View Single Post
Unread 15th July, 2007, 04:18 PM
Dominating

Exclamation AutoTeamBalance mutator for even games

UT is a fine game, but it can be tough when players of different skill are playing on the same server. You can get some unbalanced games that end 7-0. So, inspired by a mod originally used on the XOL DOG server, I have written this AutoTeamBalance mutator, which should work on any UT99 server.

It keeps a record of the skills of players on your server, and uses the information to balance the teams at the beginning of each game. In theory this should make games closer and fairer, or at the very least, better than random teams.

It has a few other features too, including mid-game teambalance, warning players if the teams become unbalanced, fakenicker detection, and more which can be found in the README, or by typing "mutate help" in the console.

Please give me feedback about what needs improving in this thread, and I will try to help. Many of the features are configurable. Turn them on to try them out, and back off if they cause any trouble.

I hope this will make for some more exciting games on public servers, and less l33t players bashing noobs.

You can install it as a ServerActor, or as a Mutator, whichever you prefer.
Thanks go to XOL's Sourceror, iDeFiX, Rork, _tAiger, admin_this, Shiva, and others who helped with the coding and testing of this mod.

Updates: To upgrade, just replace AutoTeamBalance.u with the new version. But also read the changes for that release.
  • 2007/10/22: Release 1.3 - see changes later in this thread.
  • 2007/09/20: Release 1.2 - see changes later in this thread.
  • 2007/07/15: Added an example AutoTeamBalance.ini to the zip, and expanded the README.
  • 2007/07/30: Fixed a nasty bug that flag-carriers were not dropping the flag when they switched teams with !red or !blue or semi-admin ForceFullRebalance. Kick and kickban commands now work as intended for semi-admins.
  • 2007/08/01: Now offers 4 different scoring methods, including average_of_frags_and_score (new default), and score_related_to_scoreboard_position. These deal better with over-large Assault and CTF bonuses. (The best defenders don't let enemies grab the flag, the best coverers don't let enemies near their FC. )
  • 2007/08/01: Tracked down and fixed an error in the maths (oops!) which had been producing scores for short games which were larger than they should be. (Some players who played short high-scoring joust games got inaccurately huge strengths!)
  • 2007/09/08: Added bForceEvenTeams. Added bSeparateStatsByGamemode. Added extra notification that a player has been moved to the other team.
  • 2007/09/20: Added bRelativeNormalisation, bFlashOnWarning, bShakeOnWarning, bBuzzOnWarning, "!vote" and "!teams". See AutoTeamBalance-1.2 post below.

Last edited by nogginBasher : 17th February, 2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: language, updated a dead link