PDA

View Full Version : Change from hub to switch

LittleHorn
8th July, 2004, 08:27 PM
Ok i run an unreal tournament server and had it all set up so it was running. The setup was:

computers >into> firewall (alphashield) >into> linksys router >into> hub >into> internet

but it has now been changed to:

compuers >into> linksys router >into> firewall >into> DLink switch >into> internet.

Now my server does not run when i look into the servers list (all is setup correctly in advanced options and advertise is ticked and the router settings have not been changed). What is the reason for my ut server not getting through when all that has been changed is the order of the hardware, and the hub is now replaced by a switch, and how can i fix it?

LinuxRules
8th July, 2004, 09:15 PM
Before the change your firewall was configured to forward UT ports to your server and now there is a linksys router in the way. Make sure that you are not using the WAN port on the linksys or else it's going to block traffic from the firewall to the server.

beamwah
8th July, 2004, 10:16 PM
Got enough bridges there?

LittleHorn
8th July, 2004, 10:28 PM
ok now im confused!? can someone give me a guide to set this up. the 2nd firewall was never configured for UT at first but UT still worked.

the key thing here is connecting to the router using my external ip rather than my local 192.... ip where i can get into the routers settings. When i can get into the router with my internet (external) ip thats a good sign.....

in my router settings i had the firewall off and in the forwarding tab i had 7777 to 7777 for a UT server keeping the protocol as Both, and putting my last internal IP address numbers in, which mine is 100.

I also had port triggering with the trigger port range as 7777~7777 and the incoming port range as 8080~8081.

I also had the same internal ip in the DMZ host tab.

and basically it worked.

now with all of that it doesnt work. i have located the problem though but am unable to solve it. when i leave the dmz host tab disabled i can get to the router by doing http://inetip.... and also by http://192...

however i need dmz open for ut and when i enable i with my ip in there so its the same as i had it before i can ONLY connect to the router using http://192... and NOT the external inet ip meaning there is something in the way to get into the router. i dont understand why there would be a problem just by putting my dmz host ip in there, i am even in the dmz port in the router!! hmmm methinks it could be a problem with the setup of the 3 pieces of hardware

on the switch box it says computers > switch > whatever else > inet

and i have the switch as the last thing, so is that the problem or will a switch not block entry into the router?

sooo confusing!

2399Skillz
8th July, 2004, 11:36 PM
You do not need to run DMZ to host a Unreal Tournament server on a Linksys router, just forward the ports to your server's internal IP:

IN UDP 7777
IN UDP 7778
IN UDP 7779-7781
IN UDP 27900 - 28000

Also I am a little confused on how you have all the set up.

Why do you have it: PC > router > switch > internet ?
Of course I am not sure on how your stuff is set up, but it would make sense to have it: PC > switch > router > internet

Now, unless you are using a external modem for your internet, and it functions as a router. Of course, even then I'd still bypass the modem router and use the Linksys router, with the switch plugged into that.

I do know that a hub operates on a 2nd level, and the switch operates at a 3rd level. (Meaning the hub only looks at the headers of the packets, and sends them to everyone, where as the switch actually looks at the IP, and forwards them accordingly.)

LittleHorn
9th July, 2004, 11:08 AM
yea i know the setup is wrong i was just looking to find out if that would block the ports.... on the switch box it says the setup should be as you said - but my dad doesnt let me near it cause he is stubborn and ignorant, not like im just a child or nething but thats not the point. il let you know if what you said works, ty

LittleHorn
9th July, 2004, 11:45 AM
nope, didnt work

This is what it looks like in forwarding when i put in what you had said:

EXT Port:________|Protocol TCP_|_Protocol UDP|__IP Address__|___Enable
7777 TO 7777_____|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*
7778 TO 7778_____|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*
7779 TO 7781_____|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*
27900 TO 28000___|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*

and i also tryed triggering with this:

Trigger Port Range:____|__Incoming Port Range:
7777~7777___________|_____8080~8081
7778~7778___________|_____8080~8081
7779~7781___________|_____8080~8081
27900~28000_________|_____8080~8081

Whereas i had 192.168.1.102 in the dmz port (if i do this now i cant get into the router using the internet ip)

and i had this in forwarding:

7777 TO 7777_____|_____*_____|_____*______|_192.168.1.102|____*

and this in triggering:

and it worked fine. as you can see both TCP and UDP were ticked. My local ip has changed to 100 from 102 though as you can see. I found that if you put something like 192.168.1.152 in the DMZ section then i can still get into the router with my internet ip, but if i put 192.168.1.100 then it blocks entry that way and i have to use 192.168.1.1.... very confusing

any bright ideas?

LittleHorn
12th July, 2004, 12:29 AM
hmm got it sorted by changing the ip of the router, but theres another prob.

i need to disconnect and reconnect the wires in2 the router for my game to be visible to other people and i have to do this everytime i start the server or when the map changes. it seems that ut is changing something. any help?

Obsidian
13th July, 2004, 03:23 PM
Are you still using that triggering stuff?

LittleHorn
14th July, 2004, 05:00 PM
this is the setup

compuers >into> linksys router >into> firewall >into> DLink switch >into> internet

we changed the ip of the router which allows me to run the server. people from the internet can only connect to the server once however. if the map changes, or resets or they reconnect the server is blocked it seems.

i have to physically reconnect the connections for them to get back in. it doesnt always work.

i use the dmz port on the router and have port forwarding on as:

7777 TO 7777_____|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*
7778 TO 7778_____|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*
7779 TO 7781_____|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*
27900 TO 28000___|___________|_____*______|_192.168.1.100|____*

and triggering as
7778~7778___________|_____8080~8081
7779~7781___________|_____8080~8081
27900~28000_________|_____8080~8081

if i just use triggering with me in a normal port (not dmz), no one can connect.

so i have dmz and all of that on but still have the above problem.

can you help me?

Obsidian
15th July, 2004, 12:28 AM
Afaik the DMZ means that the router forwards all traffic to that ip, unless the configuration tells it to do something else. So you wouldn't have to map anything in the router when the server is in the DMZ.

Are firewall and router seperated?
If so then you should make the firewall forward the UT ports to the router so it can deal with it. Those are the game port, default 7777 and gameport+1 -> 7778 and if you want to use the masterbrowser or whatever the 27900 port.

What doesn't look right is the order of hardware. It should be modem <- firewall <- router <- switch <- clients

A lot of router/firewall combos don't have a loopback device configured, that means you can't connect to your external ip because it gets confused about what to do with the packets, maybe a DMZ configured machines bypasses that aswell so it results in the same behaviour. It's quite normal to connect to machines in your local network with their internal IP instead of the external.

It all kinda depends on what kind of firewall it is. If it's a linux machine you'll need to config a lot more then when it's a standard firewall thingy you buy in the pc store. All you have to do then is map the server ports to the server ip and of you go. You don't need a DMZ to run an UT server. You don't need triggers either, the server ports are mapped and the client ports should be opened dynamically.

^Budozero^
15th July, 2004, 08:33 AM
I use to work for Linksys support and if you are using DMZ (depending on the router model) you will most likely need either a firmware upgrade OR a firmware downgrade. Linksys are always breaking DMZ :p

Also, if I understand your configuration correct, the Linksys should be the last device before the internet. Have you tried without the firewall/switch in the setup?

LittleHorn
16th July, 2004, 05:23 PM
ok il have a look at those two suggesstions tonight, ty for all the help

also we had taken out the firewall before hand and it worked fine in that order. the thing is dad wants the firewall in place somewhere, and with all three it creates the problem where people can only connect once.

before we changed from a hub to a switch however, all three pieces of hardware worked fine and did not affect the server

Obsidian
16th July, 2004, 11:40 PM
You sure you are using the right cables to connect everything? Not every switch/router/firewall has autosensing if it is a crossed cable or not. When you connect network equipment it should be with a crosscable.

LittleHorn
21st July, 2004, 03:47 PM
The cables are all correct. I have updated the firmware and set as it worked before but there is now a problem with installing the router. i set it up with the firewall in place so it is internet >into> switch >into> firewall >into> router >into> pcs. It will set up correctly with the firewall in place.

We recieve the internet on three computers here and so in order for my server to work i would need to isolate the firewall so that it is on the other machine (my fathers). Once doing so, we connected it as best we could (ie how we think it should be connected). It worked the first time with the firewall out of place but then dad wanted to see if it would work with the firewall infront of my machine also. It stopped the server from appearing on the main server list. We decided to put it back the way it worked.

However, we now have a problem installing the router and configuring it so that it is the way it was before, such that the internet goes through the switch then the router then to my machine, with my dads machine recieving the net through the switch, then the router then the firewall then his pc. (the firewall is only connected to his pc, not mine). It worked before but now something is wrong with it.

Can someone help to describe how they should be linked up in detail so that i can make sure that we have it correct.

thank you

ravenx2c
21st July, 2004, 04:31 PM
You should run the Server on the outside of the Firewall and let the NAT do the filtering. I have the Server>Router>Cable Modem> and it works fine even when I port a Switch into the router with the DHCP enabled it just assigns the IP dynamically and I have run Servers that way also.