You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Windows Specific

Unread 3rd January, 2016, 11:43 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default Sending .dll to connecting client/player

I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right question; a lot of the nitty-gritty details of administrating a UT server are just starting to make sense to me.

Anyway. On some servers, particularly ones that use ACE/NPLoader, I distinctly remember being prompted to download a .dll file when it is not found on my '/System' directory. How else do all these .dll files end up in the system folder when you connect to some place like Siege?

What I want to know is: Is this a feature of ACE, or something like Nexgen that manages connections and sends missing files if the player needs them in order to connect to your server?

I ask because a server I am trying to get up and running uses one component, that requires a .dll file. Naturally, when the client - who doesn't have all the files on my server - tries to connect, they get the following error:

Code:
Critical Error: Can't bind to native class RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Component
Followed by a stack trace/history. I didn't anticipate this being an issue, but apparently it is, and so I might have to rethink what I host on the server if I can't find a work-around for this.
Unread 4th January, 2016, 07:52 AM
Dominating

Someone like Wormbo or UTrustedPlayer might be able to point you in the right direction here - otherwise you might try asking Higor over at ut99.org since he's knee-deep in native code these days.
Unread 4th January, 2016, 08:15 AM
Godlike

If you look at the source code for ACE you'll see how it can be done. I'm not sure of the legalities for placing dll files on clients without an acceptance click, and I also wonder if the client's antivirus might then flag the game too. You are much better off installing your files via a shared download link on the clients.

That being said I've experimented with a bunch of different ways to send files via a redirect from inside UScript code. It's not very efficient (the netcode is 20 years old ) but you can do a lot of things that aren't widely discussed. The possibilities for mischief though are very high and only a very small group of people (Wormbo, Higor, Shadow) would ever have good reason to send you DLL files.
Unread 4th January, 2016, 09:53 AM
Godlike

Quote:
Critical Error: Can't bind to native class RMusicPlayer.RMusic_Component
This look like an error. & I guess if it didn't install correctly it would spit out some error. I did saw someone sharing out a set of ACE client files so you can just connect with np.. hmm.

irc.globalgamers.net #uscript
http://irc.lc/globalgamers/uscript
Unread 4th January, 2016, 09:53 PM
out of order

I can't help you with that other than pointing out that pushing arbitrary executable binaries might not be quite a good idea if the client doesn't have a chance to agree before it happens.