You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Unread 7th September, 2004, 12:14 AM
Rampage

Once again thanks for your response to my 1st question/inquiry!

But as I go back & read & re-read the exchange between "Limited" & "HornDog " a question comes to mind..

Exactly "HOW" does a GUID/PLAYER/IP get on the global ban list besides being flagged by for illegal files on a MULTIPLAY server or one that is Admined by one of the UTAN staff??

As I understand they way UTAN works is that when a player gets kicked by ANTITCC/SAFEGAME/UTSECURE info on the kick/ban is also sent to UTAN.
Now in that info packet that is sent to UTAN isn't the players GUID/IP/NIC/REASON FOR KICK/BAN included?
So if a player is kicked/banned by ANTITCC/SAFEGAME & said info is sent through the UTAN system that is installed in our servers, wouldn't that be hard to spoof??

For I would think that the data that is sent out through UTAN itself is saved & compiled some where on the UTAN servers that would be sorta/kinda of a pain-in-the-ass for an admin to SPOOF!

YES??

.......... & FOR ARGUMENT SAKE LETS SAY......

After said info on the KICK/BAN is received by UTAN, & being that the incident is a straight up kick/ban/flag by one of the anti-cheat apps wouldn't that be enough for UTAN to request further info??
UTAN knowing that it is virtually impossible for an admin to connect to his server & spoof someones else's IP/GUID/etc, wouldn't the log's of the incident be sufficient, also taking into account that often times most of theses cheaters have been flagged on more then 1 server. So if someone's is kicked by more then 1 server for AIMBOT/SKINHACK/ETC would that be enough for UTAN to issue a global ban??

I hope that the thought I'm trying to convey is some what coherent??

Or is the only way for me to get info on players who cheat on other servers is to form an alliance with a few other admins & share bans in the hacking category? {for I feel that the ANNOYANCE bans are a subjective area}

I also notice that the majority in fact 99.9% of global ban's are issued for incidents that occurred on EUROPEAN SERVERS.

For if a GUID is been flagged for HACKS on 3-4 servers that have different Admins that should be enough, unless there is a conspiracy, or at least for the player to explain him/herself.

.....or am I way off base??

I welcome ANY thoughts on the subject..

-=tf=-
Unread 7th September, 2004, 12:35 AM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaN
Exactly "HOW" does a GUID/PLAYER/IP get on the global ban list besides being flagged by for illegal files on a MULTIPLAY server or one that is Admined by one of the UTAN staff??
Until UTAN 2.0, there isnt.
Quote:
As I understand they way UTAN works is that when a player gets kicked by ANTITCC/SAFEGAME/UTSECURE info on the kick/ban is also sent to UTAN.
Only SafeGame and this would only be in UTAN 2.0. This is what I was refering to earlier in the thread.
Quote:
For I would think that the data that is sent out through UTAN itself is saved & compiled some where on the UTAN servers that would be sorta/kinda of a pain-in-the-ass for an admin to SPOOF!
Exactly
Quote:
After said info on the KICK/BAN is received by UTAN, & being that the incident is a straight up kick/ban/flag by one of the anti-cheat apps wouldn't that be enough for UTAN to request further info??
Would go either straight to a UTAN Global Ban or a ACR ban (More about ACR when UTAN 2.0 comes out)
Quote:
So if someone's is kicked by more then 1 server for AIMBOT/SKINHACK/ETC would that be enough for UTAN to issue a global ban??
Not really, an admin or player could register multiple accounts to abuse this. The amount of background checking for ban conversions is insane, I can't afford for UTAN to have a fake ban reach the global level, we would be shut down.
Quote:
Or is the only way for me to get info on players who cheat on other servers is to form an alliance with a few other admins & share bans in the hacking category?
UTAN 2.0 has a buddy system so you can share bans with admins you trust inside UTAN.
Quote:
I also notice that the majority in fact 99.9% of global ban's are issued for incidents that occurred on EUROPEAN SERVERS.
All UTAN Head Admins are European, what do you expect
Unread 7th September, 2004, 02:28 AM
Holy Shit!!

Smile

So just what does the future hold for Global Bans then
Unread 7th September, 2004, 02:45 AM
Holy Shit!!

And also,
I lost all editing Abilities ...... WaaaHaaaaaaa.......

Utan is a great system
I look forward to Utan2 ,
specially since I run SG!
After some recent post of mine I can see Utan2 is gonna create hell for some ladders here in North America, I have several Admins whom I trust that will be added to my buddies list for NA servers. I think the Admins should really sit down and make a list of Server Admins that are/can be trusted.
Personally I can't see to many Admins whom have been around here for awhile faking bans....... Go back and trace alot of the bans and they lead to bans on different servers under different names. Personally I think the worry level of an Admin faking a Ban is a little out of hand.... Any Admin if ever caught doing such a thing would be instantly Shunned by everyone in this Community. I also see the Server Admins List in Utan need's a real overhaul, as past cheaters caught are still listed, and some accounts are so unactive it is ridiculous.
Also, maybe some-one can tell me how the hell my team is supossed to play on a ladder over here in North America with only 14 teams on it and 5-6 Admins Sharing a Ban of a player caught on their Buddies list So , basically if say 4 Admins use the Buddy System, and they all ban a player caught 100% legit aimbotting, your going to tell me that this particular peep won't get added to the Global Ban list? Unless of Course Player X is caught aimbotting on a ladder, then it get's added immediately.......
Just questions for ya's I respect you all, and I think Utan is just Awesome and I thank you all for your hard work in maintaining this system.

Peace
Brando`
Unread 7th September, 2004, 05:11 AM
Rampage

I HOPE no offense was taken by my question & hypothetical, for they were asked with all due respect?

I was merely trying to fully grasp some of the UTAN dynamics, as far as how GLOBAL bans go.
I PROUDLY run UTAN on my servers.. I love the concept.

Now for the next round of Q & A's..

RANT MODE/ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited
Only SafeGame and this would only be in UTAN 2.0.
So if we DO NOT run SAFEGAME & choose to run ANTITCC, none of the players flagged for cheats will go to UTAN??
To put it another way if we want our servers to INTERFACE with UTAN then we'll have to run SAFEGAME??
WHY, are you trying to reinvent the wheel??
I know that SAFEGAME is still in it's infancy & I don't doubt Cruicky's coding ability. But so far I haven't been able to run it for any periods of time on my servers. {lag, stutters, etc}
All of which I 'm sure will be addressed in future releases, I just would have thought that you would've ANNEXED ANTITCC.
Then again I don't know the full scope of either, as well as how each will interface with each other.

I do commend & have great respect for all the people who create these applications, mods that help me as well as the rest of the community provide a place for people to enjoy themselves.
Especially any that helps us keep out the minority of cretins that try to spoil it for the rest of us. I won't even dignify them by referring to them as PLAYERS.
I wish that I were able to contribute an application that would aid to the betterment of the platform we offer to the public.
So in lieu of that I open our servers to the public when not in use by any of the MJD family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited
__________________________________________________ _______________
__________________________________________________ _______________
All UTAN Head Admins are European, what do you expect
WELL ACTUALLY... I expected that cheaters that have been caught cheating on N.American servers that post in the UTAN forum that they have indeed used aimbots that they would be added to the global list..

I just checked again there is NOT 1 SINGLE ban from a N.American server.
If ALL THE HEAD ADMINS are European how will we ever be included??
--->& in reply to you statement that Admin can register multiple times to spoof. Just don't make it that ANY TOM, DICK or HARRY can register.
Unless I'm VERY MISTAKEN I see some names on the UTAN server Admin list that appeared in the BAN THREAD. Shouldn't they lose that?
Also someone's server should be verified 1st just as you guys do for access to the UT ADMIN FORUM. It is easier to be a member of UTAN then to VIEW that forum. In addition do not allow registration to UTAN just so people can access the data base, if they register their server with UTAN & their server doesn't ping back, hence their NOT ACTUALLY/ACTIVELY running it, then that account/access becomes DISABLED..

RANT MODE/OFF

Now that I may have alienated myself? I hope that I didn't!
I think that I have a grasp on the course of action to follow for Admins such as myself.
As I stated I love the CONCEPT & will continue to run UTAN but just not it the way I have.
I think Brando67 hit it with a "HEADSHOT"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando67
I have several Admins whom I trust that will be added to my buddies list for NA servers. I think the Admins should really sit down and make a list of Server Admins that are/can be trusted.

THANK YOU
For tolerating my babbling
I'm actually a harmless New Yorker
-=tf=-
Unread 7th September, 2004, 10:49 AM
out of order

I really REALLY hope there will never be any completely automatic bans because anti-cheat mods are bound to produce false positives. I guess UTAN 2 will receive a list of suspiciuos players by SafeGame, which, after being checked by a human being, could be added to the ban list.
All bans entered into the UTAN system have been added manually by a server admin registered at the UTAN website.
Unread 7th September, 2004, 04:38 PM
Unstoppable

DaMaN - I think SafeGame is the only anti-cheat mod that will use UTAN 2.0's ability to auto upload bans. If I recall, UTAN 2.0 will have the interface available for Anti-TCC to do this as well but Wormbo didn't wish to have Anti-TCC upload bans automatically (based on what he just said above about false positives).

I too am a North American server admin and I understand that UTAN is a European system (since it was created and ran by Europeans ) I'm looking forward to the buddy list so I can share my bans with my fellow "trusted" admins. I hope that the filter system will allow me to accept buddy bans for aimbots but not annoyance if I so wish. I have a few annoyance bans and I'm not sure if anyone who wants me as their "buddy" would also want these bans and I don't want to force them upon my fellow admins. But I also won't remove them

I have never used SafeGame before. I've never had a reason to try it out yet. When UTAN 2.0 comes out, I may have to test out SafeGame. But for now I will continue to trust Anti-TCC to do the job (even with its false positives and bugs that sometimes happen).
Unread 7th September, 2004, 05:03 PM
Rampage

Ditto I feel the same way Moose does. I'm also one of our clan's admins, located in N. America and I don't see it as a problem. We use Anti-TCC and Utan on all of our servers as well; and we look forward to the new version
"Utan 2.0" too come out. I'm especially interested in the admin buddy list.

Who knows maybe after Utan 2.0 comes out we all might try out SG too see how it compares with Anti-TCC. Some might switch others might not who knows. The important thing is that we all come together to stop all of the damn cheaters out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Check out Gamers Asylum. Home of the }SotD{ Clan
irc.gamesurge.net Channel: #gamers-asylum
}Souls of the Damned{

}SotD{Skyell
Unread 8th September, 2004, 10:04 PM
Holy Shit!!

This may have been asked, and is probobly a stupid question but hey, I'm still a noob at admining.
Are the GUIDs the only way UTAN bans? or does it also use the IP?
The reason I ask is some IPs are dynamic and I would hate to ban an innocent person because he got some one elses "used" IP.
Unread 8th September, 2004, 11:05 PM
Rampage

I beleive that all bans are associated with your guid and not by your IP.
Partly due to the reason you mentioned.

Check out Gamers Asylum. Home of the }SotD{ Clan
irc.gamesurge.net Channel: #gamers-asylum
}Souls of the Damned{

}SotD{Skyell
Unread 9th September, 2004, 01:39 AM
Holy Shit!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyell
I beleive that all bans are associated with your guid and not by your IP.
Partly due to the reason you mentioned.
All bans are associated with your GUId.
Ip's are used for back-up, specially during traq's,
In-case of a stolen GUID!