You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Linux Specific

Unread 19th July, 2012, 11:17 PM
Killing Spree

Default [Solved] Strange lag on fresh install of UT99 on Ubuntu 12.04

Hi all...I had originally started with a different installation of UT on this server, and kept having lag issues, but I had already installed mutators, added custom maps, etc. I was having issues figuring out where this lag was coming from, so I completely wiped all UT directories on the server and reinstalled a fresh copy.

Now when I did this, I figured I'd play before making ANY changes so I could have a baseline and add one thing at a time until I found the culprit....and found that with a fresh install, no changes, there's still this lag that happens every few seconds, that lasts 3-4 seconds at a time. I posted a video on youtube so that you can see what it looks like.

The youtube video is from my phone, sorry for vid quality.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mcjhzkk4H0&feature=plcp

If you prefer to just play it, the server is at unreal://rhinokills.servegame.com:7777

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been fighting with this for two weeks. [NOTE] Since I know it's not the mutators, etc., I've gone ahead and added some other things, and adding more one at a time. The lag happens the same no matter what is installed or used.

Last edited by [email protected] : 14th August, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Unread 19th July, 2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29084

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 19th July, 2012, 11:51 PM
Killing Spree

Thank you very much for the link on how to ask for help. I've been searching all day on google, and found nothing on the forums related to what I'm experiencing, except perhaps running it on a multi-core machine. I did check to see if that was the problem because the machine was given to me. Since it's not a multi-core processor, that can't be the problem.

Unless maybe you could come up with some keywords to use in the search function that I haven't thought of, don't be an ass.
Unread 20th July, 2012, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry that you only read the beginning of that topic. If you would read the rest of it, you'll see that we need more information to determine what your problem is. Don't be ignorant.

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 20th July, 2012, 01:43 AM
Killing Spree

Ok brainz, check this out.... quoted from YOUR post about asking for help.

Quote:
Post your server.log/ucc.log or other log file from the time you are having the problem. If the log file is large, zip it up and upload it to a web server.
Let us know your platform. (Windows, Linux)
Hardware information. (List important details about the server you are hosting the game server on. CPU speed, total system RAM, if you don't know. Don't worry.)
Configuration settings. (Post your ini files. Be sure you remove any sensitive passwords. Remember, if you are having a problem with UTDC, then post the UnrealTournament.ini and the ActionMan.ini files so we can see your settings)
If you'd read my post, you'd know there's no point because it's happening with NO changes made to the ut server. So there's nothing showing up in the logs, no errors, so it's a waste of time to post it because there's nothing amiss in it.

Quote:
If someone is here asking questions, chances are they do not know much. So giving them a generic answer/tip may not be the solution. This works both ways. We ask them to give us a much information, so lets give them just as much information regarding there problem as well.
This doesn't really describe me as I'm not a noob to ut servers. However, it does describe you because you posted a "generic answer/tip" telling me to read a post about how to get help.

Please just don't reply unless you're actually willing to READ MY ORIGINAL POST and maybe offer some things to look for, as all you're doing right now is wasting my time.
Unread 20th July, 2012, 01:05 PM
Unstoppable

Hello if the lags appear also in other servers and if your client is windows please try this:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30336

If the above does not apply please give this a chance:
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/u...ashFix_v11.zip

Try with different settings (affinity, malloc etc).
Unread 20th July, 2012, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ok brainz, check this out.... quoted from YOUR post about asking for help.

If you'd read my post, you'd know there's no point because it's happening with NO changes made to the ut server. So there's nothing showing up in the logs, no errors, so it's a waste of time to post it because there's nothing amiss in it.

This doesn't really describe me as I'm not a noob to ut servers. However, it does describe you because you posted a "generic answer/tip" telling me to read a post about how to get help.

Please just don't reply unless you're actually willing to READ MY ORIGINAL POST and maybe offer some things to look for, as all you're doing right now is wasting my time.
You're wasting your own time bickering over this.

We have NO IDEA about your setup. What version of Linux you are running, your hardware, what other software is running on the system, the type of Internet connection, the version of UT you are running, your settings, etc... Absolutely NOTHING about your setup.

So your generic "My shits lagging guies, what's wrongz?" isn't helping anyone help you.

So one more time.

Please, read the thread and give us some information regarding YOUR setup.

Then again, since you know oh so much; Why are you even here seeking help in the first place?

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 20th July, 2012, 08:07 PM
Holy Shit!!

Skills is right. You do need to give us the information for a possible diagnosis.

Unread 22nd July, 2012, 11:34 AM
Killing Spree

GEEZ *READ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2399Skillz View Post
What version of Linux you are running, the version of UT you are running, your settings
In case you missed it, the title of this whole thread (that you had to click on to read my first post to begin with) says (copying and pasting for your obvious convenience) "Strange lag on fresh install of UT99 on Ubuntu 12.04". This means I'm running UBUNTU 12.04 version of linux, and it's a UT99 server, and default settings from the server install from THIS site. If I'm getting this much trouble telling you the basic information I ALREADY gave you, maybe I'd be better off asking for help somewhere else...just assumed that unrealadmin.org sounded like a good place to find people who might have had the same experience. On a side note, I noticed your post count....and I'm beginning to understand why it's REALLY so high.

Quote:
your hardware, what other software is running on the system, the type of Internet connection ... Absolutely NOTHING about your setup.
If you must know the hardware in the system, it's an Epox 8K5A2+ motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with 2 gigs ram, one 18GB 10,000 RPM SCSI drive on an Adaptec 2940U2W controller, no other SCSI devices, one 40GB PATA drive (that isn't connected yet), one generic 56X CD-ROM that hasn't been used since the installation of Ubuntu server. Nothing else running on the server except for SSH daemon. As for the internet connection, forgive my assuming that nobody would run a game server on a dialup or DSL connection. It's a 30Mbps Roadrunner connection (That's cable modem, just in case you don't know). Before you go squawking about the internet connection, it doesn't matter at this point, because I'm playing from the same local network the server is on, so at this point, internet connection is eliminated as one of the possibilities.

Quote:
So your generic "My shits lagging guies, what's wrongz?" isn't helping anyone help you.

So one more time.

Please, read the thread and give us some information regarding YOUR setup.

Then again, since you know oh so much; Why are you even here seeking help in the first place?
Take your own advice and "Please, read the thread", because it's the unwillingness to read the information I originally supplied and the random spewing of useless posts that are wasting our time. Please, if you're going to make any more posts, read and think first, because so far, every time you've opened your mouth, stupid has fallen out. And nothing irritates me more than people who won't pay attention...especially when they are telling YOU to.

NOW...iloveut99:

First, just let me thank you for actually offering to help. Now as for the multicore fix, the processor that's running in that server is an Athlon XP 2100+ processor, it's a single core processor running at 1.733 GHz. I wouldn't think that the multicore fix would be applicable, would it (unless maybe addressing more than just a multicore cpu issue)? Also, on the server crash fix you posted, I see in the readme file a few mentions of multicore processors along with other fixes. When I get home tomorrow, I will install it and try combinations of the settings you mentioned and let you know how it goes. Again, thank you for your input.

Last edited by [email protected] : 22nd July, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Unread 22nd July, 2012, 12:13 PM
Godlike

Dude, I'll say it because they just won't: You are being a dick for no reason. I'd be really surprised if anyone bothers to help now. I can tell you I'm certainly not going to tell you anything.

Quote:
If I'm getting this much trouble telling you the basic information I ALREADY gave you, maybe I'd be better off asking for help somewhere else...just assumed that unrealadmin.org sounded like a good place to find people who might have had the same experience.
That's a two-way street, and I wouldn't mind it if you didn't post again either.
Unread 22nd July, 2012, 02:25 PM
Killing Spree

UTTrustedPlayer:

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick...but this guy keeps asking for information, almost all of which I gave in the thread title and the very first post. And he keeps telling me to read...but I've already answered all but one of his questions in the first post. Can't you see why I'm frustrated?

The only other thing I can think of that he's wanting is my Unrealtournament.ini file...which is exactly the same as I downloaded it, I didn't make any changes at all. Also in the first post, I mentioned I'd been fighting with this for two weeks. I've been searching google, this forum, and other forums, and coming up with nothing. How much more cooperative can I be?

I apologize for getting frustrated, but this is the first place I've even posted asking for help. My old clan leader and I used to run an Unreal Tournament community called Unreal Unlimited. In that endeavor, and in others, I've run forums of my own for a long time. I wouldn't even have asked for help without extensive research on my own, and when I did post, I did my best to make the post short and sweet and fully informative. The only thing I didn't mention was the hardware it was running on and other server services, and I'm sorry I left that out. Imagine yourself in my shoes...how would you have felt being repeatedly asked for information that was already there? And then having another person repeat the same request?

2399Skillz:

Please accept my apologies for being rude to you.
Unread 22nd July, 2012, 11:32 PM
Holy Shit!!

You don't need CPU fix for server. Use schedtool to specify affinity.

Which script are you using to start server etc? Have you installed a custom kernel by any chance? From experience. A pre emptive kernel works best for ut.

Unread 23rd July, 2012, 01:44 AM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNY_scarface View Post
You don't need CPU fix for server. Use schedtool to specify affinity.

Which script are you using to start server etc? Have you installed a custom kernel by any chance? From experience. A pre emptive kernel works best for ut.
Well, specifying affinity goes back to iloveut99's suggestion, but the processor is just a single-core 1.7GHz...so there would only be one processor to specify anyway, seems kind of unnecessary, doesn't it?

As for custom kernels, no, I just do updates on it once a week, it's a plain-jane 32-bit install from the CD image on Ubuntu's site. I have since, however, added Apache web server, mail, and ftp servers, but that has had no effect either way on the UT. I did notice, however, that while transferring 10 gigs of files to the server, then back (as a bandwidth/network test), I experienced no slow-downs or lags during the file transfers either way. Used system monitor to watch network throughput as I did it.

You asked which script I use... currently none, just ssh'ing in and using
Code:
./ucc-bin server CTF-Face?game=BotPack.CTFGame?ini=UnrealTournament.ini log=ut.log -nohomedir
I was using ASU that came with the download from this site, but for some reason it would sometimes not stop the server, so I'm using command-line until I get the lag problem resolved, then I'll move to troubleshooting ASU.
While troubleshooting, I always prefer to start with everything stripped away but the core...in this case the UT server...before I add other things like ASU and mods and stuff. However, since I've determined that it's UT itself, and there's no difference when using maps/mutators, I went ahead and added Excessive, which I plan on using parts of, eventually.
Unread 30th July, 2012, 09:56 AM
Killing Spree

Ok, so I've tried the schedtool and both the ServerCrashFix and the multicore fix...hoping that maybe another fix included (for single-core processors) in those might help...but to no avail. I tried combinations of the three, although there's some things in schedtool that don't make any sense to me, and if I don't know about something, I prefer just not to mess with it until I learn. I also tried using/not using ASU, but under all these conditions...no change. It's not making any sense as to what's going on here, but I'm about at the point of just giving up. I just love UT99 too much, and since I have a server running at home anyway, wanted to contribute to keeping it alive while having some fun at the same time. *shrug* But what can 'ya do?

On a side note, I noticed this in dmesg while doing something else...
Code:
via_rhine: Broken BIOS detected, avoid_D3 enabled
Time to chase that down and then go from there, I guess.
Unread 30th July, 2012, 05:11 PM
Godlike

That local network is that via wireless?
What's the ping (F1, F6, system) during the lag periods?
What's the server load (`top`, inject userflag 1) during the lag periods?
Any lags in transfering those 10GB files?
Admin of XOL DOG CTF Fun server: 81.169.188.18 - Stats & dU Coop: 85.14.203.180:5555 - Forum
Unread 1st August, 2012, 08:56 PM
Holy Shit!!

Your youtube video smells like CPU speed confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Code:
./ucc-bin server CTF-Face?game=BotPack.CTFGame?ini=UnrealTournament.ini log=ut.log -nohomedir
Does the Athlon XP 2100+ have cool'n'quiet? Cant remember, and cant be assed to check it either.

Not sure if this will work on a server, but try this:

Code:
./ucc-bin server CTF-Face?game=BotPack.CTFGame?ini=UnrealTournament.ini log=ut.log -cpuspeed=1733 -nohomedir
Unread 4th August, 2012, 05:55 PM
Holy Shit!!

why don't you install windows
BUNNYTRACK NY
Unread 14th August, 2012, 11:03 PM
Killing Spree

rork:
The network connections of both the server and the client were wired (100Mbps)
When I returned home last week I just jumped on and had no problem with lag whatsoever. None. Pisses me off. *LOL* The only thing I can think of (since I no longer have that chipset warning in dmesg) is that maybe it was an issue with some linux package that had been fixed, because the server is set to update/upgrade packages automatically, daily. I still have no clue what the problem was, but it's gone now. The chipset thing is just a guess. *shrug*

Pizzaman:
Your suggestion I have also not tried, because the problem went away. I have some time off this evening so I'll try it and see what happens, if it makes a difference.

qwerty:
I used to use windows...for many years, even though I hated it. Once I finally had the guts to try linux, I've never gone back. I have so many reasons I like linux so much better than windows, but I don't wanna type that much right now. *LOL*

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, and I wish I could share exactly what fixed this, but I simply don't know.
Unread 16th August, 2012, 12:01 AM
Holy Shit!!

Linux is the way forwards

Unread 16th August, 2012, 10:29 PM
Killing Spree

And all in all, linux hasn't even been 1/100th the headache that Windows has always been for me. I, for one, will never go back, except on a small partition to maybe play old games....but not likely. *LOL*