You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 23rd August, 2002, 06:37 PM
Killing Spree

Hi There.
Ive been running a 1v1 server for sometime on a 128k isdn line...ive now got ADSL with 384k uplink speed and have been running a 6 player JB3 server with netspeed set at 5000 and the tickrate unchanged from default.....obviously being team based and some maps being large id like to accomodate as many players as possible.....suggestions for server settings?......i dont want to drop netspeed to suckky gameplay levels to squeeze the max players in.

Great site by the way
Unread 23rd August, 2002, 10:12 PM
Killing Spree

I don't think you should modify the settings you have, just experiment to see how many players you can fit. Monitor your bandwidth usage.

If I were you, I would connect to the server through a LAN, eliminating your connection from using the internet bandwidth. I assume your server has cpu overhead to spare.
Unread 24th August, 2002, 04:42 AM
Killing Spree

Okay thanks for the help there
My own connection is via lan to the server machine so thats at least eliminated some bandwidth......whats the best way to monitor the bandwidth im using? The server machine is a P3 850/384Meg of ram running winME......not the best server OS i know but the maachine is pressed into other uses by the misus sometimes
Unread 24th August, 2002, 06:40 AM
Killing Spree

http://cws.internet.com/redir/http:/...d/dumeter3.exe

30 days free, then $20
Unread 24th August, 2002, 12:40 PM
Dominating

Now i just installed it to, but since then i get frequent annoying pop-ups, sometimes 2-3 @ the same time. :angry:

Does this program gimme ads?
Unread 24th August, 2002, 05:54 PM
Killing Spree

i didnt see any extra popups when i installed it.......just sits quiet and does its job....not bad but i cant see myself parting with 20 bucks for it
Ah just waiting for a full player load to see whats going on now....
Unread 24th August, 2002, 06:51 PM
Forum Newcomer

There is a free program named CoolMon that shows stats and info from your computer.
You can configure it to show the up- and download.
Unread 24th August, 2002, 07:27 PM
Killing Spree

I think 30 days is adequate to find out your max player load and experiment with your server settings.

No, there are no popups associated with this program.

:guitar:
Unread 25th August, 2002, 06:20 PM
Killing Spree

looks like i can squeeze in a couple more players
is there a general rule of how much of a percentage of your allowable bandwidth the game should be allowed to use?.....ie headroom considerations.
Is it fair to say that mods will tend to use more bandwidth than a normal game due to the additional replication going on?....i know mods like excessive use lots of bandwidth but thats cos of the amount of carnage going on right?
Why arent there more JB servers...the nearest one to me thats regularly populated is in the states and my ping is 350+ most of the time....and its normally set for instagib....eheh needless to say im a regular inmate :look:
Unread 25th August, 2002, 11:19 PM
Dominating

hmz... then it must be something else what gives me all suddenly those fukin pop-ups :bsod:. Iv'e been running adware and deleted all detected spyware, but it seems that it didn't really help....maybe there's some spyware which adware cannot detect.
It really makes me mad when im playing UT and got kicked out UT the desktop and watch pop-ups. So far it happend once now. :angry2:
btw: is there a option in XP so that you don't switch to new opened windows?

anyway, back to topic, recklessrat, i think iv'e seen you playing (and vice versa) on RR-SA: JAILBREAK3 correct?
And yes, there are not enough servers for it, it's a really great gametype, iv'e been playing it now for 2 days and i like it very much.
Only, those servers aint giving me good pings, i have adsl and it play's like a 56k sometimes.
That sux with InstaGib. :angry:

Also, how can i see other players pings, i asked it a few times in game, but no response. I can only see it from a program outside UT (UTSQT or UT watcher)
Unread 25th August, 2002, 11:42 PM
Killing Spree

In the jailbreak options you tick the box that enables the numeric pings on the scoreboard
Yup im the same RecKlessR@t that youve seen playing....or rather getting my ass handed to me on a plate.......ehehe
thats a major reason to go with my own server.....but finding other players is always a problem...the local fav game here is CS so the few that do play UT go for either DM or CTF...theres a taiwanese server running JB too ....but almost always empty......
I'll just live with the ping into the US i guess after all 400 ping isnt THAT bad....ahahahh :look:
Unread 25th August, 2002, 11:47 PM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecKlessRat
In the jailbreak options you tick the box that enables the numeric pings on the scoreboard
Yup im the same RecKlessR@t that youve seen playing....or rather getting my ass handed to me on a plate.......ehehe
hahah same here
But only 2day i tell ya!! :p

ps. tnx, i think i didn't saw that option *slap* :look:
Unread 26th August, 2002, 03:55 AM
Killing Spree

As far as headroom goes, the bandwidth use will vary as players come and go. There is no rule of thumb, but I would keep the maximum bandwidth use under 90% of that measured by uploading files. Don't forget, unless you have a very consistent connection, your bandwidth will vary some from day to day so be conservative.
Unread 26th August, 2002, 10:33 PM
Dominating

Can some1 help me?

I tried last nite JB on my own server with KickIdle Players2 mutie, but it doesn't work together. It crashes my server at loading the game when i start up. When i delete the line in the serverpackages list it works as normal, but without that kick mutie.
Everything is installed correct.

Now, iv'e seen some server -RR-SA:- using such mutie with no prob's.
Im wondering, what kick mutie it is using.
Does any1 know that? and what must i do/do wrong?