View Single Post
Unread 20th November, 2006, 05:05 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default DONT allow RypelCam files on servers

I got informed that RypelCam can be used as a cheat in online play on servers without AntiTCC and Safegame, so i now decided to take down the mirrors till i found a solution for the problem. It is very, VERY strange that this could happen. You can believe me that RypelCam was not intended to be a cheat at all. It wasent designed as a online cheat, neither was it tested as such. Though it works. Thast shocking. I dont know enough about the UT Engine to explain you why all this is possible. I thought UT had a build in cheatprotection and i thought the stuff you could do in demos could never work in online play. I was wrong. But luckily AntiTCC and Safegame detect it when they make a filecheck when you connect. I recommend every serveradmin to not deactivate the filecheck and DONT allow any RypelCam files on your servers.

If anyone thinks i might have done RypelCam as a cheat on purpose: pls let some anticheat guy have a look at the RypelCam code. It is totally decompilable. Everyone that knows at least something about UnrealScript should see that the wallhack in RypelCam is done in the simplest way possible and was not inteded to be a online cheat. It was also not hidden to anticheat checks at all. I also stoped playing UT some years ago. The only relations i still have to UT are because of the movie comm.

The only explanation i can think of atm is that Epic might not have considered the possibility of activating something cheatlike in demoplayback. Thats the only explanation i have why it could slip through their built in cheatprotection. Just never play on a server without the Savegame and/or AntiTCC filecheck if you want to have a clean game.

I apologize for everyone who might got cheated cause of RypelCam but you have to be aware that a server without user made cheatprotection is never secure. This story is a good example for that.

ATM everyone should restart UT after watching a demo to be sure that everything containing to RypelCam got erwased from memory.