PDA

View Full Version : confused on Stats.....

{ROW}Mase
21st September, 2004, 10:54 AM
Hello, thanks for the Converter Script but I need more info.

Questions regarding the log converter script:

What type of file is it?
How do I run it from my Windows XP Pro Client?

I have set up the database and UT server info to log the user info. I have data in my log now and need to run the converter but I am not sure how. Any help is appreciated.

I run a Linux server hosted by OSG

Here is my site...I think I did it right..

http://www.sportfishsandiego.net/utstats/?p=recent

heres my log file..how do I import it to the database?

http://www.mplagstrom.com/UTStats.zip

Thanks, Mase

Azazel
21st September, 2004, 01:18 PM
You needed to check the bugs/fixes thread.

The procedure (as in the readme is as follows):

1) UTStats records events to a log file on your UT Server
2) You have to convert that log file from UTs format to normal text
In the bugs thread the convert.bat file has an error in it.
Its trying to convert *.sql instead of *.log
The fix is to open the batch file in notepad and amend *.sql to *.log
3) To convert move all log files named *.log (not *.tmp) out of the UT logs folder and another folder which containts convert.bat
4) run convert.bat
5) Import the converted log files into mysql

PizzaMan
21st September, 2004, 02:53 PM
Ok, imported the structure and set up the site http://www.uksnipers.com/UTstats/

And here is where I run out of brain power:

5) Import the converted log files into mysql

How? I cant run a script on the server, so I convert the logs manually. Then what? Do I put them in a folder on the web site? Or do I have to import them manually from the mysql control panel?
:redface:

grep
21st September, 2004, 03:55 PM
How? I cant run a script on the server, so I convert the logs manually. Then what? Do I put them in a folder on the web site? Or do I have to import them manually from the mysql control panel?
:redface:

I asked the same question in the "release" thread. Azazel's answer:

mysql database < file.sql

where 'database' is the name of your database.
works for me.

PizzaMan
21st September, 2004, 04:21 PM
Wot? I am not into databases. Is that a command syntax? Sorry if I am asking idiot questions, but I dont get it.

Rush
21st September, 2004, 04:32 PM
If you use linux try my script which is in this thread: http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8078 .

PizzaMan
21st September, 2004, 04:53 PM
No, the server is linux, but I have to download the logs to my windows comp. So what Im asking is, how do the logs get from here (after conversion) to the database?

I have no clue how db works.

Rush
21st September, 2004, 05:10 PM
Try this program: ftp://ftp.home.pl/pub/windows/mysql/mysqlfront-2.4-setup.exe , connect to the database and just export the sql data. Remember of correct database settings to allow your ip to get there.

PS. Haven't installed this program. :P

PizzaMan
21st September, 2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks, tried it now but cant get it to work. It just says "cant connect to blabla". Double checked the settings, they are ok (cept I dont know about the port - it says 3306). Ill try it from the office tomorrow.

Any chance of someone making a little windows tool that does the same job as that linux script?

Azazel
21st September, 2004, 06:12 PM
Is your setup something like this PizzaMan ...

UT Server (location a)
You take logs to your machine (location b)
You upload fixed logs to web server (location c)

So by that I mean everything is in seperate locations?
If so, what kind of access do you have to your web server? Web control panel ... ssh ... ?
If ssh the command line in ssh is "mysql dbase_name < file_to_import"
If web control panel I have no idea, unless its phpmyadmin which means manually importing each log 1 by 1

PizzaMan
21st September, 2004, 08:41 PM
Is your setup something like this PizzaMan ...

UT Server (location a)
You take logs to your machine (location b)
You upload fixed logs to web server (location c)

So by that I mean everything is in seperate locations?
If so, what kind of access do you have to your web server? Web control panel ... ssh ... ?
If ssh the command line in ssh is "mysql dbase_name < file_to_import"
If web control panel I have no idea, unless its phpmyadmin which means manually importing each log 1 by 1

That is my setup, yes. And yes, I use phpMyAdmin. Obviously importing logs one at a time would be way too much work. But Im just guessing here; If Rush' linux script is able to convert and send the logs to mysql, would it not be possible to do the same thing using a Windows application running at location B in your example? I would think that there are lots of other people with a similar setup.

Maybe Apollo's solution http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8098 would be the way to go for me :confused:

Azazel
21st September, 2004, 10:24 PM
If you want Apollos type of solution you either need:

a) apollos stats
b) wait for us to centralise utstats

For people who have to manually do logs via phpmyadmin its very fustrating.
Unless the people who run your hosting allow you to talk directly to your mysql database (most lock it down to localhost only) then you cannot do it from windows.

Azazel
21st September, 2004, 10:24 PM
Unless you have ssh access that is, then its likely you can do it

{ROW}Mase
21st September, 2004, 10:30 PM
Let me get this straight....

the server creates logs for each map played? or is one big log?

Azazel
21st September, 2004, 10:35 PM
Every game played

Azazel
21st September, 2004, 10:35 PM
After conversion you can make them all into 1 big log file by doing:

type *.log > all.log

{ROW}Mase
21st September, 2004, 11:42 PM
I have 4 servers....

how can I do it for all of them?>

{ROW}Mase
22nd September, 2004, 03:23 AM
After conversion you can make them all into 1 big log file by doing:

type *.log > all.log

huh?

{ROW}flatulator
22nd September, 2004, 09:40 AM
No, the server is linux, but I have to download the logs to my windows comp. So what Im asking is, how do the logs get from here (after conversion) to the database?

I have no clue how db works.

Use phpMyAdmin and imported the converted log into the database I created during the front end install.

flat

Azazel
22nd September, 2004, 12:13 PM
huh?
You have played 10 games, you have 10 log files, you convert them to a proper format and still are left with 10 log files.
From dos if you do "type *.log > all.log" it will make 1 big file of all 10 logs (means you don't have to upload 10 logs to phpmyadmin, just 1)

I would say though wait for the next release which should be this weekend which will significantly decrease the log size.
Due to an oversight by me logs are 800% larger than they should be :/

Rush
22nd September, 2004, 12:37 PM
Due to an oversight by me logs are 800% larger than they should be :/

So that's why my CPU usage is so high sometimes when updating the database ... it does it normally in a second but from time to time it works so heavily that the map on the server doesn't want to change for half a minute. I had my updating script in cron.minutely but moved it today to cron.daily, hope the next version will fix this problem.

Azazel
22nd September, 2004, 12:45 PM
Probably rush, blame Truff :P she only sent me insta logs which have no item pickups.
Currently anything with items is recording every item pickup (health, vial, weapon ammo etc)

grep
22nd September, 2004, 02:57 PM
You have played 10 games, you have 10 log files, you convert them to a proper format and still are left with 10 log files.
From dos if you do "type *.log > all.log" it will make 1 big file of all 10 logs (means you don't have to upload 10 logs to phpmyadmin, just 1)

Actually, that commandline is wrong :P
Because all.log also qualifies for *.log, it is included into itself (therefore creating duplicate entries in all.log).
Better to send the output to a different name than .log, eg.

type *.log > alllogs