You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > General Anti-Cheat Discussion

Unread 8th August, 2002, 04:24 PM
shakaZOLO

Ok, I am so confused. So much talk about the UTPure Errors associated with Macs (and perhaps others, but doubtful), id#70945. Still, I have seen no real solution that works for me, so I am putting this back up to seek an answer. Also, I don't understand where and why this is happening so I am also seeking more detailed explainations in laymans terms.

1. UtPure somehow gets installed on my computer automatically from the servers I visit. It seems there are an infinite number of versions, v, x, z, etc. Anytime I delete them from my cache or zap the references in my ini files, they just come back when I try to connect.

2. With these UTpure versions I am booted from 99% of the servers I try. Without them the servers just once again force the download and the cycle never ends.

3. I have sought an all-powerful version of UTPure (I've heard 5.1 touted here) but have no idea how to manually install since it is a server mod. I've never seen a straight client-side installation.

So, if you know exactly how to fix my Mac and my UT so I can get back to kicking evey one's a** please post it in very simple terms. Please explain why this is happening and how we can get back to our lives. Telling me to simply delete some files and post some cache files DOES NOT WORK. There are far too many versions of UTPure that screw my system.

As for the people who created UTPure, how inconsiderate could you possibly be? Why would a mod be adopted that eliminates any legitimate users. Boneheads. Within a few days you managed to turn my favorite recreational experience into a dangling carrot.
Unread 8th August, 2002, 05:36 PM
{FKK}Z

First of all, these guys are NOT boneheads. They work very hard with no compensation to provide players with a cheat free environment. What have you designed or programmed that is better? You are probably the most ungrateful person I've seen post here. This is not the way to get assistance. I'll answer one of your questions anyway.

The answer to your first question in as simple terms is this. In order for you to use or see anything a server has you have to have a version of it on your computer. That is where the cache files come in. They are compressed versions of the files you need. This speeds the download process. You will always get them when you log on to a server.

The rest of your questions I'll leave to someone else with better Mac knowledge. If you haven't offended everyone here to badly with your attitude that is.
Unread 8th August, 2002, 08:15 PM
Mr_Nobody{PoD}

Agreed ... asking someone for help, and insulting them in the same breath, strikes me as the height of arrogance. That being said ...

Have you tried all of the remedies outlined in this thread? --> http://www.midnightinteractive.com/forums/...s=&threadid=887

It strikes me that fine-tuning Pure for the Mac is a relatively delicate operation, but many of the people who frequent this forum have got it to work. Assuming that you've caught up on all of the discussion offered to date, one of our local Mac experts will surely be able to help you.
Unread 8th August, 2002, 10:11 PM
DrO

Man, I know this is frustrating. But believe me, I don't want to play against cheaters. This is important to admins as well.

From the top:

You running UT 436? Good, cause the latest always helps. If haven't given it a try, reinstall everything. It's as basic as two installations. The original and the 436 umod upgrade. Trust me, I've done all this. Now you have a clean slate.

Install your favorite mods and bonus packs (i.e. Excessive). Then connect to your favorite online server. Whether it be an Open Connection (255.255.255.255), Search, Excessive Mod Search or whatever. You'll start to download that server's stuff into your Cache folder. This can take a while and take some reconnects. But that's okay. Once the downloading is complete and you have loaded, you get in and see the UTPure error.

Quit UT.

Back to the Finder.

Assuming you have SimpleText or some text editting software on your Mac, you can find out what version of UTPure is running on the server you want to kick butt on. Do you know what and where the Cache folder is? It's next to the UT program itself along with System, Textures, Maps, etc... Now in this folder is a lot of files named something that makes no since, like 5A911D68C2D200045BFB6F30E78.uxx. Those are cache files. If you open the file called cache.ini (which you'll find in the same folder) with SimpleText, you'll see the mystery solved. Listed line-by-line are their definitions:

[Cache]
5A911D68C2D200045BFB6F30E78=CTF-Disposable.unr
22845499D361AFD4A967039D0DB=ClickBoard2.u
9394A2583193A6C1C888BA36FAB=CTF-B3Funkybaby.unr
5E011D4BCD354521CA1225EDC00=Bender.u
C4011D4BCD154521CA1225EDC00=BenderSkins.utx
so on, and so forth...

You start to look down this list and see where something like 4904AC3D0A0AB979AA8CD1FC27C=UTPureRC5z.u. You are so close to getting this solved. You now know the version of UTPure your favorite server is running. Its 5z.

You go download 5z and it's now on your machine (your default download location, of course) ready for you to install manually. But first you have to get rid of what is in your cache and its references. Because you have the cache.ini file open, you can figure out what files to remove, and to only remove. You don't want to download everything again, do ya?

So by comparing what is in the UTPure5z folder you just downloaded and what is listed in your cache.ini file, you remove the appropriate files. The next thing you do is remove the listed references in the cache.ini file of the cache files you just trashed. Delete the lines that would say something like 4904AC3D0A0AB979AA8CD1FC27C=UTPureRC5z.u entirely. What ever you trashed in the Finder, you remove here. Simple. You don't wan't your Cache file to reference something that doesn't exist.

Save and quit.

Now! Copy all the files that you just downloaded for that version of UTPure and place them into the System folder in The UnrealTournament folder. There should be about 8 of them. Now, Jack, go back and do it again. Start UT and connect to that same server. I bet it works. If it doesn't, well report back. It may not be you then. Good luck and happy fragging. HTH.

DrO
Unread 8th August, 2002, 10:16 PM
NightStalker

Man, what type of idiot comes asking for help then flames the people he wants help from?

Sad sad world...
Unread 9th August, 2002, 12:10 AM
shakaZOLO

I have nothing against anti-cheat developers. I repsect that people do it for free. I completely resent developers that ignore Mac users when developing mods for their apps. Everything worked fine before the latest versions of UTPure. The fact that I am not a cheater and cannot access any of the servers I frequent is justifcation to be pissed off. How can you flame me for a legitimate gripe. If the same thing happened to PC users, you would have been all in an uproar. I think your comments about my post are unjustified and hypocritical. Put yourself in my position. I haven't been able to play UT in a couple of weeks and it is a primary source of relation for me and many other Mac loyalists.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 12:14 AM
shakaZOLO

Also, last but not least, for many people out there who have no idea where to D/L these "versions" of UTPure (v,x ,z, etc)....please post the locations for downloading. It is not intuitive and seems to be the last piece of the puzzle. I will try what you say above and appreciate the help.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 12:20 AM
NightStalker

Um, if it had happened 2 PC users, I would have used some common sence and come here... Then I would have read the threads and followed the directions that my 8 year old could have followed, and then been online instead of coming here, and bashing the makers just because it kills off my system... I'm sorry, but you try 2 write something that will work on PC, Linux, and (shudder) MAC's... You think it is easy? You know how many freaking differences there are? You have any idea at all? The fix is right there in front of you.. It's been in this forum for ages... It isn't that hard 2 do.. If you make the decision 2 not implement it.. then that is YOUR problem... It isn't like they are asking you 2 perform something that is so hard... D/l the pures, put the files in your system folder, clear your cache, and bam you are fine...

Sorry 2 flame, but as someone who HAS actually coded something before and knows what is involved, I have sympathy for these guys.. I also appreciate all the hard work they are doing, and if it means that the work they do kills a platform or makes a mod so it doesn't work, bit deal... Oh, and yes.. I also run a jailbreak server which now because of something in pure kicks players after a certain action, I do know what it is like.. but you know what? I would rather have people kicked then deal w/ the scumbag cheaters that are out there... People w/ no skill at all who have 2 resort 2 using code to get their "skill"

So, in closing.. Yes, there is a "bug" that hits MAC users... but there is also a FIX for it... do some research next time before you choose 2 flame the creators else you can always find another server 2 play on... there are plenty out there that aren't running the newest pure...
Unread 9th August, 2002, 12:43 AM
shakaZOLO

How do you know that I didn't try to follow the "fixes" and didn't read all of the old posts. In fact, i read every post on the subject for multiple days. Truth is that there wasn't a clear enough post until I ruffled enough feathers to get one. Now I have something to work with that is clear and supposedly works (I will try it tonight). So I guess mission accomplished because now there could be something worthwhile and easy to follow. I would still suggest making a clear designation of where the files are located for D/L.

Any by the way, I have developed cross-platform. I know what it is like and I still feel it is irresponsible for anyone to ignore a platform.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 10:57 AM
Recoil

I am a MAC user and I have the same exact problems. Nothing works.

Hey Stalker, I think you are the one being inconsiderate, I suppose if all of a sudden some mod killed every single server for your UT you would be ecstatic? and you would come here and find a fix that doesn't exist? I bet you would just enjoy the hell out of it if the entire windows platform was killed off so Mac users wouldn't have to deal with cheaters. I think you need to grow up and learn that A. Putting a mod out before it is compatible with the entire app's audience is inconsiderate at the very least and B. Nothing so far that I have tried nor any other mac user I kow has tried including on this board has worked.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 01:23 PM
Administrator

From what I can gather Mac Users need to install versions of Pure manually.

I've added all (known to me) versions of Pure to my site, quick link - http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?nam...download&cid=24

In there (the top one) you will now find a Mac download.
This has all the versions of UT Pure in 1 zip file.
All versions have all the files (except Pure5x) in a System folder. Pure5x are files in a Cache folder (as per the fix posted on these forums).

Please extract and copy the files in the Cache folder to your UT Cache folder and the files in the System folder to your UT System folder (I apologise if as a PC user I am not using the appropriate Mac terminology).

If you can't use zip files then let me know what you need it compressing in (is Stuffit still the defecto?)

If it works/doesn't work please reply and let us all know

Phoenix Alliance - The Movie
Revisionistic Movie
The Unreal Admins Page - the resource for unreal admins
Unread 9th August, 2002, 04:21 PM
shakaZOLO

Azazel,

Thanks for the post. Can't access your server though. Just hands when I click on either link. Anyone else have these files?

shakaZOLO
Unread 9th August, 2002, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Seems somethings wrong with the damn hosting ... grrrr

No one else will have this "Mac File" as it was something I created.
Try again soon, hopefully the site will be back up then

Revisionistic Movie
Unread 9th August, 2002, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Sites back

Revisionistic Movie
Unread 9th August, 2002, 06:35 PM
shakaZOLO

My sincere thanks and best wishes. it works and I am back on my favorite servers. I hope this information will help other Mac users to get back online. If ANY of you needs further guidance, please don't hesitate to ask me for assistance. The wrong that has been inflicted on Mac users can be fixed with patience and persistence.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Spread the word of this site and my site brother

Revisionistic Movie
Unread 9th August, 2002, 08:48 PM
UsAaR33

For the record, I would like to say our code is designed to work on all platforms.

That is just what unrealscript is supposed to be.. kinda like java.

We even ensured that the code was compatible (I really can't get into details).

The problem, however, is not because of our code. It is Westlake. Simply put, they did something really screwy with the way UTPure is downloaded. It is different than on pc and linux.

Simply put, this is one of the things they changed that they shouldn't have. (some things cshp checked also had problems because of things in the "Virtual Machine" that were changed by westlake.

If any of you are familiar with java, it is almost like changing around what certain methods do.

Westlake, for the most part, made a clean port. But these little things they changed, for no appearent reason, are what cause these bugs.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 09:35 PM
shakaZOLO

:: shakaZOLO slaps himself around with a big apologetic trout
Unread 9th August, 2002, 09:35 PM
Elvis

To obtain a copy of the UTPure files, you don't have to independently download the UTPureRC5x.zip file to obtain UTPureRC5x.u and others (in the case that DrO used for an example). All the files you need to install are already in the cache folder.

All you have to do is take the file named in the cache.ini file (for example 4904AC3D0A0AB979AA8CD1FC27C.uxx) and change the name to UTPureRC5x.u and place it in the c:UnrealTournamentsystem folder. The files in the cache folder are the correct and uncompressed files, only renamed. The same holds for any file you download. All you have to know is in what folder it belongs.

You still have to delete the reference to these files in your cache.ini file, but all you have to do is rename them and move them, instead of deleting them and downloading the files separately. Also, you can have any number of UTPure versions in your system folder simultaneously.

I have used this technique for many files and I have found that it always worked as long as you duplicate the name assigned in the cache.ini file.
Unread 9th August, 2002, 09:51 PM
Recoil

Azazel,

Thanks, it works finally. You are the man, no you are the man, no really you ARE the man.