You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > DarkByte's Mods > SemiAdmin

Unread 25th March, 2002, 08:25 AM
Evolution

Hey guys,

The readme.txt that is included with SemiAdmin is a little vague on a few points and features of SemiAdmin, and I don't know if anyone else had the same problem, but I had a bit of trouble understanding some of the finer points of SemiAdmin's Security Access Levels.

I've done a little programming myself, as well as written some help and support documents for various projects, and I know how difficult it can be to be able to see your own project as a person would see it that has never heard of it before. It's hard to conceive of the questions they might have, or the points that may not be clear. Help and Instructions for scripts, programs, etc. will often be the last thing to be written, and especially if the proejct is ongoing, such as SemiAdmin, it can hard to decide exactly what and what not to include in the readme.txt.

The next version of SemiAdmin will be out at some indeterminate point in the near future, but until then, I'm working on a fresh version of the readme.txt. After clearing up a few of my own misconceptions about some of the function in SemiAdmin with Darkbyte, I've put together a help file that I hope will help everyone with any furthur questions you may have about SemiAdmin, or its functions. Due the large amount of information, I've decided to go with the .htm format as opposed to the .txt format, in order to easily reference information in other sections of the readme. For now, it is a readme for version .07, but I am pretty sure I will be writing the complete help file for the next version as well, so if you have any suggestions, comments, questions - anything at all - please let me know, so that I can address them in the help file, and try to make it as comprehensive as possible.

For now, I have put it up on Killer Brutality's Website, but this may change (I am trying to find a permanent hosting company for my web site), and if it does, I will update the link here.
Unread 25th March, 2002, 12:53 PM
LoadedDice

Nice to see someone helping DB with SA.
Unread 26th March, 2002, 05:23 AM
Evolution

Thanks - I really enjoy this mod, and I want to see it progress and take shape. I think it has a lot of potential, and can be very useful. As busy as DB seems these days, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can.

I'm still pretty new at UScripting, but I do know how to code a web page or two, so as soon as the help file is done, I'm going to start on the web admin interface for .07, unless DB gets done with the next version before then. From what he tells me, there isn't really much left to do - just a matter of having a nice block of time to get it finished, and that can be very hard to come by sometimes. So, provided I can puzzle out how the web pages work with the .u's (doesn't seem that difficult) I'll let you guys know about any progress I make with that as well.

Evolution
Unread 29th March, 2002, 09:59 PM
Evolution

Just wanted to update you guys on where we're at. I am almost finished with the Web Admin interface. Perhaps by the end of this upcoming week (April 1st) I'll be done with it. I am also going to finish up the new help file this weekend, and will be moving everything over to my new website -

http://www.no-networks.com/semiadmin/

The domain name should be fully propagated by Sunday or so, so if the link doesn't work, check back after then.

Next up for me is ingame HUD menu for SemiAdmin - hopefully DB will have the next version finished by the time I start on this
Unread 30th March, 2002, 07:37 PM
HogMan

Thanks for putting some time into this. I use SemiAdmin all of the time, its great to see people helping out
Unread 31st March, 2002, 03:43 AM
Merc_Priest

nice
Unread 3rd April, 2002, 09:45 AM
Evolution

Alright, here is the new URL for the help file:

Semi-Admin Usage & Instuctions

This will be the permanent location for the latest version of the help information! I'll let you know if there are any changes to this.

And as always, please let me know if there are any ways I can make this better or more concise & understandable for you guys.
Unread 9th April, 2002, 02:24 PM
Merc_Priest

any news yet?
Unread 9th April, 2002, 09:36 PM
DarkByte

I'm working on it .. but just lately i hurt my neck, and i'm forced to use a neckbrace (sp?). This completely makes me numb, i can hardly think with it, and the pain is not easy to bear.

Also, because i was trying to make it more modular, i had to redo most of the hierarchy and i changed my mind a couple of times, but i believe i'm in the right direction now.

I cant give an out date yet, but i'm progressing.
Unread 10th April, 2002, 07:23 PM
Prezident

Quote:
Originally posted by Evolution
Just wanted to update you guys on where we're at.  I am almost finished with the Web Admin interface.  Perhaps by the end of this upcoming week (April 1st) I'll be done with it.  

Looking forward to more interface options for this. I could see myself memorizing the commands, but the people I am thinking of using it for might have a hard time with it. Either way a GUI that could be sent to the intended people, or a Web Interface could make things a lot easier.
Unread 14th April, 2002, 06:34 PM
Evolution

Still working on it. Taking longer than I thought, but it's coming together quite nicely.

Thinking should be done by May 1st.
Unread 2nd May, 2002, 05:04 PM
Prezident

So how's that coming along now?

I don't get to make it by here very often, but I will try to keep checking. Still interested in seeing what you come up with.

Thanks.
Unread 29th May, 2002, 03:57 PM
Prezident

Tap tap tap...

Hello? Is this thing turned on?
Unread 30th May, 2002, 01:00 AM
LoadedDice

Nope.
Unread 30th May, 2002, 05:42 PM
Prezident

Hmmm, guess it doesn't matter since they will be putting similar features into TOST now.
Unread 31st May, 2002, 12:14 AM
LoadedDice

Quote:
Originally posted by Prezident
Hmmm, guess it doesn't matter since they will be putting similar features into TOST now.
Yup.

Such a shame SemiAdmin died off. It had SOO Much potential.
Unread 9th July, 2002, 06:49 PM
Evolution

Haha,

Relax

Very sorry about the delay in the release. Version 0.10 will be released very soon.

Had to make sure that everything was perfect I think you'll agree that it was definitely worth the wait. With a slick new web interface to make it alot easier, a few new features, and tons of bug fixes, it's alot closer to moving out of beta.
Unread 9th July, 2002, 07:37 PM
[M@R§H]Vaudøux

I suggest you to make semiadmin beeing included into Pure, I think it will really help semiadmin to get known.
Unread 12th September, 2002, 09:29 AM
Evolution

Heh,

I think the consensus is that more than enough has been included in Pure :

SemiAdmin is not the most well-known mod, but for those that use it, it's invaluable. No other mod provides the same functionality with the level of customization that SemiAdmin provides. I began helping DarkByte by writing a better readme.txt and beginning the work on a webadmin interface for SemiAdmin. As time went on, and I began to learn more about programming for UT, I was able to offer a little more help.

As you may or may not know, DarkByte was originally asked to do the Admin programming for UT2K3, based on his work with SemiAdmin and UTPure (among other things). After he completed this, Epic was so pleased with his work that they asked him to help out on other unfinished aspects of UT2K3; as a result, he hasn't been able to work on SemiAdmin at all (and probably won't be able to for quite some time).

However, since I began working with him, I have learned quite a bit, and am currently working on releasing a new version of SemiAdmin, but unfortunately I can't give you an estimated release date. DarkByte will also need to look over my code before it's released to make sure it follows the design he has for SemiAdmin, and that alone may take some time.

As anyone who has downloaded version 0.10 has realized, the online help file was abandoned in lieu of the help file being integrated into SemiAdmin's WebAdmin. I will have the command line help as well as WebAdmin help complete for the next version's release; as for the features that will be included in the next version of SemiAdmin, I'm not sure at this point, but I'll try to post here with more info as I know it.