You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Linux Specific

Unread 4th September, 2007, 03:16 AM
Godlike

Default Few lag related questions (serversided)

We're experiencing some issues lately, and i'm wondering why.

These issues express themself as if you are not playing the same game anymore. It looks like the game (UT-demo) is often just 'skipping'. like if you tap forward it either skips or somehow bring you back.

I know it has something todo with the ping, like locally you 'fly' towards a location, and it needs time (ping) to correct this on the server. This is not the issue, but i wonder if it's possible when clients are using netspeed things, if this is also affects the server.

We complainted at the gameserver-host, and they tell us to increase the tickrate to 30, which should be in my eyes just nonsense. Sometimes the game just stupidly accelerates for some reason, while no-one is logged in as admin and changing serversettings.

I have a video which basicly shows what i'm dealing with. I tap forward, i'm moving forward, but a second later it corrects me. I know we have a mod thats like coming without any documentation on what it does or is, but it has something todo with spectator-mode of the gameserver itself.

The .ini config of the server is clean, the mods are as far as i know not raping the bandwith or serverload, is it possible if that i type 'netspeed 16000' for example and the server gets affected by this? Is it also possible when people adjust their zeroping stuff the servers zeroping gets affected by this?

I have'nt had a chance to debug the console-log, since it's over 5MB. It'll be a hell of a job to figure out what is wrong. But maybe people in here know what i'm talking about?
Unread 4th September, 2007, 03:48 AM
Unstoppable

Look in f6 stats for packet loss. If there is no packet loss then I will say that there is a problem with the server.
Unread 4th September, 2007, 04:16 AM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Look in f6 stats for packet loss. If there is no packet loss then I will say that there is a problem with the server.
Yeah but what is it? I know gameservers are often shared, and a mapchange on 1 game causes loss or lag on the other server, hence the skips.

I've sended out a complaint, but there's not much they can do. I just wonder if locally changing the netspeed, or zeroping tweaks, would affect the server?
Unread 4th September, 2007, 06:34 AM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lism View Post
I just wonder if locally changing the netspeed, or zeroping tweaks, would affect the server?
No. Setting like this will not affect the server. A problem on a client is cause by : a) loss of packet between client and server, b) not sufficient bandwidth for all the client on a server, c) not sufficient cpu power. This exclude problem like bug (mod that spam accessed none) or exploit (DoS or lag script).
Unread 4th September, 2007, 04:01 PM
Killing Spree

I have noticed that bumping the tickrate from the default 20 to 30...no higher than 35 will help reduce the lag,skip,rubber bullit syndrome in some instances.It seems to help the higher pinging players and does not effect the lower pinging players at all.
Unread 5th September, 2007, 02:26 AM
Godlike

I will try to play with some of these settings mentioned in here soon... hopefully it helps. Otherwise gameservers in general just blow
Unread 5th September, 2007, 03:01 PM
Killing Spree

We use ZERO SERVERS
Excellent support and services at good prices.
Unread 5th September, 2007, 04:25 PM
Holy Shit!!

It looks similar to what servers do to someone using a speedhack, could be the same sort of thing?
as if the client is out of sync with the server and the server is correcting his position

does it happen to everyone or only you and do you (or the server) use multicore cpu's or any power saving cpu 'features'
Unread 5th September, 2007, 08:07 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBe View Post
does it happen to everyone or only you and do you (or the server) use multicore cpu's or any power saving cpu 'features'
I was going to say that Lee,
Its probably down to powersaving. You can not use powersaving with UT servers or clients

Download my UT map CTF-Microhec33 CTF-Microhec33.zip :::: Read The Review