PDA

View Full Version : Can windows server run without shader 2.0 card?

Lazarus
20th October, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hi guys,

I've tried reading up on the threads but there's something I'm not clear on. I have a windows box on a good connection and I want to run a dedicated server on it. The server box doesn't have a shader 2.0 card in it. If I try to launch UT3 demo (either directly or through a shortcut with server -DM map, etc.) I get an error and the log mentions the lack of a shader 2.0 card.

If I put a 2900xt into the machine it runs fine; but being the server box I can't keep that card in there 24/7.

Do I really need a shader 2.0 card in a server that I only want to run from command line? Surely there must be some way of doing this, without having to buy a cheap shader 2.0 card?

I just want to know if anyone's managed it, otherwise I'll give up with that :confused:

Cheers for any input.

Naked_Ape
20th October, 2007, 08:48 PM
Until there is a dedicated server released you will need a server that fullfil the requirements of the client.

Target
21st October, 2007, 02:47 AM
Same situation here, I have not found any work arounds, now waiting for the full demo.:twisted:

Lazarus
21st October, 2007, 04:51 AM
What about the method Baiter posted here:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26039

In theory that should work, since he's using it on machines with 16mb graphics cards? My first try wasn't successful though

Target
21st October, 2007, 06:27 AM
What about the method Baiter posted here:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26039

In theory that should work, since he's using it on machines with 16mb graphics cards? My first try wasn't successful though

Ya I tried that as well, but still got the shader 2.0 error in the launch log.
The server box I have only has an 8 meg ATI agp 2x card (I know , its primitive), but runs every server I want to run on it except UT3.

Killerbee
21st October, 2007, 12:29 PM
Hi,
i had the same probs overhere, i have en TI4200 from NVDIA and i wanted to
host a dedicated server. serverlog came also with that message... and
idd no server showing up.

I had a box with some good old VGA cards and found an ASUS V9520 (FX5200, so a much cheaper card then the TI4200!!)

After installing the old crap card... the server came up after 40 secs.. the
FX5200 had a little higher shaderbox then 2.0. so it worked with a cheaper card!

conclussions, for a dedicated server u dont need a expensive card but u need and shaderbox higher then 2.0.

note: server is starting from the commandline as subscribed on many topics
and forums...

GL!!

KB