The Unreal Admins Page - Forums

The Unreal Admins Page - Forums (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/index.php)
-   Support (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   What version of Linux are you using ? (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7391)

Azura 7th August, 2004 10:03 PM

What version of Linux are you using ?

Here's a thread to help ProfQ when he comes back from his holiday. What version of Linux are you using and does QV work or not ?

- FreeBSD, no problems encountered so far except one player who had a crashing UT and fixed it by clearning cache and manual install.

Chicken 8th August, 2004 01:41 PM

We are using Linux Freebsd Version 4.8 Release
We have a problem with QValidate111.so not being bound.

The server fires up fine but when peeps join it crashed, the server looks like its laggin out but real it has crashed.

AnthraX 8th August, 2004 05:47 PM

Debian linux, kernel 2.6.5, no serverside problems at all, only some client-side probs (hooks detected while they're not there)

Azura 8th August, 2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthraX
(hooks detected while they're not there)

Yep, this is caused by QV detecting demo manager's dll as a hook. So far noone has posted that they're running QV succesfully on the more popular Linux distributions such as RedHat, Mandrake and Suse. It would be nice if someone could signal if it works on these OSs or not.

AnthraX 8th August, 2004 07:04 PM

mandrake and suse are more like desktop-distros, I don't think that any game provider uses them. Redhat isn't very popular anymore either. Most gameproviders run debian/slackware/freebsd

Azura 8th August, 2004 07:36 PM

That may be the case for GSPs but some people actually a dedicated line and install their own box for running multiple servers (1u server racks for example). Debian & BSD aren't exactly user-friendly and have limited hardware support so I imagine the choice would more easily go to these distros.

Rush 8th August, 2004 10:59 PM

I have the same problerm as Chicken ... 2.6.5 + Slack 9.1 + UT436

PizzaMan 9th August, 2004 09:37 AM

Cant get it working, clients crash.

Dont know what version of Linux I have, server is hosted by Monsterserver.de and all they say is that they have an "optimized kernel".

UT 436.

Logs dont say much, but appears to be cut short, allthough server doesnt seem to crash.

I do have another server and will try there.

DeadMeat 9th August, 2004 04:30 PM

PizzaMan, if you have telnet or ssh access to the server, you can enter the command uname -r to get the Kernal release numbers (e.g. 2.4.xxx or 2.6.xxx). If you don't have that level of access, try asking your GSP for this info, handing this out isn't a security problem, etc.

GL HF
|LCN|DeadMeat
--
Why do the low scorers on the winning team always have the biggest mouths?

PizzaMan 10th August, 2004 11:59 AM

I only have FTP access...

I just received a message saying they use Fedora Core1 with an UT optimized 2.6 Kernel. What ever that means.

Obsidian 18th August, 2004 12:45 AM

Gentoo 2.6.5 seems to work for the server bit.
Gentoo 2.6.8 doesn't work for the client bit, but think that's more because there is no linux client support. ;)