You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Linux Specific

Unread 8th November, 2002, 12:15 AM
Dominating

/me thinks I had better start a new topic

I have seen this mentioned a few times regarding the WebAdmin stopping when it feels like it. Before the 2136 update I had no problems since the update it just dies when it feels like it. sometimes within minutes of the server starting, other times hours after. tonight I had to restart it 3 times before the webadmin would run long enough for me to make changes.

has anyone found a solution for this? and do many people find it happens to them?

and this is still happening after a complete reinstall today (see local stats thread)
Unread 8th November, 2002, 03:22 AM
Killing Spree

Obiwan,

For what it's worth, my installation has ALWAYS had WebAdmin problems... mine seems to run for a while before dying though. I was truly hoping that 2136 would clear up a lot of this crap, but alas, I was clearly too optimistic.

I "deal" with it using a cron job to probe the WebAdmin interface every 5 minutes. If players are on, I don't bother to restart the server just to regain the WebAdmin. Obviously, I can manually reset it if I feel the burning need, but most times I am not around to babysit and thus don't care if the WebAdmin is alive or not.

The following thread contains the cron script I run - you may find it useful:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.p...iewtopic&t=589
Unread 8th November, 2002, 08:22 AM
Dominating

Hi Tark

thanks for that, I unfortunately use webadmin quiet a lot, players want the game type changed once in a while

When i was using the Xinetd fix before the latest update I never had a problem, so when I work out how to get a cron job running I'll be installing the script, thank again

obi
Unread 8th November, 2002, 09:44 PM
Unstoppable

I've saved all my server logs and dug through them a week or two ago... This allowed me to trace the web admin crashes on my server to map changes away from two maps: BR-SlaughterHouse and CTF-Face3... I have no clue why, but everytime my server tried to switch away from these two maps, the web admin would crash, leaving the actual server itself running fine. Only way to recover the web admin was to restart it. Saw this both before (2107) and after (2136) patching.

I have yet to have the web admin hang since I removed these two maps from the lineup. I have also submitted this issue to bugzilla.icculus.org, but I then found it happening on my Win2k-based test server too... Maybe those maps are just corrupted on my cds? The maps in question play fine, at least...
Unread 9th November, 2002, 01:31 AM
Dominating

strange ApocDeath you should say that, I first encountered the problem when I strarted running CTF with new upgrade, previously I had been on DM only!

Face3 was first in my list and as soon as server started it seemed webadmin died, I removed all ctf maps then remade list, leaving out Face3 (because of size and few player, not due to this reason) and webadmin seemed to stabilise, now its on deathmatch again and hasnt died since early this morning! I think you got summin there m8, summin with those 2 maps causing the fault, anyone else get this result with that map?
Unread 9th November, 2002, 03:29 AM
Unstoppable

Thanks! It's nice to get some potential confirmation from another server admin... I am very confident that those two are the problem on my setup, so if others are having the prob, that means there's definitely something game-side broken and worth fixing.

I haven't found any DM maps that have caused the problem, though we've only run about 1/2 to 2/3 of the DM maps so far... Gotta run through the rest at some point just to make sure they're all ok.

All the DOM2 maps are definitely fine, though I doubt we'll be playing that again. My clan digs oldschool DOM...
Unread 9th November, 2002, 07:16 AM
Killing Spree

I haven't run any CTF yet... still having too much fun with Bombing Run, but I can verify that I too have problems with SlaughterHouse.

Your most excellent post prompted me to watch as well, and sure enough SlaughterHouse triggers a failure like clockwork. I've removed it from my list as well...

Thanks!! :notworthy:

Tark
Unread 9th November, 2002, 01:57 PM
Unstoppable

Glad to be of help... Nothing better than making a server less :wall: and more :rocket:

Now if I can only sort out this problem with Matrix Moves beta 4 under the linux classic UT client...
Unread 9th November, 2002, 02:17 PM
Dominating

DM maps appear okay I've run the lot, and webadmin been fine for 36hrs on DM only......so whats up with those two maps? weird huh!
Unread 9th November, 2002, 02:34 PM
Unstoppable

Well, one of my fellow clan co-founders is really getting into making maps for 2k3 now that he went back to his nVidia vid card (ATI Radeon 9700 not UT2k3 friendly AT ALL). Maybe I can con him into taking a look at them....
Unread 9th November, 2002, 03:14 PM
Dominating

brilliant idea /me wishes he could make maps and even knew the ins and outs of ut2k3

feellike all i do here is ask and dont help, hmm need to read more
Unread 9th November, 2002, 04:45 PM
Unstoppable

I did a brief amount of playing in the new UnrealEd, and it's a lot better than the old one was in classic UT. If you want, there are a ton of good tutorials kickin around... Our clan forums are public, and we have a thread with some links we've collected. If you're bored, check it out here:

http://www.apoc.org/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=237
Unread 10th November, 2002, 07:57 AM
Killing Spree

I hate to interrupt a nice segue, but I have one more thing to add on the original topic...

While removing SlaughterHouse from my BR lineup has resulted in no game server crashes since 8 Nov, I have still seen two occurrences of the Web Admin interface going out to lunch. It would appear that although the symptoms are somewhat similar, the causes are not the same.

For what it's worth,
Tark
Unread 10th November, 2002, 05:29 PM
Forum Newcomer

I am running a server with FreeBSD on and I am seeing
a similar problem.

My server quits altogether while changing maps
from Face3 with network errors. I have not tried
BR-SlaugherHouse. My logs show errors while
trying to bind the game ports.

I have noticed that Face3 eats up quite a large amount
of memory while loading, and even more while playing
(average map eats up 80MB to 100MB while loading, Face eats
up 150MB). I believe that BR-SlaughterHouse is also
one of the larger maps in UT2k3.

I'm wondering if some system calls for networking
are failing due to temporarily unavailable resources

I'm curious what kind of failure you guys see in the
log concering WebAdmin failure... Does it also
have something to do with port binding?

Also: Though the official forums are bathed in senseless
noise... Has anyone tried posting there and see what
pops up?
Unread 10th November, 2002, 06:47 PM
Unstoppable

Straight from one of my server logs... Note that I was running Evolution's mutator fix at the time, I also run the "Advanced Web Admin" which is supposedly not supported... nevertheless, I have similar errors and associated web admin failures before applying Evolution's fix and before I enabled the xadmin. Also I made sure that the same thing occurs post-2136 patch, and it does, with or without xadmin (it appears only Evolution's mutators bug fix was integrated into the patch)... Anyway, this is it:

MyWebAdmin.WebServerAdmin Initialized on Port 8888
WebServer BR-TwinTombs.WebServer (Function UWeb.WebServer.BeginPlay:01EE)
BindPort: bind failed

...and this occurs everytime the webadmin tries to spawn for a new map after Slaughterhouse...

The theory I hear kicking around is something like the webadmin being too slow to shut itself down, so the new one can't come up... Might make some sense being as those two maps are large... However I have no probs with TwinTombs, which is slightly larger than Slaughterhouse, nor DOM-Outrigger, which is smaller than those two, but definitely larger than Face3... So, yeah, I got nothin, besides a barebones personal solution... I don't run those two maps, I have no problems. Just something for people to try if they're having probs.

As for the official forums, it's so rare that anything worthwhile goes on there... Any help I've gotten in the server admin forum was from people from here, so I say go to the source! I'm also on the Linux UT2003 email list, and they've not said much about this stuff. As I said before, I posted what I've seen/done to bugzilla.icculus.org, so those who should know about this do by now.
Unread 16th November, 2002, 11:57 PM
Forum Newcomer

any way to start it from the game console as admin in a game?
Unread 17th November, 2002, 01:45 AM
Unstoppable

Start what, the web admin?

If that is what you're referring to, then yeah, supposedly, but it's a pain... Much easier to go in and set it up in your UT2003.ini. That way you can configure port usage, etc. Check a good admin console command summary like the one kicking around here on unrealadmin... I believe there's a command to set variables in the game, (and the webadmin gets enabled by setting bEnabled=True in the UWeb.WebServer class) but as I said, it's not the easiest thing in the world to remember.
Unread 17th November, 2002, 04:37 AM
Forum Newcomer

i mean, when the webadmin dies, instead of restarting the server and cutting everyones connection (who ever is playing) is there a way to restart web admin from in game console.

I believe in ut you could call the web admin package/actor to start it up, can this be done in ut2k3?
Unread 17th November, 2002, 06:00 AM
Unstoppable

Could be... I suppose what one could attempt is to actually attempt to shut down the webadmin by doing the opposite of what I suggested in my last post, and set bEnabled=False. Then if it actually were shutdown properly, one could bring it back up again by setting bEnabled=True again.

However, as I said, what a pain! If I have to do that everytime through the map rotation, or at least everytime I want to access the webadmin, that kindof kills the sweet convenience of the webadmin! No, I definitely prefer to dump the maps until this matter is dealt with appropriately... We're already swimming in new maps anyway, so it's not like they're really missed anyway...
Unread 19th November, 2002, 05:48 PM
Forum Newcomer

I see that Epic/DE/Loki are starting to post the details for the next patch.

Quickly scanning through the list of bug fixes, I do not see any bug
fixes that appear to address this problem with ports and changing
maps for Face3 and Slaugherhouse.

If someone knows how, and assuming it has not been reported bfore
... I think we should submit an official bug report to Epic/DE/Loki....

I personally don't know how - the only bug reporter I've seen is the one that pops up when the game goes south on windows....