You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > General > Tips & Tutorials Followups

Unread 2nd July, 2012, 06:22 PM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileyrei View Post
Woohoo!!

You were right Sp0ngebob, initial state was set to none *smacks forehead*

Thank you!!
no need to smash your forehead ... you'll find many of these little tweaks along the way :-) ... so get a helmet or stop!!
www.unrealtournament.info - my little dot on the internet. Serving UT from a neutral fans point of view. Sharing files, creating new mods, showrooms for developers and offering a free public redirect service with online upload feature = zero wait time for files to get online.
Unread 3rd July, 2012, 01:17 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
no need to smash your forehead ... you'll find many of these little tweaks along the way :-) ... so get a helmet or stop!!
Ha-ha, I'm sure I will indeed!

I'm just trying out creating the various things you can create before I embark on my first map.

I'm trying to think of what maps flow well and why they work.

No point creating a massive room and a few weapons with no real structure or flow - boring!

At least I'm more confortable with the editor now but have SO MUCH more to learn.
Unread 17th July, 2012, 06:59 PM
Godlike

Ok..............

So my first uber newbie map is coming along nicely (I think).
Nothing special, just a first map which has taught me a few basics.

Randon questions:

I spent a lot of time manually aligning brushes (red lines) to walls and the floor. Is there a way to auto align to floor/wall/ceiling?

I tried adding a screen shot to the level properties but cant see how to do it? I take a screenshot, resize it to 256 x 256 and add it to Mylevel in the texturee browser - however it doesnt show up. Any step by step ideas pls?

How do I create and import my own textures? For example, if I want a picture of my butt to appear on a wall, how to I do add it from my jpeg/bmp?

Thanks!

Last edited by Pileyrei : 17th July, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Unread 18th July, 2012, 06:26 PM
Godlike

Ok - worked out how to add a custom texture and/or picture as a texture.
Unread 19th July, 2012, 09:34 AM
Dominating

Quote:
if I want a picture of my butt to appear on a wall, how to I do add it from my jpeg/bmp?
Sorry I didn't step up and helped, but the idea was too scary ... I just couldn't risk the chance of stumping into your butt in a game ... the shock would be too massive!! .....

A little tip for you when importing textures, always use bmp or pcx format, and always be sure the are sized matching the bit system. sizes must be 1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128............... bla bla bla in order to be imported correctly, you can combine the x and y sizes e.g. a texture of 16x128 pixels will import just fine. Be sure to check the mipmap setting when importing larger textures ... people tend to discuss what the limit is, but I use to check it always when using textures sized 256x256 or above. (this to avoid some old gfx cards/drivers to crash ingame)
www.unrealtournament.info - my little dot on the internet. Serving UT from a neutral fans point of view. Sharing files, creating new mods, showrooms for developers and offering a free public redirect service with online upload feature = zero wait time for files to get online.

Last edited by YouKnowWho : 19th July, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Unread 19th July, 2012, 10:39 AM
Godlike

Thanks very much!

Next noob questions - the intersect and deintersect buttons.
I haven't used them and dont really understand when you would use them?
Unread 12th August, 2012, 07:04 PM
Godlike

Im trying to change a Crossbow weapon to stay(weapon stay setting) rather than respawn after 30 seconds again which is the default.

I change it and hit save.

CRASH!
Assertion failed blah blah blah......I can play after making the change but hit that save button.......crash!

Any one seen this?

edit: Every time I try and change the Chaos Poison Crossbow to weapon stay, UED crashes when I hit save:

Last edited by Pileyrei : 13th August, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Unread 13th August, 2012, 11:42 AM
Dominating

another way could be to just set RespawnTime=0.001?? that should do the same. You'll find that in the actors properties. You need a rebuild to assign the values.
Unread 13th August, 2012, 12:06 PM
Godlike

Quote:
another way could be to just set RespawnTime=0.001?? that should do the same. You'll find that in the actors properties. You need a rebuild to assign the values.
You beauty!

I had tried the time of 1.0000 but that crashed too. Your suggestion of 0.00001 worked a treat - thank you

Weird that you have to do that but hey ho.
The editor seems very.........nervous at times. You have to build, play the level then save for some things to work as I've come to learn. Otherwise it throws a wobbly and crashes.

edit: random question - where the heck do you increase the ammo amount of a weapon? Ive look in the actor properties and cannot find it for the life of me. I suck

Last edited by Pileyrei : 13th August, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Unread 14th August, 2012, 01:09 PM
Dominating

Quote:
edit: random question - where the heck do you increase the ammo amount of a weapon? Ive look in the actor properties and cannot find it for the life of me. I suck
well, I'm not sure I understand the question fully, but there are things to change regarding ammo in either the weapons class or the weapons ammo class:

Weapon (SniperRifle as example):

PickupAmmoCount=8 (this defines how much ammo the weapon has when a player picks it up, or gets it assigned as default weapon)

BulletBox (sniper ammo class):

AmmoAmount=10 (this value defines how much ammo you gain from picking up the ammo)
MaxAmmo=50 (This value defines the total amount of ammo the weapon can hold)

All variables are found in the actors properties. Now, setting it in the map will work fine unless it is later changed by a mutator. All you put into the maps are considdered as base settings, once you load mutators they can very well change the properties of the pickups.

Last edited by YouKnowWho : 14th August, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Unread 14th August, 2012, 08:04 PM
Godlike

Quote:
well, I'm not sure I understand the question fully, but there are things to change regarding ammo in either the weapons class or the weapons ammo class:

Weapon (SniperRifle as example):

PickupAmmoCount=8 (this defines how much ammo the weapon has when a player picks it up, or gets it assigned as default weapon)

BulletBox (sniper ammo class):

AmmoAmount=10 (this value defines how much ammo you gain from picking up the ammo)
MaxAmmo=50 (This value defines the total amount of ammo the weapon can hold)

All variables are found in the actors properties. Now, setting it in the map will work fine unless it is later changed by a mutator. All you put into the maps are considdered as base settings, once you load mutators they can very well change the properties of the pickups.
I'll check those settings out and confirm - thanks
Unread 14th August, 2012, 08:09 PM
Godlike

Next Noob question.

I've added some ChaosUT weapons (dont laugh) to a map.

I thought if you add weapons from a mod to a map its all included in the map?
When testing the map online ACE timed out/errored saying it cant find the file ChasoUT.u. So I guess this map needs to be "released" with the ChaosUT.u file if I were to put it up for download? Or is it because ChasoUT.u is not on the server? I'm thinking this is why!

I've sent the file to be added to the server in the mean time.
Unread 14th August, 2012, 09:26 PM
Dominating

yes, all packages you use in the map needs to be on the server running it. You can use map manager or simular tool to zip the map with all dependencies.

However, it shouldn't be ACE that times out i think? the server should resolve to another map or crash from missing package? ... not sure .. been a long time since I've managed a server
Unread 15th August, 2012, 06:52 AM
Godlike

Quote:
yes, all packages you use in the map needs to be on the server running it. You can use map manager or simular tool to zip the map with all dependencies.
Roger that pink leader!

I have uploaded the ChaosUT.u file to the server and will test again - the server never had it installed in the first place so that explains it.
Unread 18th October, 2012, 02:15 PM
Godlike

Time for another newbie question please.

Is it possible to add a weapon to a map and include the dependency in the map?

For example, if I wanted to add the Chaos UT Poison crossbow to Deck 16, could I add it without the need of including the chaosUT.u file/s? i.e. include it in the map download - you just needed to download the "new" map only.

In that example, it seems I have to add a million extra chaos ut files to the download just to add one of the chaos weapons?!

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks
Piley
Unread 18th October, 2012, 07:36 PM
out of order

You'll have a hard time trying that. Let me put it this way: You won't be successful without doing a recompile. And an unauthorized recompile is something the Chaos team doesn't seem to like anyone to do.
Unread 19th October, 2012, 12:29 PM
Godlike

Thanks for the reply Wormbo