You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Unread 20th November, 2006, 05:05 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default DONT allow RypelCam files on servers

I got informed that RypelCam can be used as a cheat in online play on servers without AntiTCC and Safegame, so i now decided to take down the mirrors till i found a solution for the problem. It is very, VERY strange that this could happen. You can believe me that RypelCam was not intended to be a cheat at all. It wasent designed as a online cheat, neither was it tested as such. Though it works. Thast shocking. I dont know enough about the UT Engine to explain you why all this is possible. I thought UT had a build in cheatprotection and i thought the stuff you could do in demos could never work in online play. I was wrong. But luckily AntiTCC and Safegame detect it when they make a filecheck when you connect. I recommend every serveradmin to not deactivate the filecheck and DONT allow any RypelCam files on your servers.

If anyone thinks i might have done RypelCam as a cheat on purpose: pls let some anticheat guy have a look at the RypelCam code. It is totally decompilable. Everyone that knows at least something about UnrealScript should see that the wallhack in RypelCam is done in the simplest way possible and was not inteded to be a online cheat. It was also not hidden to anticheat checks at all. I also stoped playing UT some years ago. The only relations i still have to UT are because of the movie comm.

The only explanation i can think of atm is that Epic might not have considered the possibility of activating something cheatlike in demoplayback. Thats the only explanation i have why it could slip through their built in cheatprotection. Just never play on a server without the Savegame and/or AntiTCC filecheck if you want to have a clean game.

I apologize for everyone who might got cheated cause of RypelCam but you have to be aware that a server without user made cheatprotection is never secure. This story is a good example for that.

ATM everyone should restart UT after watching a demo to be sure that everything containing to RypelCam got erwased from memory.
Unread 20th November, 2006, 05:30 PM
Rampage

Danm..... that realy sucks, i realy enjoyed rypel for demoplayback. Is is possible to patch rypel so it cant be used as a cheat?
Unread 7th December, 2006, 10:03 AM
Killing Spree

yeah its a real shame, i have to say that its a great tool for making movies and the support I got from you and others when i ran into difficulty was also great, thank you

If anyone has suggested to u that you made such a tool for cheating purposes then I have to say that they are 100% talking out of their ass

Will you be looking into making such a tool for UT2007, hopefully u will
Unread 7th December, 2006, 07:35 PM
Holy Shit!!

do we need to manually add rypel files to a file blacklist now? what's the deal?
Unread 8th December, 2006, 09:13 AM
out of order

No, just make sure you don't have it on your server. That should be enough tho detect its usage. Adding it to the blacklist will cause lots of false positives.
Remember: There are valid reasons to have it installed, it's just not allowed to use it while connected to a server.
Unread 4th January, 2007, 11:31 AM
Holy Shit!!

Isn't there a way to code a mod such that it doesn't work online ? This would be a very useful if someone decides to heavily modify the game for movie making purposes.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 5th January, 2007, 01:37 AM
Godlike

On my server one person got kicked for having RypelCam in use...
And AntiTCC did kicked the person
Unread 11th February, 2007, 03:48 PM
Unstoppable

i have a problem with it. i installed latest version of rypelcam , it works very good , nice tool for movies. its not getting detected untill i watch demos, then enter a server , which is for good that to make sure people dont have it actively working while playing.
my problem is, i set up AntiTCC to do all necessary checks, but it doesnt detect Cam , while SG detects it. is there a spcific config to make sure AntiTCC detects it?
Unread 11th February, 2007, 04:58 PM
Godlike

Should just be DisallowedFile=Cam.u in your blacklist.

Wormbo advised above;
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...90&postcount=5
Unread 22nd February, 2007, 11:28 AM
Dominating

the file alone should be harmless unless a user modifies a class to load rypel (such as serverinfo, which tcc would detect anyway). i wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you have the latest tcc, putting cam.u in your blacklist will just cause false positives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_IMMortal View Post
i have a problem with it. i installed latest version of rypelcam , it works very good , nice tool for movies. its not getting detected untill i watch demos, then enter a server , which is for good that to make sure people dont have it actively working while playing.
my problem is, i set up AntiTCC to do all necessary checks, but it doesnt detect Cam , while SG detects it. is there a spcific config to make sure AntiTCC detects it?
making it detect cam.u while it isn't in use would just create false positives. tcc with all settings at default should be enough protection against someone who is trying to actually make use of it online. correct me if i'm wrong, wormbo.

Last edited by omghax : 22nd February, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Unread 22nd February, 2007, 11:37 AM
out of order

Make sure you don't have cam.u on your server and Anti TCC will detect it when it's loaded clientsidely. You only have to enable "Check client classes" for that, which is already enabled by default.