You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 14th June, 2020, 09:12 AM
Godlike

Default Epic's utmasterserver not running?

This kind of thing has happened before. Maybe I'm the only one who cares anymore about a 21 year old game.(?)

Nah - that can't be it. My ut99 server gets new players all the time. Well, not tonight anyway.

What happened?:
Logs show that my UT99 server sees no problem registering at unreal.epicgames.com. That url is registered in DNS and resolves to: 199.255.40.174

So far so good. Except that the server receives back a "ICMP Port unreachable" response for each packet sent to port 27900. (Apparently the gameserver doesn't care about responses to it's beacons)

My audit logs show this ICMP response first began on June 11, at 06:24:25pm and continues at this time.

I've not played UT in a week, but tonight the ingame browser resolves utmaster.epicgames.com to the same ip, 199.255.40.174, however there is no response to queries - and the requests time out. The in-game browser displays the error: "Master Server Failed: Timeout talking to the master server"
So, this is not quite the same old problem of forgetting to re-register those domains.

Epic's Update Server continues to respond to requests for utmotd436.html, utmasterserver.txt, and utircserver.txt.

Unfortunately, Epic's utmasterserver.txt file still lists master0.gamespy.com as a fallback factory. This should not prevent Epic's from continuing to work. However, it does imply some neglect as Gamespy shut down May 2014.

If this continues for a few more days, I'll try reporting the issue to Epic directly as before. However, folks there often watch for posts here. (or they used to...)

Last edited by 50BMG : 14th June, 2020 at 09:15 AM.
Unread 15th June, 2020, 04:37 PM
Forum Newcomer

Any news yet? can't find anything on the epicgames forums about this
Unread 15th June, 2020, 05:20 PM
Holy Shit!!

This is for the players!

Open your games configuration file, usually gamename.ini (unrealtournament.ini), find the sections below and edit them as described:

Code:
[UBrowserAll]
ListFactories[0]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[1]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=master.noccer.de,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
ListFactories[2]=UBrowser.UBrowserGSpyFact,MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com,MasterServerTCPPort=28900,Region=0,GameName=ut
bFallbackFactories=False
This is also very important to make sure that the updateserver does not mix up your settings.

Code:
[UBrowser.UBrowserMainClientWindow]
bKeepMasterServer=True
Save your config and browse through the game as fast as light can't get []

This is for servers!

Stop your server and open the server's configuration file, usually gamename.ini (unrealtournament.ini)

Go to

[Engine.GameEngine]

and delete these lines:

Code:
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.mplayer.com MasterServerPort=27900
replace them with

Code:
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.noccer.de MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com MasterServerPort=27900
Now your server is ready for 333networks. It will uplink to epicgames, 333networks and noccer.de

LINUX users please note: The maximum numbers for uplinks is actually 3 (in some cases it is 4). Do NOT exceed the limit or your server will immediately crash.

More information can be found here:

http://333networks.com

http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/3...forum-f87.html[/quote]

Unread 15th June, 2020, 09:16 PM
Godlike

@medor - Thank you, but I already fixed my problems by another means. I was attempting to see if anyone had any idea about helping Epic's with theirs, or discovering if they have just ditched us ut99 'ers.

@soulreaver - yeah, that's pretty typical of Epic. They don't seem to have any QC checks in place that would tell them their entire means of gaming is offline. In 2010 it was hard for me to believe that I actually had to figure out for them why it wasn't working. I mean - I got a nice gift out of it and all, but really?

The guys at 333networks.com have done a great job re-inventing a Master Server, but I was surprised to see they haven't put up an Update Server of their own?
This is the "Simpler" method I alluded to above - it requires only the addition of a new ini section with hardly any complexity. I looked on their website to see where to send them a note, but it wasn't clear. The Update Server method has the advantage that it maintains a list of Master Servers each time a UT Client looks, so it can be maintained / altered as things evolve once for everyone in the UT community.
Epic did it for years, and it's how the NEWS page and irc chat info are current too. (though Epic's isn't) 2399Skills and I spent a bit of time paving this road in case it came up again, but I see UT-Files.com is offline too.

If someone could point me to whom I could contact at 333' I'll show them what's required, assuming they don't already know and have ruled it out for some reason. (?)

I'm still hopeful Epic will wake up, but if they don't at least they could add "gonespy.com" to their own Update Server's Master Server list and remove "GameSpy" which died in 2014. (-Talk about neglect)

I sometimes wonder if anyone on Epic's I.T. side has any idea how this stuff works. (or cares if it does)

I am so despondent to be here AGAIN dealing with the same problem.

If I don't hear back, I'll just post the INI change to let peeps use my Update Server till word gets around.

Update: Here's the 2010 thread in case you are looking for amusement. Links to the support thread on Epic's boards are now broken.

Last edited by 50BMG : 16th June, 2020 at 01:27 AM.
Unread 18th June, 2020, 03:58 AM
Godlike

Default Epic's Master Servers restored today...

It appears that Epic's Master Servers stopped rejecting incoming server Beacons after 11:28:56 EDT today. In-game browsers now find these Master Servers and again see over 600 UT Gameservers.

Thank you Epic!

On the chance that someone at Epic is reading this, would it be too much to ask that Gamespy.com be removed from your Update Server's utmasterserver.txt list?

We'd like to suggest that it be replaced by gonespy.com - a member of 333networks.com's effort at providing an "Open" community backup Master Server.

Thank You.

Last edited by 50BMG : 18th June, 2020 at 04:02 AM.
Unread 27th August, 2020, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

ut-files.com is just broken. The forums still work though.

Haven't had time to fix it. Well, other than the lack of php knowledge that is.

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 9th September, 2020, 04:06 AM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2399Skillz View Post
ut-files.com is just broken. The forums still work though.

Haven't had time to fix it. Well, other than the lack of php knowledge that is.
Hey, dog, long time no see.

Hope all is well.

I just put an oldtimey UT 99 GMC server online for the hell of it
Unread 3rd October, 2020, 09:11 PM
Godlike

Default Guess what?

Well, there's good news and bad... which do we want first?
  • TheGOOD: Someone at EPIC has been paying attention. Maybe not to us, but at least to the community - because they have finally revised the Update Server's Master List to not only remove Gamespy but to include two 333networks-associated master servers. Bravo EPIC!
  • TheBAD: EPIC's master server is once again down. I first noticed this several days ago, and rolling my eyes made a note to post here. Having other fish to fry, that took until today.
If it's important, I'll try to research and post when this newest outage grew back. There have been many service interruptions lately - i.e. to major services providers (including MicroSoft Azure, Google, etc...) so it may be that EPIC is one of these, or that there is some connection to the legal dispute EPIC is having with APPLE.

Last edited by 50BMG : 3rd October, 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Unread 8th October, 2020, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagalak View Post
Hey, dog, long time no see.

Hope all is well.

I just put an oldtimey UT 99 GMC server online for the hell of it
Hey man! I'm hanging in there.

Finally managed to fix the ut-files.com site so she's back in working order. At least, until I upgrade something else that breaks the site.

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 9th October, 2020, 05:39 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2399Skillz View Post
Hey man! I'm hanging in there.

Finally managed to fix the ut-files.com site so she's back in working order. At least, until I upgrade something else that breaks the site.
Nothing breaks software more reliably than an upgrade.

I noticed yesterday that EPIC's master server was no longer rejecting beacons, and the in-game browser was again obtaining lists from EPIC.

- Don't know what the problem was or what caused it, but it's over.

Thanks EPIC!
Unread 14th October, 2020, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG View Post
Nothing breaks software more reliably than an upgrade.
That is the #1 reason why I have blocked Microsofts update servers on my routers firewall. Preventing those idiots from FORCING updates on my Windows 10 computers and breaking everything on them (most notably their GPU drivers) and causing me hours upon hours of fixing all of them so my software will utilize them again.

NOT ANYMORE MICROSOFT! NOT ANYMORE!

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files