You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Linux Specific

Unread 4th March, 2014, 12:16 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default Is linux server best solution to small lanparty?

Hello,

we are going to take lan party at upcoming weekend. As we looking what we should play, one of game we found is UT2004. Can you please tell me, if is good choice to make it on linux server? Because every time, when someone on lan party used to make dedicated server on his laptop and then play on same laptop, lag's are on the way. :X We are group of 8-12 player's (depend on alcohol in blood ). I have old pc, running at P4 3.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 7.2k rpm HDD and 100Mbps network card. Is it possible to make server on this hardware for 12 players LAN? I have not installed server yet, but i will install it in two days to Ubuntu or Debian. I already tried to start UT2004 server in my VMWare (debian) by following this article http://www.eeblog.org/index.php/inst...linux-machine/ ... After some errors, i finally connected with my client, but few second's later, i was kicked because some "licence problem".

So, please. How is the fast way to make linux server. Of course, all of us runing on cracked version.
Unread 4th March, 2014, 04:04 PM
Forum Newcomer

So, already tried to run it BUT.

My config for net is set to true only at LAN mode, other is to false (master server, stats..). When server starting, server is showed on client server browse in LAN tab, but when server has done starting, server in browser is invisible. But I'm able to connect via IP.
Unread 6th March, 2014, 08:15 AM
Holy Shit!!

www.unrealadmin.org/server_cdkey

Www.lmgtfy.com?q=ut2k4+server+install+dragon
Unread 7th March, 2014, 02:29 PM
out of order

If you have a Windows machine, just run the Windows dedicated server that is included in every UT2004 client. Feature-wise it doesn't really make a difference and you don't need a VM. IMHO it'd actually be even worse of you host a VM on one of the clients just to run the Linux version of the dedicated server. If you have a dedicated machine for running servers, use that for either the Windows or Linux version, otherwise stick with the version matching the OS that already runs natively on the machine.
A Windows dedicated server running on the same machine as a client shouldn't be much of a problem, if the machine is reasonably powerful (and a VM won't help here at all) and is connected via LAN cable. Don't even consider hosting a server over a WiFi connection.