You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > Server Admins Open Forum

Unread 3rd May, 2002, 12:01 AM
DarkByte

HI Everyone,

For those who's ban list is full, here is BanHappy.
Unread 3rd May, 2002, 01:09 AM
Ouch

For those that are truly annoying, I add a host route for their IP address to a black hole address.

The effect of this is that they can't see the server AT ALL -- it will appear to them as if the server has ceased to exist, because no IP traffic from the server will return to them! If they've added it to their favorites, it will always timeout trying to get the status.

Under FreeBSD, do:

route add <banned-ip> 1.1.1.1

Under Linux, do (this can't be undone without rebooting):

route add <banned-ip> reject

Under Win2K, you need to first set up a blackhole address on your local network. If your server's IP is 200.201.202.203, then do:

arp -a 200.201.202.0 00-00-00-00-00-00

After that, do this to ban IPs:

route add <banned-ip> 200.201.202.0

One can easily set up a script or .bat file to instate these blackholes each time you reboot. You'll have no limit at all.

But, best of all, as far as the banned-ip is concerned, your server simple no longer is up -- pings will timeout, et al.
Unread 3rd May, 2002, 02:29 AM
Prezident

You got this working DarkByte?

I think I tried the original version quite a while back, and it didn't seem to work at all.

I will try it out on my clan server as it is a rental and has limited options.

I just use Winroute on my main server.

Thanks.
Unread 3rd May, 2002, 03:09 AM
LoadedDice

Looks like DB fixed it (or at least updated it).

Maybe it will finally work.
Unread 4th May, 2002, 07:17 AM
HogMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ouch
For those that are truly annoying, I add a host route for their IP address to a black hole address.

The effect of this is that they can't see the server AT ALL -- it will appear to them as if the server has ceased to exist, because no IP traffic from the server will return to them! &nbsp;If they've added it to their favorites, it will always timeout trying to get the status.

Under FreeBSD, do:

route add <banned-ip> 1.1.1.1

Under Linux, do (this can't be undone without rebooting):

route add <banned-ip> reject

Under Win2K, you need to first set up a blackhole address on your local network. &nbsp;If your server's IP is 200.201.202.203, then do:

arp -a 200.201.202.0 00-00-00-00-00-00

After that, do this to ban IPs:

route add <banned-ip> 200.201.202.0

One can easily set up a script or .bat file to instate these blackholes each time you reboot. &nbsp;You'll have no limit at all.

But, best of all, as far as the banned-ip is concerned, your server simple no longer is up -- pings will timeout, et al.
I do like this idea I have a few people I would like to do this to.

Thanks for the idea.
Unread 4th May, 2002, 08:11 PM
Elvis

This is the same effect they see when you add their IP or IP range to the Restricted Zone list in a software firewall like ZoneAlarm or Norton.
Unread 12th May, 2002, 06:32 PM
Prezident

DarkByte, have you had a chance to test BanHappy at all?

I have it running on my clan server, and the ban list is now at 48, and no new section has been built for BanHappy yet. I am wondering if it is working the way it's intended. I know it's been added as a ServerActor correctly.

Have any suggestions?
Unread 16th May, 2002, 04:16 PM
StarKilLer{MOK}

Also to add to the list, use Keep-It-Clean By Boden and ban them by name, esp. it they are Stat Ho's
Unread 18th May, 2002, 10:23 PM
Prezident

Thanks for the information StarKilLer. I have it running on my server now, and it seems to be working. I made a few modifications, as the only part I wanted to run was Keep It Clean.

I added Boden.KeepItClean to the command line to start is as a mutator so it will run everytime the server crashes or restarts, and I removed all sections from the .int file and .ini file that didn't have anything to do with KeepItClean. Also, after reading the documentation that came with it (was not written very well) you will have to add a couple lines in the .ini file for it to work the way they are talking about. I'm not quite sure why the author didn't have those lines in there already.

Just thought I would point those things out for anyone wanting to do the same for their server. If you have any questions, please let me know, I will be happy to give you an example of what I did.

As for BanHappy, it doesn't seem to be working at all. The ban list on my clan server is now FULL, and it has not yet created a new section for BanHappy. Has ANYBODY been able to get this working yet? Please let me know what you had to do to make it work.

Thanks.
Unread 21st June, 2002, 05:52 AM
DarkByte

I'm praying that this version will work better than the last one...
Unread 21st June, 2002, 06:04 AM
Prezident

Thanks DarkByte, I will try it out...
Unread 21st June, 2002, 06:19 AM
DarkByte

Keep me posted, i will refresh the page every 15-20 mins
Unread 21st June, 2002, 06:32 AM
Prezident

So far it does not appear to be working, but I will give it a little more time, and let you know tomorrow.

We put 48 bans in the banlist, and forced 2 map cycles, but no new section has been created yet.

I'll just let the server run as normal for the night, and see if there is anything new tomorrow.

Thanks again DarkByte, will keep you posted.
Unread 21st June, 2002, 07:01 AM
DarkByte

Maybe if i mentioned that the Ban List cleanup happens when someone joins the server, it would help .. heheh
Unread 11th August, 2002, 08:41 PM
DarkByte

Well, i must have been on drugs or something,

Looks like i was forgetting important code in BanHappy. Lets hope i can make it right this time.
Unread 13th August, 2002, 05:50 AM
Spacedebris

I have a question. I tried the banhappy when you first started this thread but I ran into a problem. I run a Zark server and when I add Banhappy the Zark would no longer run. Now I'm going to try this new one and see what happens but any idea why a mod would be affected by Banhappy?

Ok just finished checking it. Same problem, will not allow the zark mod to work. The gun is there and fires, but it doesnt show up as the default weapon as it should, when you do get it, it shows up invisable and the zoom doesnt work. Making the mod useless. I would really like to use BanHappy but I cant use it if I cant get it to work with the zark. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.
Unread 13th August, 2002, 07:25 AM
DarkByte

Found the reason why Zark didnt work with it .. doesnt pay to try to code too fast i guess.
Unread 13th August, 2002, 09:29 PM
Elvis

DB - Would you please post this file on a public ftp server?
Unread 14th August, 2002, 02:44 AM
DarkByte

at your request Elvis:

http://pages.infinit.net/darkbyte/filez/BanHappy.zip
Unread 14th August, 2002, 04:04 AM
Elvis