You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 17th August, 2002, 01:21 AM
Dominating

Hiya guys!
I gotten alot of great info here, so I thought Id post a few things I do to speed up my UT server.

1. Back up all maps, textures, and sound files you arent going to use to a folder outside UT and delete them from your game folders. If you plan on running only CTF, then deleting the other map types and thier associated files will remove 100's of megs and make UT run alot faster.

2. If you are going to use your unrealtournament.ini file to run a server, back it up, and then remove all lines not needed to run a server. You dont need the sound, video, game lobby interface refrences in the ini, cuz the server its self doesnt use them. Remeber to change it back before you get on to play, or start your sever from the command line and ref a renamed version of your edited unrealtournament.ini so you can still play on the same machine.

3. If you are running XP, change UT and your network cards priority to HIGH if you have at least 256megs of RAM. This will give your network card a 2 - 10 Kb boost, and add a few more KB of ram to UT.

4. Read the tute on running UT as a service

5. Use a redirect server.

6. Scandisk and defrag after a heavy UT editing session.

7. Split yer hard drive up into multiple partitions. Us one for your OS and its updates only, and the other(s) for everything else. This will keep yer OS nice and clean, and in tip top running condition. There is a reason it takes along time to Defrag a single drive, it blends the data. Having very large amounts of data on your OS drive will slow it down to a crawl.

Hope this helps someone
Unread 18th August, 2002, 01:18 AM
Dominating

Tnx dude, but don't we have (haven't readed all yet) something similar already in the Tips and Tuts section?

But nice 1nd33d
Unread 18th August, 2002, 02:17 AM
Dominating

Lol, I didnt see these anywhere..
Unread 18th August, 2002, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

actually removing ut mas and textures that you do not use will not speed up your server at all as maps are laoded only when you switch to that map. This could potentially crash your server if your emove textures/sounds that a map needs
Unread 18th August, 2002, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I'll agree for server Bry definitely but if you are running the client its a good tip, more maps etc = longer startup time, but for client only.

Nice Tips anyway TheGame, much appreciated :thup:
Unread 18th August, 2002, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

yea for client thats right but i thought he was talking about server :p
Unread 18th August, 2002, 08:04 PM
Dominating

Actually, it speeds up the server due to search time to a point.

Say if you are running DM maps, then it doesnt have to go through the AS and CTF maps to fing the DM's. Due to the alpha-numeric listing. For example DM-Zeto ould take longer to find than say CTF-Face. This is only miliseconds of difference, but depending on the amount of files, it can add up. Look at the windows system folder for example. When you first install it, there are around 160 files in it. After a year, there are over 800, and you have lost performance..

It also helps for the same reason as having a large drive with alot of info on it. When you defrag, the whole program isnt moved, just bits and peices of it. So pretty soon, its all jumbled up on the drive. While the drive is less fragmented, the broken up bits of program can cause a speed loss over time too.

Deleting the wrong textures is a bad thing, but thanks to texture viewer software, its pretty easy to do.
Unread 19th August, 2002, 07:59 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME

Deleting the wrong textures is a bad thing, but thanks to texture viewer software, its pretty easy to do.
Texture viewer software?? Damn U get around... never heard of that eather!!! Where can I get that?? really nice for when U are making maps..and looking for a texture U want.

Pretty plz with sugar on top...where can I get that?

:gulp: cheers
Unread 19th August, 2002, 01:17 PM
Dominating

http://utx-viewer.sourceforge.net/information.php

For utx Viewer..
Unread 19th August, 2002, 03:10 PM
Rampage

Grrreat!! gonna give it a go when I get home

Thx TheGAME

:gulp: Have one on me