You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > General Anti-Cheat Discussion

Unread 2nd December, 2002, 05:23 PM
wobbler

Well, as I posted earlier I had no problems expanding the UT Pure-files but there might be users that get confused by the downloaded file(s) with the extension .php. I really don't know wheter it's a mimetype-setting on the server or not.

Regarding downloaded files on a mac: A user can set his browser to automatically expand/extract compressed downloads (in MSIE 5.2 under Preferences/Receiving files/Download options/ This applies either to MacBinary or BinHex files)), and I think that's the default setting. I personally have this option unchecked, since I want to decide when Stuffit should start expanding leeched files or not.

Then, there might also be some differences if you use Stuffit Expander (bundled with MacOS 9 and MacOSX) or Stuffit Deluxe (commercial version). I really don't think it's anything that should affect the extraction of the aforementioned files though.

POWER-TIP O'THE DAY: To be sure that a file is just downloaded (and not automagically extracted) to your harddrive, press Cmd (the li'l key with the text ALT) while selecting the href-link. Maybe this solves the issue with users getting files that looks like SimpleText documents.

When i come to think about it, Stuffit does expand .ZIP-files too. If you don't wanna bother getting someone on a mac to .SIT the files, just leave them zipped. It works anyhow.

Ok, enough mumbling for now. Let's go out frag some peecee..err.. UT-campers instead.
Unread 2nd December, 2002, 05:35 PM
Zeitkind

Quote:
Originally posted by wobbler
Then, there might also be some differences if you use Stuffit Expander (bundled with MacOS 9 and MacOSX) or Stuffit Deluxe (commercial version). I really don't think it's anything that should affect the extraction of the aforementioned files though.
Some (older) versions of Expander converted files by default. You can disable this in the preferences (AFAIK something cross-platform-blablabla).

I know many sites with php-problems eg. some boards like this. You sometimes even can't download anything.. eg. clicking on a .doc-link opens Quicktime.. Don't ask me why..
Unread 5th December, 2002, 05:33 PM
the_editor

Regarding the downloads from unrealadmin, I also got the simpletext files when I downloaded them to my desktoop. But I also got a window when I initiated the download that gave me the option to save-as when I was downloading. So I changed the .php extension to .zip and downloaded to the desktop. When I unstuffed them, they were UT files instead of text.

Also, DrO's solution to the UTPure problem has worked great for me. I'm happily fragging away. Thanks.
Unread 10th December, 2002, 06:55 PM
warnergt

I've been searching for an adequate solution to this problem for a while now. I was finally steered here. Thanks, shakaZOLO for shaking thing up to get a coherent answer.

Next question: I see that, in addition to the UTPure files to install, there are these CSHP files.

(See: http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?nam...download&cid=24 )

What are these? Must these be installed, too?

I'll be experimenting with these when I get home.
Unread 11th December, 2002, 06:29 AM
Zeitkind

Well, CSHP was - let's call it the first anti-cheating tool before UTPure. It is no longer supported nor updated, but you can sometimes see some servers still running those quite old versions. If you never play on those server, you don't need to install these files.
Unread 17th December, 2002, 05:23 AM
Crater Creator

Hi,
I tracked down these forums in search of making UT work for me again. I'm running UT 436 with the Carbon patch on MacOS 10.1.5, soon to be 10.2. I run UT as a client, not a server. I've tried downloading the file Azazel posted, to no avail. Specifically, I am still usually kicked off with a message that I have impurities, or I get a umenu mismatch. That file includes UTPure up to a version of UTPure 5. Most of the servers I try seem to be running UTPure 8. I also notice there is now UTPure 9 available.
I would simply like step-by-step instructions on what to download, install, and otherwise do to make my copy of UT run netgames on all, or at least the vast majority of, servers.
Before I get an answer, I have some other questions:
-Are UTPure 9 client files backwards-compatible with servers still running older versions? They should be. If not, what version should I have to be compatible with most servers?
-Could files intended for servers, not clients, cause problems? I suspect I may have added some such files, like CSHP server files.
-Could other system files I've downloaded, such as football.u and multiCTF.u, be culprits?
Unread 17th December, 2002, 07:48 AM
Zeitkind

- Remove all entries for servers in the ini's; to be sure, you might use a blank new unrealtournament.ini

- Empty your cache-Folder if possible
(or be sure, that there are NO entries in the cache that has to do with CSHP or UTPure)

- download all the UTPure-files, unstuff and drop them into your UT-systemfolder; there are no special Mac-versions, but you have to install the files manually

Remember: Each time a new version of UTPure comes out, you need to manually delete the entries in you cache and install the new files manually. The names of the files are the same as in theses archives you downloaded eg. UTPureXY or BP1HandlerXY etc. A typical line would be:
4904AC3D0A0AB979AA8CD1FC27C=UTPureRC59.u.
You always have to delete those lines in the cache if you go to a server with a new version.
Reason: The first time you go to a server with a new version, your UT tries to download the files and write them down in it's cache because UT does not find the files in you UT-system. For there are problems with the Macs, this fails. The entries stay and the cache has a higher priority than the files you afterward put into your UT-system-folder, so you first have to remove these lines in your cache and then put the files into your UT-system-folder.

Everybody confused now?
Unread 17th December, 2002, 08:24 AM
wobbler

Regarding new versions of UT Pure: When the latest version came out (RC59) it automagically downloaded to my Mac from the server using it, and of course I got the message that an unpurity was detected blabla. Just quit UT, grab the UT Pure RC59 (or whatever latest version there is) from the previous mentioned website. Unstuff and put the files that resides in the downloaded archive in apropriate folder (i.e. drag and drop the content in the folder named System into your UT System folder).

I got the option to replace the files (which of course is perfectly relevant since I earlier had them downloaded from the server I was trying to connect to). After replacing the UT Pure files, I could reboot UT and frag away again

I really don't know how to explain this in an easier way... it does work for me. Hope you get it all sorted out. And damn, I almost forgot how addictive a game of CTF Facing Worlds really were.. hehe. My girlfriend doesn't agree totally though. Oh well.
Unread 17th December, 2002, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Apologies in the delay, I've updated the Pure Mac Client to include all versions of Pure up to RC59.

More info here - http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?nam...rder=0&thold=-1

Phoenix Alliance - The Movie
Revisionistic Movie
The Unreal Admins Page - the resource for unreal admins
Unread 17th December, 2002, 09:52 AM
wobbler

No worries for the 'delay'. You're doing a great job to help us mac-users
Unread 17th December, 2002, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Crater Creator
I run UT as a client, not a server.  I've tried downloading the file Azazel posted, to no avail.
The file you downloaded only had up to RC54 in and you are trying to join servers RC58 and RC59 ... read my post 2 about this about the update.
Download that and you should be fine now

Quote:
No worries for the 'delay'. You're doing a great job to help us mac-users
Cheers wobbler appreciate the comments

Phoenix Alliance - The Movie
Revisionistic Movie
The Unreal Admins Page - the resource for unreal admins
Unread 18th December, 2002, 04:31 AM
Crater Creator

Kudos, Azazel. Every server I tried worked, even CSHP and oddball ones. Thank you for making this game work again.
(I reinstalled UT, then the Carbon patch, and then installed the UTPure files, so if others are having trouble, that's what worked for me.)
Unread 31st December, 2002, 08:02 PM
dougy_n

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
I feel for you Thray as I am sure you sent a polite and well written email asking for some response.

dougy_n, sorry bud I lost my patience with you a long time ago.
People who tried  to help have just had anger thrown back at them.

I've read back a couple of posts and I said I would make a CSHP version of the fix which I have failed to do and will work on now.

I don't mean to bring up a dead thing here but you know why I was pissed and still am? I hd to go through so much trouble before Azazel took the chance an made something to fix this. UTpure team I still think you're doing somehting wrong but nobody, you included, knows what it is. Well I found westlake in the phone book yesterday. I bet the lady who answered my call was in tears by the end of my 'expalantions'. Which were all msolty What the f*ck is your godamn problem?' Anyway thanks Az, and good news for al of you today. I stayed up last night with my friend on his Pc we finihed coding our bot. An 'aimbot' that resets every control in the game to suicide. HAHAAHHAHAHAHA!
Unread 4th January, 2003, 07:32 AM
MaLiCe

I guess I am just stupid, but its not working for me in osx. The other thing is am I to understand that every time you guys update ut pure I have to do this all over again, nothing personal but if thats true that sucks.
Unread 29th January, 2003, 01:39 AM
DustSmoke

I can't agree with anything more than the explicit 'need' for utpure and it's dedicated developers. Thanks guys.

But let me rant just a tiny bit. We shouldn't be descriminated against just because we don't use windows. If there is anything I can do to help you with the linux, bsd, and osx clients. I would be more than happy to offer my time. Otherwise we should get this worked out so the unix users don't have to track down every single version just to play the game.

P.S. does anybody know where I can find an archive of utpure? I need some of the older ones for half the servers. Speaking of.... where 'is' the official download for utpure?
Unread 29th January, 2003, 04:48 AM
TNSe

It's nice to see that you actually think we are doing this on purpose to discriminate the users of non-windows based OS's.

Let me tell you the truth here,
it seems like when UT was converted to the different OS's, there came up some slight differences in how stuff is handled. Macintosh people seem to be hit hardest, since the conversion seems to have a ton of weird issues regarding cache.

To all of you who think we did this on purpose, great, you keep on thinking that you are being discriminated if that helps you feel happy. For those of you who can actually believe that I wish it would work the same for Windows and all others, please sigh over the bugs (?) in the conversion of UT and install manually.
Unread 29th January, 2003, 06:22 AM
DustSmoke

Quote:
Originally posted by TNSe
It's nice to see that you actually think we are doing this on purpose to discriminate the users of non-windows based OS's.

Let me tell you the truth here,
it seems like when UT was converted to the different OS's, there came up some slight differences in how stuff is handled. Macintosh people seem to be hit hardest, since the conversion seems to have a ton of weird issues regarding cache.

To all of you who think we did this on purpose, great, you keep on thinking that you are being discriminated if that helps you feel happy. For those of you who can actually believe that I wish it would work the same for Windows and all others, please sigh over the bugs (?) in the conversion of UT and install manually.
Did i hit a touchy subject with you TNSe? Quite a reaction from you.

Did I ever say I thought you did it on purpose? I don't think so. But you can best be assured that if you had to install the windows client manually you guys would be looking into this a lot more.

I'm not trying to make you mad... Just put yourself in our shoes. We get told we can't play the game all day long... Then we have to run around and track down some file somewhere on the internet since there is no place to download it from you guys. Older versions are a pain to find seems like. And half the time I'm not positive the ones I am getting are anything more than a cracked version some 'kid' was trying to bust so he could use his little aimbot or whatever.

If we have to install them this way, so be it. Just give me someplace to get them all from. Heck i'd see the benifit of a superpackage containing all of the recent versions that won't install on unix.

And I'll even say it again just to remind you, "Keep up the good work!"
Unread 29th January, 2003, 07:04 AM
TNSe

By looking through this thread, I found several occurances of downloadable pure files.

Here is one for you people who do not read anything.
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?nam...rder=0&thold=-1

Unfortunately, you must read something when you read that page. Reading will not kill you. Try reading what it says, and read your way through the install procedures.

Read.
Unread 29th January, 2003, 08:44 PM
DustSmoke

Quote:
Originally posted by TNSe
By looking through this thread, I found several occurances of downloadable pure files.

Here is one for you people who do not read anything.
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.php?nam...rder=0&thold=-1  

Unfortunately, you must read something when you read that page. Reading will not kill you. Try reading what it says, and read your way through the install procedures.

Read.
ok, thanks, I didn't read because I thought my problem was so incredibly unique.
Unread 30th January, 2003, 03:00 AM
Madmax

I been reading over and over these posts, but no matter what I do (add the UTpure files in /usr/local/games/loki/System or ~/.loki/ut/System and clean the cache) i still get the impurity ID:89281 when I connect to RC59 servers from my box @ home which is running REDHAT 8.0 or from work on Mandrake 8.2.
I have the Loki version of the game with patch 436.

S.O.S its been a month since I played on line.

P.S. Do I have to add lines in my UnrealTournament.ini file?

Thx