You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - General Chat

Unread 5th January, 2009, 05:29 AM
Forum Newcomer

Question In-Game Web Browsing?

After hours of searching and trying different mutators, I've decided to ask for help.

Does anyone know of a way to get HTTP through UT2k4?

Ultimately, what I'd like to do is be able to browse a web site in-game. The closest I seem to have come is ServerExt, which allows you to read text from RSS files. (I still can't get this to read from a web site.) But this would not allow you to click links, or input text.

So does anyone know of a way - or if it's even possible - to interact with HTTP in-game, preferrably like a browser? Similar to what Doom3, GTA4 had

Thanks very much for your help.
Unread 5th January, 2009, 10:22 AM
out of order

As far as I know something like this doesn't exist for UT2004. HTTP isn't the problem, it's actually quite simple, protocol-wise. You can use El Muerte's LibHTTP to handle that for you.

The real problems start when dealing with the data transported over HTTP: the HTML code, stylesheets, JavaScript and external images. The game does not have built-in decoders for HTML, XML, CSS, JS or any image formats like GIF, JPG or PNG. You'd have to implement all that yourself in slow and limited UnrealScript.
Of course this includes all the work you'd need to put into a layout engine to actually make the parsed HTML look like a web page on the screen.

Last edited by Wormbo : 5th January, 2009 at 10:25 AM.