You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > Wormbos Area > General Chat

Unread 20th November, 2010, 05:23 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default unlagged & ut99

Is it possible to code Unlagged to work in ut99? I was just curious as it would sure shake up the zp cheats out there.
Unread 20th November, 2010, 04:59 PM
out of order

Doesn't UTPure already contain Unlagged InstaGib? At least I was told about the idea of Unlagged by TNSe, who maintained UTPure code.
Unread 20th November, 2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

No, they tested it as a standalone mod and the feedback was quite negative.
Unread 21st November, 2010, 10:44 AM
out of order

Of course it was, it doesn't allow mass-murdering.
Anyway, the tricky part of unlagged is that the server must accurately figure out the client's ping. Also the client needs to spawn its hit effects immediately while the server needs to figure out the required amount of unlagging.

What kind of negative feedback did the mod receive? I mean, provided ping calculations are correct, there's not much difference to ZP. (I wonder if there's reason to create unlag-checked ZP, i.e. server keeps track of unlagging data to check if clients actually tell the truth about their hits.)
Unread 21st November, 2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator

I wasn't around when they tested it. There's another problem besides calculating player ping though. Afaik UEngine 1 has no native support for interpolation.
Unread 21st November, 2010, 08:41 PM
out of order

No native interpolation isn't really a problem. For the UT3 version I only used VLerp(A, B, Alpha), which is short for (A + Alpha * (B - A)), with vectors A and B and float Alpha.
Unread 25th November, 2010, 01:26 AM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks for considering the possibilities. It would be a nice change from zp to see if it could bring back some more community and fair play back to ut99
Unread 11th December, 2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

this needs to be started and i fear i will be the one starting it, so anything i need to know would be apprectiated

as far as i can see, it needs to remember recent locations for all players, the server places a lagged collision cylinder for the potential victim

so it calculates potentials victim position and compares it to timestamp of when they were there. this would all be serverside and no need for a server package

but just to see whether it was possible i put together a zero-ping last man standing actor/package (using purestats weapons).works with normal weapon priorities and all normal weapon binds, the priorities and binds wouldn't be a problem if any weapons had to be custom

however there shouldnt be anything client-side about it, it isn't zero ping. you can't shoot people after they've gone around corners. I've watched countless WCG matches and never seen players jump up and down against instant hit weapons to get a frag. zero ping needs to rot somewhere else other than ut99

also just wanted to say, to all admins, please don't make any servers with a tickrate higher than 20 unless you are going to use the clan base fall minigun and pulse gun (built into purestats). that said if your server can handle it, a 120 tick server with no memory or cpu heavy mods and a small player load, play around with it. def. no need for zero ping

Last edited by billybill : 11th December, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Unread 11th December, 2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

ok scratch my last comments, i just read the unlagged instagib readme and it has zero ping, and clientside timestamp reporting if i am correct
Unread 11th December, 2010, 11:08 PM
out of order

Zero-ping and Unlagged are not directly related to the tickrate. However, Unlagged has the potential of virtually increasing the tickrate effect by interpolating the target player to somewhere between two actual positions.

It is not entirely true that Unlagged would not require ServerPackages. You need to enable unlagging when the player shoots, so that's a hook into the firing logic. As far as I can tell this is only possible in UT200x where there are separate WeaponFire objects for the weapon's firing modes and these are independent on server and client. In UT you probably need to replace the weapon itself, thus requiring custom content on the client.

For Unlagged it's absolutely crucial that you calculate the correct ping, otherwise unlagged collision locations become unpredictable and it gets even harder for the client to hit something than without unlagging.

[edit]
And no, there's no clientside calculation for Unlagged InstaGib. It's different from ZeroPing. The only clientside stuff you need to add is decoupling the firing animation and shot effects from replication so the shots no longer feel lagged. This happens automatically in UT3 and I was too lazy to do it in UT2004. Not sure if it already happens in UT.

Last edited by Wormbo : 11th December, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Unread 23rd December, 2010, 04:48 AM
Forum Newcomer

Sounds really interesting

Again I thank you all for considering the possibilities.

Happy Holidays!!!