You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Linux Specific

Unread 3rd June, 2005, 12:22 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default Ack! Help! Where do I start!!!

Hi Folks,

Got referred to here by NeoNite from BuF <--- please don't hold it against him

I am on a VERY steep learning curve here.

I am a UT admin here for 2 aussie based NW UT servers - TTM and CTF and very new at the job. However, I have been admining online communites for 10 years though but this is my first games server admin "job".

I began playing UT online (mainly CTF) in Dec 2003 and had a 3 months break towards the end of last year. The server has had no protection and was largely neglected. Coming back on the server after the break - it had gotten a lot worse. Abusive players, botters, lamers, etc. was happening every day. Many of the older players were no longer coming on and rarely was the server full. Suspicion was rampant and morale was very low.

It got to a point where I wrote a letter of complaint detailing all the problems and then ack! I was asked to PR admin the CTF server - which I accepted. That was about 3 months ago. Since then I have managed to clean language and abuse up, add some "new" maps, be around to kick the scum and in about the past month or so the server has been full virtually every night, morale is a lot better and some of the old school players have returned.

We've started a UT CTF clan comp - which has aroused a lot of interest and the head systems admin for the telco company that provides the free gaming servers (they provide free servers for a lot of other games too) now wants to put a 3rd server up dedicated to clan comp matches. At last week's match a guy was caught cheating (a known botter) and we figure it is a good time to get protection on this new server and then over to the popular server.

The head server admin wants this new server up by next Friday. I know vritually nothing about PURE or how it is to be configured. The same with ASH. The same with server side chat logging. There is also so much about the client that I don't even know!!! I haven't even got around to creating custom binds yet (e.g. login/logout as admin while a player). Webadmin is easy to use - very straight forward. So I normally have webadmin open on my Mac beside the windows box I use to play. The server is running linux.

Is there anywhere I can go where I can discuss with experienced UT server admins what needs to be done and to configure the protection?

TIA!

Last edited by Heffalump : 3rd June, 2005 at 12:33 PM.
Unread 3rd June, 2005, 01:12 PM
Holy Shit!!

Use UTPure and UTDC. Make sure that you let UTDC do an MD5 check on the UTPure files, and disable UTDC kick for speedhack and processcheck.

Then you should be just about set.
Unread 3rd June, 2005, 01:56 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaMan
Use UTPure and UTDC. Make sure that you let UTDC do an MD5 check on the UTPure files, and disable UTDC kick for speedhack and processcheck.

Then you should be just about set.
and OSCare=True
Unread 3rd June, 2005, 08:43 AM
Holy Shit!!

Personally I dont do that, because of the OS faking hooks.
Unread 3rd June, 2005, 11:59 AM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the quick replies

So no ASH?

Googled for a place to d/l PURE - found some but don't know which version to use - is there an official site?

And I haven't heard of UTDC - googled and it brought me back to these forums. Is there an official site?

Thanks again - much appreciated
Unread 3rd June, 2005, 12:00 PM
Godlike

if there's any hooks faking the OS it's private and not very widespread...i haven't seen any do it
Unread 3rd June, 2005, 12:28 PM
Holy Shit!!

There are hooks that do this, but I dont know how widespread they are.