PDA

View Full Version : strange ut&ut2k3 behavour

thief
4th March, 2004, 04:53 PM
sry my bad english :)

im organising lans and so i need cool ut/ut2k3 and so on server.

since i have lot of mods and custom maps on my servers, but lan-peeps usually hate long dl times :D, im playing arround with redirect dls...

really roxx :)

now the problem is this:

(ut2k3, 2225 patch server& client)
redirect works more or less.....

means:
if i try it with the dns-name i got a "failed to dl" if i replace the dns with the ip it works (but dns is working, cause with the browser i get to the right dir either way...)

really drives me crazy

(ut 451 client and server):
no way to get redir to work here... allways get a "dl failed"...

no difference between ip or dns-name...

also here the browser hasn't a prob to get to the dir...
the requested files are on the redir server....

hope someone here can provide me with a idea how to get it working....

thx for any help.

thief

50BMG
4th March, 2004, 05:20 PM
Please post both of the redirect settings you're trying to use.

Also...

If you are going to be playing only on a LAN, you could set up a Redirect server on the LAN itself. This is BLAZINGLY FAST. Much more than an internet based redirect.

thief
4th March, 2004, 06:00 PM
Please post both of the redirect settings you're trying to use.

Also...

If you are going to be playing only on a LAN, you could set up a Redirect server on the LAN itself. This is BLAZINGLY FAST. Much more than an internet based redirect.

wasnt clear, i guess :)

im using a lan redir server..
(3x100mbit, load-balanced... :D (dns: server6))
the files on the redir are compressed

ut:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=false
MaxDownloadSize=0
ConnectionTimeout=15.0
InitialConnectTimeout=35.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=20000
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=3.0
LanServerMaxTickRate=35

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://server6/ut/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=
UseCompression=True

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ut2k3:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=false
ConnectionTimeout=180.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=200000
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=4.0
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
;DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
AllowPlayerPortUnreach=False
LogPortUnreach=False
MaxConnPerIPPerMinute=10
LogMaxConnPerIPPerMin=False

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://server6/ut2k3/
---------------- (working if set to ip: http://90.0.0.6/ut2k3/)----------------
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=
UseCompression=True

hope this helps...
just dont understand why the ut2k3 config works with ip, but not with dns??

50BMG
4th March, 2004, 06:53 PM
Yes, I obviously misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmmm...

So UT is able to reach the redirect but UT2k3 can't?
..and you can browse to the UT2k3 folder on the redirect so access rights aren't a problem.

Interesting.

Did you check the case of the ut2k3 folder name on the redirect?

What is the redirect hosted on, Windows, Linux, ?

Maybe you could post the LOG file of a client trying to connect to the UT2k3 server for a download? We might see something there.

This one's a long shot, but check that your UT2K3 server is using the local DNS server preferentially. (before any other DNS server)

thief
4th March, 2004, 07:23 PM
Yes, I obviously misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmmm...

So UT is able to reach the redirect but UT2k3 can't?
..and you can browse to the UT2k3 folder on the redirect so access rights aren't a problem.

Interesting.

Did you check the case of the ut2k3 folder name on the redirect?

What is the redirect hosted on, Windows, Linux, ?

Maybe you could post the LOG file of a client trying to connect to the UT2k3 server for a download? We might see something there.

This one's a long shot, but check that your UT2K3 server is using the local DNS server preferentially. (before any other DNS server)

np.. didn't wote it...

na, other way round..
aslong as i use the redir with the ip, ut2k3 works well with redir, but if i flipp the ip with the dns-name, it wont work anymore..
but if i copy/paste both urls in to my browser (with ip or dns) they both work... thats the real strange thing....

ut dosent work at all....

redir is a winxp corp server machine.

well, he has to use my local dns, since its the internetgateaway aswell... (proxy-server)

need to start server first and connect to it.. since im trying to keep it running befor a lan, we wont have mutch logs....

thief
4th March, 2004, 07:46 PM
ut2k3 log (with ip (working)

DevNet: PendingLevel received: USES GUID=A7CB955645F948138CBEF68A8063C396 PKG=ExcessiveMesh FLAGS=1 SIZE=580329 GEN=1 FNAME=ExcessiveMesh.usx
DevNet: PendingLevel received: DLMGR CLASS=IpDrv.HTTPDownload PARAMS=http://90.0.0.6/ut2k3/ COMPRESSION=1
DevNet: PendingLevel received: DLMGR CLASS=Engine.ChannelDownload PARAMS=Enabled COMPRESSION=0
DevNet: PendingLevel received: WELCOME LEVEL=DM-Antalus LONE=0
DevNet: Welcomed by server: LEVEL=DM-Antalus LONE=0
Log: Decoded IP 90.0.0.6 (90.0.0.6)
DevNet: Receiving package 'DM-Antalus'
Log: LoadMap: 90.0.0.12:8120/DM-Antalus?LAN?Name=thief?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=German_K98?team=0
Log: (Karma): Initialising Karma for Level.
Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
Log: Static mesh batches: 2745936 vertex bytes, 380904 index bytes
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: 84416.2ms Unloading: Package NvidiaLogo
Log: 84416.3ms Unloading: Package NvidiaLogo_T
Log: 84416.4ms Unloading: Package HumanoidArchitecture2
Log: 84416.4ms Unloading: Package NvidiaLogo_M

thief
4th March, 2004, 07:47 PM
the same server but with dns..

DevNet: PendingLevel received: USES GUID=A7CB955645F948138CBEF68A8063C396 PKG=ExcessiveMesh FLAGS=1 SIZE=580329 GEN=1 FNAME=ExcessiveMesh.usx
DevNet: PendingLevel received: DLMGR CLASS=IpDrv.HTTPDownload PARAMS=http://server6/ut2k3/ COMPRESSION=1
DevNet: PendingLevel received: DLMGR CLASS=Engine.ChannelDownload PARAMS=Enabled COMPRESSION=0
DevNet: PendingLevel received: WELCOME LEVEL=DM-AtlusTemple LONE=0
DevNet: Welcomed by server: LEVEL=DM-AtlusTemple LONE=0
Log: Decoded IP (0.0.0.0)
DevNet: Receiving package 'DM-AtlusTemple'
ScriptLog: GUIController::CloseMenu - Package.UT2MidGameMenu
ScriptLog: GUIController::CloseMenu - Package.UT2ServerInfo
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Exit: Preparing to exit.

50BMG
5th March, 2004, 02:26 AM
Thank you for responding to each of my questions. I like the detail of your answers and I think I can understand now.

The situation is as follows:
[list:3821fb2756]RedirectToURL=http://server6/ut/ <---Fails
RedirectToURL=http://90.0.0.6/ut/ <---Fails
RedirectToURL=http://server6/ut2k3/ <---Fails
RedirectToURL=http://90.0.0.6/ut2k3/ <---Works
[/list:u:3821fb2756]Is that correct?

Now for my questions: [list:3821fb2756]1) - What is the port number of the Redirect server?
[list:3821fb2756]
If it isn't 80, you must include it with the redirect IP:[list:3821fb2756]
RedirectToURL=http://server6:8120/ut/
RedirectToURL=http://90.0.0.6:8120/ut2k3/[/list:u:3821fb2756][/list:u:3821fb2756]
2) - Are you sure the DNS name is server6 and not www.server6.com ? Your browser could be making a correction without your being aware. From what your are saying the DNS search on the name http://server6/ is not being resolved.

3) - Whenever I examine the line:[list:3821fb2756]
RedirectToURL=http://server6/ut/ [/list:u:3821fb2756]
There is a "space" character on the end of the line. This cannot be. The line must end at the final "/" character.

...redir is a winxp corp server machine... ...well, he has to use my local dns, since its the internetgateaway aswell... (proxy-server)
4) - Is this a true proxy server? I believe DNS name resolution is done by the CLIENT and so it must be enabled in the OS there.
[/list:u:3821fb2756]One observation:
[list:3821fb2756]You do not need to separate UT files from UT2K3 files on the redirect server. They can reside in the same folder, since once they are compressed they have different extensions.
[/list:u:3821fb2756]See if any of this helps.

thief
5th March, 2004, 11:47 AM
you dont need to thank me... i need to thank you :)

to your view of the situation:
jup, thats the point.

1:
im running on standart http 80 port, since my redirect also is used as stats and forum server...

2:
na actually it is server 6.
since he isnt registred on the web, so no www...

domain might be, since i made the virtual-domain ".lutz.com".
but also this isnt the problem, i guess... since pinging, ftp'ing and the rcs redirect checker software work fine with server 6..
(i gonna check out tonight, just to be sure...)

if i check the log, it seems he cant resolve server6, but thats an unreal-only problem as it seems for me at this point.

3:
HMMRRR..... dindn't noticed that space.... gona fix this also tonight...
thx for figuring out
guess at least redir via ip should work then too... (damn little thingys, driving me nuts..)

4:
jup its a true proxy...
the ositis winproxy-suite...

runs well..
if computer(s) are set to dhcp-clients, i get an ip and subnet in the correct range; gateway and dns-ip belongs to the proxy, so everthing ok on that end....

(client refers to dns-server for name<>ip resolving, and gets ip in return, if this isnt possible, the name<>ip request will be sent to next higher dns server (in my case those of my isp) and so on, untill a dns server knows the name<>ip..)

to your observation:
yeah, your right... figured it out after compressing... uz, uz2..
hmmm.. does ut2k4 also use uz2? or something else?? (working on a demo-server...)

but that way its easier for my to divid it up on 2 redir-servers if necessary.. :D

btw:
why does ut not see more than 10cmd-line servers per pc??
noticed this as i tried to run all my ini's for failure testing... had 15 servers open, but on the client i just saw 10...

greez thief

50BMG
5th March, 2004, 01:56 PM
I feel we're making progress here....

Your english is actually pretty good. I can understand you quite well in most cases. Technical subjects demand high comprehension compared to normal conversation, so don't be concerned by my requests for clarification - they happen frequently when helping english speaking natives too!

2:
na actually it is server 6.
since he isnt registred on the web, so no www...

domain might be, since i made the virtual-domain ".lutz.com".
but also this isnt the problem, i guess... since pinging, ftp'ing and the rcs redirect checker software work fine with server 6..
(i gonna check out tonight, just to be sure...)

if i check the log, it seems he cant resolve server6, but thats an unreal-only problem as it seems for me at this point.

Ok, good to check. If you have a packet sniffer, you can look at how UT is attempting the name resolution. That will take you directly to what's wrong.

From the symptoms, the name isn't resolving to a usable IP. I noticed that you referred to the name as both "server6" and "server 6".... any chance the space character is foiling the search? I'm not trying to be snyde here, translation of spaces is usually a problem. I've seen them represented in names as: "%20" or something.

Another thought does occur to me... maybe you could cheat and use Windows to perform the name resolution at another level. Just edit the C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts file on the game clients and include a new line:
[list:5e4c587267]90.0.0.6 server6
[/list:u:5e4c587267]Of course you could just use the numeric IP in the redirect string... that wouldn't offend me. However, it would be nice to know what the issue is with name resolution too.

3:
HMMRRR..... dindn't noticed that space.... gona fix this also tonight...
thx for figuring out
guess at least redir via ip should work then too... (damn little thingys, driving me nuts..)

Yeah, me too the first time I noticed I'd done it! It's a general sensitivity of several INI parameters. Let me know if that was it.

4:
jup its a true proxy...
the ositis winproxy-suite...

runs well..
if computer(s) are set to dhcp-clients, i get an ip and subnet in the correct range; gateway and dns-ip belongs to the proxy, so everthing ok on that end....

This one has me a bit confused.... I don't honestly know if the Proxy settings in the INI should be filled out or not. Maybe it's worth a try?

For example:

[list:5e4c587267][IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://server6/ut/
ProxyServerHost= <------ Here ?
ProxyServerPort= <------ And Here?
UseCompression=True

[list:5e4c587267]P.S. - It's not at all clear to me if it needs to be filled out on the Game Client, the Game Server, both, or neither? - Hows that for confusion ?![/list:u:5e4c587267]
[/list:u:5e4c587267] (client refers to dns-server for name<>ip resolving, and gets ip in return, if this isnt possible, the name<>ip request will be sent to next higher dns server (in my case those of my isp) and so on, untill a dns server knows the name<>ip..)
Right. I was referring to Client as in: "Game Client" - meaning the game client performs the DNS request and IP resolution on the redirect string, not the game server. The [game] server just passes the redirect string to the [game] client.

btw:
why does ut not see more than 10cmd-line servers per pc??
noticed this as i tried to run all my ini's for failure testing... had 15 servers open, but on the client i just saw 10...

I think you'll have to explain this one to me a little more. I don't quite understand what you meant here. Maybe you could outline your testing methology a little?

thief
5th March, 2004, 07:19 PM
ok did some testing..
(just could test ut2k3 till now, since i idot deleted the entire map folder.. including the entry map and so one.. (dumb me..))

however, ut2k3 worked well with the dns+domain.
http://server6.lutz.com/ut2k3/

might it be that the unreal-engine has problems if there isnt any dot-domain??

and its server6...
i just wrote sometimes server 6 ... sorry about that...
as i said: those little thingys.... :D

"Another thought does occur to me... maybe you could cheat and use Windows to perform the name resolution at another level. Just edit the C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts file on the game clients and include a new line:

90.0.0.6 server6 "

hmm..... dont want to change the settings of any client on a lan... up to 300+ changes... (omfg :) )
allready hard enought to bring em to dl the latest patches...
thats also the reason why i want to use dns.... dont wanna change the ip in every ini on a new lan ( would be atleast monthly once on up to 30 ini's... its not impossible of course, but why should i doing it on the hardway if there is an easy one too??)

about the proxy-lines:
my personal thoughts on that:
i would need them to be filled out on my game-servers if i would have some inet-clients trying to play on my servers.

since aslong as we play on lan, we actually wouldnt need any proxy...

(correct me if im wrong...)
dont think the client side has to be filled out anyway...

about the server testing:
my servers run on a xp-machine, with bat files.

i started all servers to connect with a client and play for a few mins to see if the mods/mutators are working as they should.

as i counted the servers on the ut-lan-tab i noticed that it only showed 10 of the 15 servers running on the host machine.
i was confused and thought i had a port troubel, but the inis where correct, and after starting each bat and checking the ports with the client i coulndt see a prob...
it seems that ut (duno if 2k3 too) cant handle more then 10 games at once. (maybe some port restrictions?)

50BMG
5th March, 2004, 10:32 PM
... ut2k3 worked well with the dns+domain. http://server6.lutz.com/ut2k3/ might it be that the unreal-engine has problems if there isnt any dot-domain??

Yes, I'm sure it doesn't do any search function... if the DNS server doesn't associate the name with an IP as stated, UT won't add any. Most browsers and such will do this secondary kind of thing, or maybe it's performed by the OS itself, but I've never seen UT do it. You've found the problem.

...since aslong as we play on lan, we actually wouldnt need any proxy...

(correct me if im wrong...) dont think the client side has to be filled out anyway...
Yes, I'm sure you're right since you found the issue with the domain name.

...about the server testing:

i started all servers to connect with a client and play for a few mins to see if the mods/mutators are working as they should.

Do you mean this the other way around.... You connect to each, one at a time, with a Game Client to see that they work ok?

as i counted the servers on the ut-lan-tab i noticed that it only showed 10 of the 15 servers running on the host machine.

This would indicate a limit to the LAN browser within the Game Client. I didn't know about this one if that's what it is.

Would be interesting to give each server a unique name and see which ones show up. (The 10 topologically closest maybe?)

Thanks for the explanations.

I think you're all fixed up... Good Luck :gulp:

thief
5th March, 2004, 11:43 PM
well,
yes so fare everthing works just great *beiinghappy*
tested it trough :D
funny to watch a 120mb mod gets dl and install in no-time :D
improves server-quaity alot :)

thy for all your time and help :notworthy:

"thief wrote:
...about the server testing:

Do you mean this the other way around.... You connect to each, one at a time, with a Game Client to see that they work ok? "

yeah, other way round :) guess would be complicated to connect with server to client... i really should doubble check my sentences....

about the 10 servers:
it showed the 10 that started up first... (got all named)

its not a prob of clientside tab, since at the last big lan (1500pps) i found fare more then 10 server on the tab... so it must be kind of server limmitation....

greez and thx thief