PâR�*Cøñdå
All this guids that have been banned can't play the servers any more. If this dude times right, he can have a whole clan banned. You might as well lift all bans and stick with anticheat software only. I know it's not the purpose of utan.
You know, Paraconda has a point here. When so many are banned it is a valid question whether for this special case there shouldn't be a special treatment for the 'BFH' bans. If someone is clearly the victim of theft by BFH and complains about it here, than unban him. In all probability BFH will be using keys by the minute and wont go back to this earlier key, So it is no use to keep the specific key banned, because no one (except maybe the proper owner) will be cheating with it.
Anyway, BHF will keep on aimbotting whether we ban him or not.

Ursa..
Unread 24th July, 2006, 03:23 PM
Godlike

It's yet another flaw in the idea behind UTAN...

I agree with a formal complaint to the ISP, but in past experience they rarely listen
Unread 24th July, 2006, 03:24 PM
out of order

We are already thinking about ways to limit GUID bans through a combination of black and white listing IP ranges and/or hostmasks, but our current database structure doesn't really allow for any easy way to implement this. I already have an idea how to hack it in, but it would probably require a lot of questionable code and definitely requires a new serveractor version.

Last edited by Wormbo : 24th July, 2006 at 03:28 PM.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 04:03 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardukar
It's yet another flaw in the idea behind UTAN...
It's not a flaw in UTAN at all, it's a flaw in UT.

The only way this is going to be properly stopped is through recoding UT2k4 and the master server, anything short of that is only temporary.
Unread 24th July, 2006, 04:04 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler
It's not a flaw in UTAN at all, it's a flaw in UT.

The only way this is going to be properly stopped is through recoding UT2k4 and the master server, anything short of that is only temporary.
See Wormbo's post above for the problem I was getting at...
Unread 24th July, 2006, 04:06 PM
Holy Shit!!

I understand what you were getting at, but if it is fixed in the method I mention then all of the BFH bans (and related stolen key hash bans) will become obsolete and can be removed
Unread 24th July, 2006, 04:54 PM
Forum Newcomer

I fell victim to this as well.

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...4673#post94673

unban me? =(
Unread 24th July, 2006, 06:36 PM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
This has been going on for many months. Your estimate is low to the best of my knowledge.
This might not be a popular suggestion. But only play on servers that you know should be safe. Like TWL member clan servers or the like. Don’t know if that has a hole in it but for the time being it couldn't hurt with the way things are going. It’s better to error on the side of caution then not.

How about an authorized server list of known safe servers for people. I don't know if that would work or not. But it would give people somewhere to look for a safe place to play. And it would keep any possible new servers from being alienated from the rest. Have a group decide if you and your server are legit. May not be plausible but just a thought.

And I know what a UTAN servers. My question is can they use UTAN as a ploy against everyone by spoofing as a UTAN server?

Last edited by BlackCloud : 24th July, 2006 at 06:41 PM.