You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 4

Unread 30th July, 2015, 11:56 AM
Unstoppable

Default WTF!? cheats are being made already?

not long since this game came out,

and people are making cheats already! FFS!

My name is Konata, Iam your GODDESS!

Timotei, timotei, timotei!

My lord loves you!
Unread 30th July, 2015, 05:11 PM
out of order

Wrong reaction. Should have been: "Wow, did it really take that long before cheats came out for this game?"

Seriously, this thread and the cheats are overrated.
Unread 31st July, 2015, 11:24 AM
Unstoppable

Yeah, I see it now. My mistake.

But aren't you annoyed, Wormbo? I mean, I really hope this game doesn't get a BAD reputation because of this!

My lord loves you!
Unread 31st July, 2015, 06:08 PM
out of order

Why should I? Games can not only get a bad reputation from actual massive cheating, but also from implying that there's a massive cheating problem when there really isn't. And there really isn't (yet) in UT4. People have spotted individual aimbot users, jumped to conclusions and simply overreacted, like you did.
Unread 31st July, 2015, 06:15 PM
Unstoppable

Red face

Yeah. I'm not saying you don't care about the game (but sounds like you don't)

but I can see why people react improperly due to the fact people are.... What'ds the word? .... .... .... .... paranoid!!!

I can see why people get paranoid over this., like i did! Sorry!

My lord loves you!
Unread 1st August, 2015, 02:45 PM
Godlike

There hasn't been a game yet that effectively dealt with cheating. That's a full decade plus of very intelligent people working on a seemingly simple problem that's become arguably impossible to solve. Everything is there to ensure the problem is solved too. Many games have withered on the vine because of cheaters (I'm looking at you DayZ, you broke my heart) and they directly affected the sales of the game. That's a huge financial incentive to finally fix it but sadly even heavy hitters like Steam and PB can't do it.

It may be that the architecture of server/client will never allow for total security. It certainly is beginning to look that way. Cheaters used to really bother me but I've just adopted a "meh" attitude now. If I play a game I do it on passworded servers and in groups that are established. If that's not available then I just don't play the game on public servers. It does kinda suck but there's not much of anything that can be done otherwise. I see no reason at all things are going to change course in the near/middle future so it's best to align yourself now with the way to play that has the most entertainment value and the least aggravation.
Unread 1st August, 2015, 06:32 PM
out of order

From a technical point of view, an anti-cheat tool is a kind of malware to the cheater and his cheat has the advantage of owning the system with user consent. That effectively means the battle in the client side is quite futile.
The battle on the server side doesn't look any better, as even the best programmers and researches that took on the problem only partially solved the problem of distinguishing legit players from cheaters. There's only so much you can do when a cheat becomes invisible even to the human eye.

But I guess there's at least a solution for the blantant trolling cheats that simply snap onto targets and shoot hit-scan weapons as long as there's a target available. Those should be easy to pick out even with serverside-only methods.
Also, radar users could potentially be detected by inferring what they should and shouldn't know when they react to something. "Hack Cam" seemed to have implemented such checks before, but that was long ago and has been lost since then. Maybe with the increasing popularity of so-called "big data analytics", someone eventually comes up with some kind of "cloud" service that analyzes a stream of player movement data from games to figure out if those players had some kind of "helper tools" running that gave them an advantage.
(Or maybe I was just too exposed to my new employer's corporate enthusiasm...)
Unread 2nd August, 2015, 12:07 AM
Godlike

I hope "new employer" is also "good news" for you, you deserve it.

Your view on cloud computing being the future of anticheat is likely where I think it will end up going. Computational checks versus player averages are a good way to begin to identify those players who swing wildly on performance.

I ran a player checker of my own for a while on my servers and ended up sending it to several other admins to play with. It silently ran in the background logging how fast a player turned, how far the arc was, and if they shot at something then how long did it take to actually fire, and did they hit something. That sounds like a lot of info and it ends up being a bunch of logs BUT it starts to paint a compelling picture of individual players. Clearly I could show you multiple matches where a certain player spends a whole match performing within a fairly set ability. However I can also show you matches where there were several really good players on and this person's ability suddenly skyrocketed, but over very short and distinct bands of time. Statistically I could show a pretty compelling case that the use of artificial aiming was being hotkeyed. This happened multiple times with several people, and admins who used it also saw this in certain players on their servers.

In the end I think statistics gathering will be what quells the cheating (if anything can). It's not going to stop it but it will make it so that cheating only gets you to a certain level before you get flagged. I think server admins need to share information much more too. UT should have a webpage where logs, demos, and player IP's are there for everyone to see and decide.