You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > General Anti-Cheat Discussion

Unread 31st August, 2003, 12:10 AM
{HNC}MeNacE

I have read all the posts and have tried everything under the sun to get linux to connect to a UTpure6* server. But no luck. I did try to manually install UTpure. Worked on my Winblows box. But not on my RedHat 9 box.

Is there yet a fix?

GOTY version 436 and 451.

help??
Unread 12th September, 2003, 12:52 AM
{HNC}MeNacE

Still waiting for a clue!
Unread 12th September, 2003, 11:45 PM
870Fragmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by {HNC}MeNacE
Still waiting for a clue!
I havent had any trouble with pure and linux. I did have trouble with a version of UTPureRC6C. just clear your cache directory. remember that your user settings are in $home/.loki/ut/. Then log back into the server to redownload the UTPure
Unread 8th October, 2003, 06:02 PM
g-mrdurden

Quote:
Originally posted by {HNC}MeNacE
I have read all the posts and have tried everything under the sun to get linux to connect to a UTpure6* server. But no luck. I did try to manually install UTpure. Worked on my Winblows box. But not on my RedHat 9 box.

Is there yet a fix?

GOTY version 436 and 451.

help??
Not only have I heard of severe CPU rapage on linux clients, you also get these numerous incompatibilities. Be careful when you use the term winblows around here. I admit Linux servers are best for UT, but as far as clients go take that stupid penguin elsewhere.
Unread 8th October, 2003, 10:09 PM
m33p

Quote:
Originally posted by g-mrdurden
Not only have I heard of severe CPU rapage on linux clients, you also get these numerous incompatibilities. Be careful when you use the term winblows around here. I admit Linux servers are best for UT, but as far as clients go take that stupid penguin elsewhere.
Not true... linux sucks for running as a client and a server for *UT*
It has tickrate problems... reason you see most hosting places using windows is before the game works best on what it was made for..... not sure about UT2003..... I know UT makes a sucky linux server tho.... works no better then a windows server and has big problems with the UTPG patchs.....
Unread 8th October, 2003, 11:01 PM
{HNC}MeNacE

Sorry, I never posted back. I got it up and running np once the user error was fixed (wrong #2 cd). As for running a Linux UT client, I have found it to be better and faster than windoze.

I also run a Linux server for UT with the UTPG 451 patches. I have only had to reboot it once in the last 56 days and it wasn't because of running UT, I had made some changes that required a reboot. So far I have had no problems, and neither has anyoune else that I have played with there. And it's been running for about a year.
Unread 8th October, 2003, 11:04 PM
870Fragmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by m33p
Not true... linux sucks for running as a client and a server for *UT*
It has tickrate problems... reason you see most hosting places using windows is before the game works best on what it was made for..... not sure about UT2003..... I know UT makes a sucky linux server tho.... works no better then a windows server and has big problems with the UTPG patchs.....
I run a linux server. never had any trouble with it. Except for NGStats. I personally wouldn't run a windows server even IF it was better. And as far as I know a lot of professional hosting companies run linux. The linux server accounts for at least 40-50% of the UT servers on the net.
Unread 8th October, 2003, 11:42 PM
m33p

Quote:
Originally posted by 870Fragmaster
I run a linux server. never had any trouble with it. Except for NGStats. I personally wouldn't run a windows server even IF it was better. And as far as I know a lot of professional hosting companies run linux. The linux server accounts for at least 40-50% of the UT servers on the net.
Well if u run the 451 patch on linux you will notice ALOT more CPU cycles.... and all i have heard is complains....maybe you don't but alot of other ppl do.....
Unread 8th October, 2003, 11:49 PM
870Fragmaster

Quote:
Well if u run the 451 patch on linux you will notice ALOT more CPU cycles.... and all i have heard is complains....maybe you don't but alot of other ppl do.....
top - 17:29:52 up 9 days, 2:32, 1 user, load average: 0.64, 0.64, 0.45
Tasks: 49 total, 2 running, 47 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 39.4% user, 3.9% system, 0.0% nice, 56.8% idle
Mem: 384808k total, 368356k used, 16452k free, 118680k buffers
Swap: 266104k total, 0k used, 266104k free, 100400k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ Command
14256 sae 15 0 49728 48m 3372 S 99.9 12.9 5988:56 ucc-bin

This what you are talking about? This is 8player load on a 1200 w/ 451. I dont think it was like this before, but it is not bothering me any I only run 10 players. Maybe a 32 man game might be a problem. I wonder if anyone has noticed any differances on a 2.6 kernel?
Unread 9th October, 2003, 12:00 AM
m33p

maybe.... i heard 2.6 was way better.... but utpg is suppost to fix the bugs.... i know in windows there isn't much of a problem.... they were running 3 servers on the same windows box and the cpu useage never broke 50% cpu useage
Unread 9th October, 2003, 12:35 AM
870Fragmaster

Quote:
maybe.... i heard 2.6 was way better.... but utpg is suppost to fix the bugs.... i know in windows there isn't much of a problem.... they were running 3 servers on the same windows box and the cpu useage never broke 50% cpu useage
UT aside, I like the remote admin in linux. I can ssh into the box and do anything I want even on a slower connection. Windows you would probably have to run VNC.
Unread 24th October, 2003, 05:46 PM
g-mrdurden

Quote:
Originally posted by 870Fragmaster
UT aside, I like the remote admin in linux. I can ssh into the box and do anything I want even on a slower connection. Windows you would probably have to run VNC.
I run a Gamedaemons UT server and I must say it's the only server where I've been able to get away with setting the tickrate to 50-60 and not raping the server/CPU

with Tickrate Independent Weapon of course