You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT3 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 31st December, 2007, 01:19 AM
Forum Newcomer

Exclamation [UT3 running as Service] & [No query reply?]

Hey all,

I got a few issues with running a UT3 server on a windows 2003 machine.

The first issue that occurs is if I try to run the server as a windows service, server will not appear online or responsive in any way. Im sure the actual server works because if I launch the program using a batch file its all nice and playable, but a soon as I am running the server under windows services (very same startup parameters) it wont appear online.

Lets just assume I got all the parameters on the right place and its a proven setup.

When I check the used ports I notice that It only uses port 9980 UDP and 13000 UDP, and it cuts on the connection after about 10 seconds. This is behavior that I haven't seen before with UT2k4 and UT99 servers (ucc.exe) before. The second sign of this behavior is the lack of a generated serverlog.

So my question for this issue: Is there anyone out there that managed to make UT3 server work under windows services? And if so, how?

The second issue in this topic is that even if the server is running (batch-wise), it will not give me feedback on the UDP query beacon. I use Cruz's script to get the server stats and even though I get a 0 (meaning OK) it will not return any data. Raw UDP readings only give me a default reply, no further data. Is this a known issue? Is there a solution for it?

Any help, feedback or suggestions on these two problems are highly encouraged. Many thanks in advance.
Unread 31st December, 2007, 09:53 AM
Rampage

try running the batch with firedaemon as a service.

as for the udp port : anyfirewalls/routers allowing it ?, also did you specify the query port in the commandline ?

(as you said you try to run the servers as a service, 6500 default for the first one, if you got a 2nd running, the 2nd server will be @ 6600. etc. as you said some of the servers running as a direct service got issue's )
Unread 31st December, 2007, 03:06 PM
Forum Newcomer

Thank you for your reply!

Our servers run a similar system like FireDeamon uses. Its pretty much the same back end code, the firewalls are configured to allow traffic from these ports and I specifically specified a query port in the command line (being 6500).

These are the first things I looked at, but having these issues sorted got me left with no obvious issue to blame =รพ.

Last edited by Gerben : 31st December, 2007 at 03:10 PM.
Unread 15th January, 2008, 08:21 PM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
So my question for this issue: Is there anyone out there that managed to make UT3 server work under windows services? And if so, how?
I posted one possible (but not perfect) solution on Dirrtyclan's forum back in December: http://forum.dirrtyclan.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=149

UT3 Server starts up differently than UT2K4 server did... passing startup parameters for a Windows Service does not work for UT3 (I had this working flawlessly for UT2K4). Because of this I was forced to load the batch file as the service, which in turn launches UT3. Obviously not a perfect solution... the only real benefit is that UT3 Server will restart if the server is restarted (without the need to log in).