You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > Server Admins Open Forum

Unread 31st October, 2003, 05:54 PM
DeadMeat

Quote:
Originally posted by KillerJB
So what is the opinion on what a large ban list is
I think you've got a good handle on it.. a large ban list is one that causes a computer to spend to much time on each packet and then causes lag! It's dependant on CPU size, traffic volumn, number of players, and other stuff.

BTW, logging and large log files are key factors in causing lag as well.. As you caught with the ZA logging. Be aware that windows tries to "cache" files that are being appended to. Once had a Windows system running at a crawl because an app was appending to the end of a Giga byte size log file. Each time it would right to it, windows would page everything out and back in. Thrash city!

GL HF
|LCN|DeadMeat
--
Dodging the bullet only delays the inevitable in UT.
Unread 31st October, 2003, 06:51 PM
LeeBe

had a similar thing in UT. it was trying to write to a 3gig log file that was before I made it read only...

btw Deadmeat, have you got a signature generator??
a new one for every post.... and not just on this board..
Unread 3rd November, 2003, 09:00 PM
DeadMeat

I probably should get/write a sig generator.. Currently, it's based on a mental list of.. Gee, I could use that. Just call me crazy or quirkie..

|LCN|DeadMeat
--
They're coming to take me away, haha hoho hehe
Those little white men in thier little white coats..
To the funny farm where life is gay.. haha hoho hehe
Unread 6th November, 2003, 03:20 AM
L.O.S.T.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeadMeat
I probably should get/write a sig generator.. Currently, it's based on a mental list of.. Gee, I could use that.  Just call me crazy or quirkie..

|LCN|DeadMeat
--  
They're coming to take me away, haha hoho hehe
Those little white men in thier little white coats..
To the funny farm where life is gay.. haha hoho hehe
Yep, you're crazy enough to have a signature generator. So, why
don't you just make up one?
Unread 10th November, 2003, 11:55 PM
Klak

Quote:
Originally posted by KillerJB

I set my max connections to 1 per minute. the default of 5 per minute with 15 or 20 different ip's coming in will kill your server connection for sure.

Get use to it admins, this will not end. If you want to run a server you will need to be on top of this all the time.
Greetings, all, from a newb. Thank you for this forum, and for fighting an un-winable war.

I run my server (dedicated, 512 connection) on a PII 600, 256 RAM, Linux. 440 patch.
Excessive Overkill Mod, RocketX Mod. Big fun!
65.165.29.130:10700
I tried banning a range of IP's using the UT ban list, to no avail.
I also tried the "max connections 1 per minute", to no avail. They get ignored, but minute later, it starts up again.
I also queried the RIPE whois, sent messages to the admins, most of whom were helpful. One IP was a rooted Russian Telekom box! But alas, it's too much @#$%^& to deal with.
I just run on a non-standard port. Doesn't seem to advertise to
Epic's Master Server though... I get a UDP recvfrom Error when I start the server, I think its a Linux config problem, maybe firewall related... dunno.
ALSO: Hope this isn't off-topic, but I suspect a player of using radar... I really don't know much about all that crap, but I really sensed something was up. I googled "unreal Tournament Radar"
and had a copy of the [ELF] Helios Radar in a matter of minutes.
Their readme says it beats RC6E... If I get UTSecure, will it at least allow me to verify?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 11th November, 2003, 03:00 AM
KillerJB

Don't have an answer for your radar question , but get yourself a firewall and end those connection attempts before they get to your server.
Unread 11th November, 2003, 03:12 AM
L.O.S.T.

You're right. Those DoS attacks piss me off a lot. I have one.
Unread 15th November, 2003, 01:44 PM
KillerJB

Strange thing this morning. Two of the major redirects are down and suddenly there are no more attacks on my server.

I am getting no hits in my ZoneAlarm.

UPDATE: wrong again, it seems to be unrelated to redirects. new attacks different ip's started several hours later. this is annoying and lots of fun.