You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Unread 25th June, 2006, 05:20 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default Cheatertrap demoserver

I can't find whether this has been suggested before, and please ignore my message if it is too obvious or irrelevant. I chose this forum-channel because of it's close relation with ban-propagation.

I'm not a admin but a dedicated player and I'm very glad so many are taking effort to prevent cheating.

I recently visited some demo-servers running insta, and found that almost all of them had visible aimbotters and maybe other cheaters around. It seems that, since these are demoservers, it is not possible to implement the usual protections. I'm not sure if this is true but these servers certainly are incubators for new bot-users.

Would it not be possible to set up one or more covert demoservers as traps, and collect names/numbers from the botters so admins can, if they want, add these to their banlists. Surely any admin that would know a player is willingly destroying gameplay, even if it's only on a another (demo)sever, would be glad to prevent him from plaring on his server, regardless.
Anyway, the botter lost his rights already, since the EULA specifically forbids cheating. And I understand a UTAN wide key ban is maybe not appropriate without proper evidencing process, but an an admin is allowed to ban at his own discretion, even without waterproofed evidence, is he not?

Similar actions are taken to target email-spammers, where a collection of email-adresses are baited and anyone mailing to it is tagged a spammer, and automatically added to spamcop and other lists.

Would this be feasible or is it too complicated/costly. Thanks for your attention,

Ursa..

PS. Why would anyone prefer running a demoserver instead of a proper one?

Last edited by MajorUrsa : 25th June, 2006 at 05:22 PM.
Unread 25th June, 2006, 07:30 PM
Holy Shit!!

It won't work... Players who cheat using the demo usually have a dynamic IP. All players who use the demo client have the same CD key. No way to keep them out.
Unread 29th June, 2006, 01:23 AM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assraker
All players who use the demo client have the same CD key. No way to keep them out.
Ah, I didn't realize that. I was under the impression that only ppl using the demo client all have the same 'key' and that it would be possible to read the key of full-version installs that are cheating on a demo-server. If you're right it would be impossible to implement. Too bad. Thanks for clearing up,

Ursa..
Unread 29th June, 2006, 05:40 AM
Holy Shit!!

If a cheater has a retail copy of the game, he will have a unique GUID and you can ban him by CD key. Most cheaters on the demo servers are using the demo client as well though (not retail), so you can only ban those players by IP rather than CD key.

Maybe that is clearer
Unread 29th June, 2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

They do have a demo server like this not exactly a cheater trap but the jolt servesr are running server side uscript on demo which i am sure they are not allowed to do. It kicks players for things like GUID and EngineVersion not matching And it kicks for using the name Player. Not sure what else thats all i know of.
Unread 29th June, 2006, 09:40 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob!!!!!!!
...but the jolt servesr are running server side uscript on demo which i am sure they are not allowed to do...
How that ?? There are many servers that are modified WITHOUT using UScript. What makes you think jolt uses UScript?? (For example: You can autokick the name Player with whatever language runs on the server)

And I believe EPIC thinks it not that bad, cause we have gotten e-mails from users of the warez version that told us they went out to buy the full version after being caught on the jolt demoservers.

Last edited by fuegerstef : 29th June, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
Unread 30th June, 2006, 02:13 AM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assraker
If a cheater has a retail copy of the game, he will have a unique GUID and you can ban him by CD key. Most cheaters on the demo servers are using the demo client as well though (not retail), so you can only ban those players by IP rather than CD key.
Maybe that is clearer
We are of course only interested in players using a retail version, because those are the players we might also meet on full servers. I would want to trap those users that are using the demo-servers as a testing ground for their cheats.
Not only do they disrupt the game for other people on the demoserver, but they also create an atmosphere in which the use of cheats is somehow cool and 'normal'.
I think it would mean a great decrease of the number of new cheaters if we could somehow stop them in this phase.

Ursa..