You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > Server Admins Open Forum

Unread 30th July, 2002, 08:04 PM
Elvis

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I used the term Ban List in the context of UT and Linux, just as I used "ban list" within the context of UT and ZoneAlarm. It is the most direct use for this game, but of course it is really a firewall. That's great news about the low cpu usage. I wish I could get Linux experience without devoting all my spare time, which is scarce.

Thanks for the clarification
Unread 1st August, 2002, 01:49 PM
buzzin

hmm i didint have much sucess with linux and ut thats why i stuck with win nt and also heard that win nt was the best os for UT i gather it will be win2k for ut2003 through
Unread 1st August, 2002, 03:50 PM
TNSe

You server admin doods might have to dig through this to figure out if you really needed to read it. Good luck!

http://www.clanvikings.org/tnse/utstuff.html

It's a good read some people claim. Dont trust others, make your own verdict.
Unread 1st August, 2002, 05:23 PM
Elvis

I can tell who is not reading my long post....
Unread 2nd August, 2002, 03:59 AM
TNSe

It was just some additional pimpage since I have updated one part, and some weirdo guy fixed the look of it so it looks commercialized.
Unread 2nd August, 2002, 07:10 AM
Elvis

Pimp away

I'll be the first to admit that info gets lost in that post...

I've been tempted to add a discussion about map selection. Probably won't. I think that post is out of hand now.
Unread 16th August, 2002, 11:29 AM
puntloos

Interesting tips, thanks for them. Most I've figured out myself (and then I found this post. Hrmpf) but I do have one extra question. People say there are specific OS-side tweaks for linux.

Anyone know what they are?
Unread 18th August, 2002, 05:22 PM
TNSe

Yes there is a Linux OS Side tweak.

Quote:
system is using linux 2.4.1
now the /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/param.h looks like this:

#ifndef _ASMi386_PARAM_H
#define _ASMi386_PARAM_H

#ifndef HZ
#define HZ 1000 /* was 100 */
#endif

#define EXEC_PAGESIZE 4096

#ifndef NGROUPS
#define NGROUPS 32
#endif

#ifndef NOGROUP
#define NOGROUP (-1)
#endif

#define MAXHOSTNAMELEN 64 /* max length of hostname */

#ifdef __KERNEL__
# define CLOCKS_PER_SEC 1000 /* frequency at which times() counts _was 100_ */
#endif

then it's just make clean;make dep; make bzImage; make modules usw...

I have no idea if it crashes harddrives or reformat religions etc..

/Tok
I have tested this on a clan server with Linux, and it does give a more stable tickrate. No guarantees tho, and it could mess up other things than UT.
Unread 4th September, 2002, 03:49 AM
Elvis

Updated second long post to include a download site for my recommended (and others) maps.
Unread 9th September, 2002, 01:57 AM
buzzin

hmm i had the problem of cpu being to low and to get it upto a certain percentage constant i set all my ut servers to another affinity (this server is duel cpu btw)from my standard server and incresed cpu made the pings flatten out alot better just a tip if you got a duel processor server and hacivng trouble with unstable pings.thanx
Unread 9th February, 2003, 04:52 AM
iCe

hi guys i run a part time Instagib server at present will go full time once i get above info sorted ...

Would like to get idea's on running UT behind a Router or setting it up to be outside as in DMZ......

Any help in this Area will be gladly taken on board...

thanks in advance Guys!
iCe
Unread 9th February, 2003, 06:55 AM
Rambo

www.unrealadmin.org <-- Check FAQ!
Unread 14th February, 2003, 03:56 AM
Elvis

If you run a server behind a router, keep an eye out for packet loss. That will be the first sign you are sending and receiving more packets than your router can handle.
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 02:41 PM
KillerJB

Here's a good tip for those using a router for any internet access whether running a server or not. You can make your connection much smoother following this advice.

Did you know that a router adds 8 bits to every packet that comes in or out of your router?? This information identifies which machine on your internal network that the particular packet needs to reach.

Since the maximum packet size your router will send is 1500 and also most nic cards mtu (maximum transmission unit) size is defaulted to 1500, guess what ?

Everytime a packet comes from or to your router, the router has to split the packet into 2 because it received 1500 and needs to add the 8 bits before sending it on, therefore your router now has to send 2 packets instead of one.

If you are running a server ( or even if your not) you are forcing the router to work twice as hard when it doesnt have too. You can get much more bandwith and smoother player performance by doing the following.

If you change the mtu size on all of the nic cards on all of your internal machines to 1492, you will now be sending on 1492 to the router in each packet. That means that the router will take that packet , add its 8 for a total of 1500 and send it on its way. You have now cut the number of packets ( and work) that the router needs to perform.

When I did this about 2 years ago, I was able to add a couple of players to my server and also the players said it was a lot less laggy.

There are many free programs out there that will allow you to reset the mtu size (for those who don't know how to find it in the reg). Do a search and I am sure you will find several. also visit places like dslreports.com and read their tweaks sections from top to bottom. there are many things you can do to your system to get better performance for your server. By the way, running your server on something like win98 will require a daily reboot. I still run on nt4 workstation and my server can run weeks without needing a reboot. NT4 has a much better designed network section.

Well thats my tip for you newbie admins (and maybe some of you oldies, ). There are new things to learn for all of us everyday. Enjoy.
Unread 7th March, 2003, 12:11 PM
iCe

Hiya Guys....

Thanks for all the Tips...and Advice....

Regards.....iCe
Unread 7th March, 2003, 10:54 PM
Elvis

I may be wrong, but I thought the packet size optimization was only for Win98. I though NT4 and W2K had optimized this internally.
Unread 8th March, 2003, 12:10 AM
KillerJB

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
I may be wrong, but I thought the packet size optimization was only for Win98. I though NT4 and W2K had optimized this internally.
I am talking about the work your router is being forced to do , not the internal nt OS.

I just built a new UT server with NT4 WORKSTATION and when I checked the mtu default was set to 1500 forcing my router to split the packets into 2 and making it work extra hard. By forcing the mtu to 1492, the router just needs to add the 8 and pass it on. One packet instead of 2. Otherwise the router is forced to do double duty with , at least outgoing packets. I did this on all my nic cards on all systems.

At least this is what I understood from reading about routers on several different sites about 2 years ago. Made some sense to me and when I did it, the players commented about much better performance and I was able to add some players.

I don't know what nt4 server OR WIN2K do. There may be a big difference.
Unread 9th March, 2003, 12:20 AM
Elvis

What value do you put in the registry? I found the mtu value to be hex
Unread 9th March, 2003, 03:46 AM
KillerJB

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
What value do you put in the registry? I found the mtu value to be hex
using regedit click on the entry and another window opens so you can edit the field. in that new window you click on the decimal button and the hex number changes to decimal. Change it to 1492, and save it, thats it.
Unread 10th March, 2003, 10:51 PM
Elvis

Thanks - Shows how often I edit the registry...