You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > Cruickys Lab > Suggestions

Unread 29th June, 2005, 02:14 PM
Forum Newcomer

Talking 16bit .vs. 32 bit

hello everyone
well first time around and i have been checking for ideas on 16/32 bit
well many people complain that people "hack" when using 16 bit. well i wanna stop that. i wonder if any1 could creat or if it already out there a mutator that kicks the player when entering and when playing while using 16 bit. and give them a message saying "go to preferences and chance ur settings to 32 bit before u play here".
well thanx for ur time and if any suggestions please contact me
[email address]
Unread 29th June, 2005, 08:42 AM
Holy Shit!!

I really dislike this. Because some (older) graphics cards are limited to running in 16bit. (I myself played on 16bit for 4 years)

The idea that someone is cheating if he uses 16bit is just nonsense.
Unread 29th June, 2005, 09:36 AM
Holy Shit!!

My old PC lagged like a bitch when I used 32 bit. I know a lot of people who use 16.
Unread 29th June, 2005, 01:35 PM
Killing Spree

thats the biggest peace of BS i ever heard tbfh !!!
Unread 29th June, 2005, 01:43 PM
Holy Shit!!

Hey, just get everyone to run at 16 bit so they are all doing the same thing! koff koff
Unread 29th June, 2005, 02:09 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster
Hey, just get everyone to run at 16 bit so they are all doing the same thing! koff koff
Yeah, but we still need a mutator to force them to set the contrast and brightness to our specifications, and what about the people using these over size monitors?
I mean come on! Is it fair for them to use a 24" monitor when I am using a 17"? If the mutator detects a monitor over 17", or a video card with more then 64 megs of ram, it should automatically kick them and ban them from all servers permently for cheating. Fair is fair, but using better hardware then me is cheating!
Unread 29th June, 2005, 04:29 PM
Forum Newcomer

i am sorry guys but what i need this mutator is for a sniping camping server. which has maps with "secrets" and it would b a great help if any1 could help me out here. and y not buy a better graphic card if u like playing the game, play it to its full capacity
Unread 29th June, 2005, 04:43 PM
Holy Shit!!

So what you are talking about, is people who are able to look through false walls? There are several settings that will affect this. Back when I used Direct3D I never saw it, but when I switched to openGL I suddenly found that I could see through some of them (in most cases I cannot see through them, but I can very often see exactly where those secret areas are), and some people can see through more of them than I can. Depends on what settings they use.

Oh and in case you wonder - I did not change my settings spesifically to be able to do this.

Edit 2: I am talking about original UT, I use Direct3D for UT2004.

Last edited by PizzaMan : 29th June, 2005 at 04:51 PM.
Unread 30th June, 2005, 07:21 AM
Forum Newcomer

exactly what i would like to prevent
Unread 30th June, 2005, 08:42 AM
Holy Shit!!

Well ye I understand that. But to me, 16 bit and 32 bit looks pretty much the same. Except that on some custom rifle servers, the scope does not show with 16 bit.

Last edited by PizzaMan : 30th June, 2005 at 08:45 AM.
Unread 30th June, 2005, 10:38 AM
Killing Spree

above
(belived to be caused by a bad fomat of the textures pallete) can be fixed.
Unread 12th September, 2005, 06:19 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default 16bit / 32 bit

Allthow 16 bit is an option in the game, we would like to have an option to let the server only to be played upon in 32 bit.

That way we wont have to deal with all the blabla 16 bit "cheaters"bull.

Yes 16 bit is not a cheat, but it would be nice to have a mod to choose.

Sap.
Unread 12th September, 2005, 10:04 PM
Godlike

Total Bullcrap.....................That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of in UT.

Last edited by Warped_Out : 13th September, 2005 at 05:59 PM.
Unread 3rd November, 2006, 12:54 AM
Rampage

well well

its funny i have seen alot of posts on this and all i see is people who will use any advantage to win

16bit sees through textures and around corners, how the hell does that make it fair and where is skill involved when someone can see through or around a texture. soo funny
Unread 3rd November, 2006, 02:12 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
well well

its funny i have seen alot of posts on this and all i see is people who will use any advantage to win
Did you just say that everyone who have posted in this (old) thread will use any advantage to win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
16bit sees through textures and around corners, how the hell does that make it fair and where is skill involved when someone can see through or around a texture.
If that happens, then the mapper did a bad job. You will never see this effect in a stock map.
Unread 3rd November, 2006, 07:35 AM
Holy Shit!!

A passing note about 16 and 32-bit display in UT : playing in 16-bit should have a bigger performance impact since colours are interpolated. That said there are those older cards that seem to perform better in 16-bit.
Unread 3rd November, 2006, 10:58 AM
Holy Shit!!

Yeah it does depend a lot on the card - my old TNT2 used to be uplayable in 32bit

-= F R A G G A L O N I A... R E S U R R E C T I O N! O L D... S K O O L... S N I P E R =- unreal://82.40.94.2

Old skool sniping. Just you, your weapon, and gravity.
Unread 6th November, 2006, 05:21 PM
Rampage

no i am not saying that

i am just saying how is there justification if u can bend the game to gain an advantage, when maybe using skill is more honorable way

and my friend u can use 16 bit in any map, no matter how good its done

especially if u use an old vid card for ex. a voodoo card

know its an old post but lately i am seeing more and more people using 16 bit to gain an advantage and its a lame way to win

just because a game has some faults in it doesn't mean u have to use it

the makers made the game to play it properly

you mise well lump it in with helios , because whats the difference between finding a weakness in the game and making a script to exploit it or taking an old vid card and exploiting a weakness in a texture so u can see around a corner or through a wall . there is no skill in either when it comes to game play, just a weak player trying to use something to make others think he or she is good ( no honour)

and please no excuses about thats all i can afford because now adays u can buy a good vid card at a very cheap price

and remember you have your opinion and i have mine , thats why its call freedom of choice
Unread 6th November, 2006, 06:00 PM
Holy Shit!!

I used 16 bit on my old PC because it gave me a higher fps. Not once have I seen the effect you mention in any stock map.

I have seen it in one particular map that has camper positions where you can see through the wall from the inside. I dont know the name of the map.

You might not like that people can do this, but calling random players cheaters because they can see though those walls is imo just wrong. I have seen how this matter is handled in some zark forums, so I know there is no use in discussing it (and here I am assuming that you are part of the zark/camper sniper community). I think that in stead of hanging out these players as cheaters, they should modify their rifle to stop it. Make it display a big black square or something when you zoom in 16 bit, so that people have to use 32 bit to see their target. If people understand why that happens, they will change it. If they dont understand it, they will leave the server.
Unread 6th November, 2006, 07:48 PM
Rampage

understand you pizzaman, just frustrating when u know someone intentionally sets it up to use it to abuse it

as for running 32 bit gun, u can still bypass it but not zooming out very much

aall has been done to fix but it still gets bypassed

spectated a match recently where a player was using this to give out positions to other players and then even took out 4 players himself using it

in most game types its not a issue except like u said zark/camping