You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTPure > UTPure - Client Side Hack Protection > Server Admins Open Forum

Unread 14th March, 2003, 01:55 AM
Elvis

In this context, I didn't think the problem with routers that is described above applied to the smaller UTP packets used in UT for game playing.

Comment?
Unread 14th March, 2003, 03:47 AM
KillerJB

nope no comment. Just a suggestion thats all it was. Don't know anything about utp packets, their size and how the os/nic/router handle them.
Just know how much better my server and player experience was after taking these steps. Nobody needs to try if they don't want too. Just trying to be helpful.
Unread 14th March, 2003, 05:44 AM
Elvis

Thanks for the suggestion. If it works, that's all that matters.
Unread 26th March, 2003, 09:27 AM
iCe

hiya's.....

Is there a way in ut.ini file to stop high pingers from joining the server? and lagging out players....

Thanks in advance.....

iCe
Unread 26th March, 2003, 10:37 AM
[M@R§H]Vaudøux

TDS Auto Lag Kick, should be what you're looking for iCe
Unread 27th March, 2003, 09:26 AM
iCe

[quote]Originally posted by [M@R§H]Vaudøux

Thanks will give it a try......iCe
Unread 27th March, 2003, 07:58 PM
day_walker

Quote:
Originally posted by [M@R§H]Vaudøux
TDS Auto Lag Kick, should be what you're looking for iCe

Nice Program
Unread 23rd April, 2003, 04:26 PM
Flatliner

Anyone finding tsd autolagkickto be spamming the server logs and causing the server to crash sometimes. I put this mod on and it starts spamming the ucc log as an unreachable host. Also it may crash during certain maps that otherwise would not crash unless lag kick is on.
Unread 25th April, 2003, 02:49 PM
Elvis

What line is spammed into the server log?
Unread 25th April, 2003, 09:55 PM
Flatliner

It was failure to find host at ip such and such
Log: Received ICMP port unreachable from 192.168.1.100:2664. No matching connection found.
Log: Received ICMP port unreachable from 192.168.1.100:2664. No matching connection found.
Unread 6th May, 2003, 05:53 PM
$GB$Chicken

My server setup routine:

Replace the serverside textures with the real CD1 textures included with UT. This fixes the non-animated skins bug when you play with the CD2 compressed textures. And this combined with UTPure fixes serverside demos in every way.

After that I FXP maps,sounds,music and other textures from one of my other servers. This saves a lot of time becuase it's transferring from server to server, rather from my crappy cable to a server. (Obviously this is only of use if you have more than 1 server.)

The mods I used are UTPure, MODOSUtilsV23 (shows packetloss and average team pings in F1, and also efficiency or netspeed depending on how you sets it.) MapVote303 and WebChatLogger (allows me to lookup things that have happened on my server and ban the guilty parties )

Now you also want to pick a hard-to-guess admin login for your server, becuase whether you think so or not, people are trying to login to your server. I recommend choosing a password at least 5 charachters long...preferably alphanumerical

Now people will argue with me on this one, but basically every1 in the UT weapons community agrees on these settings that I've been using on my servers for years. Unless you cater to the 56kers I recommend upping the tickrate to 30 (no higher). You can tell the maxtickrate of a server by pressing F6 and looking at packets/sec IN.

admin set IpDrv.TcpNetDriver NetServerMaxTickRate 30
admin set IpDrv.TcpNetDriver KeepAliveTime 0
admin set IpDrv.TcpNetDriver MaxClientRate 10000

As for mini/pulse being stronger due to the higher tickrate. I've tested in my server setting the tickrate to 20, and you can still kill someone with pulse in about .2 seconds And with this new TickrateIndependentWeapons mod that is out, you can have a nice smooth server without worrying about pulse whores, although honestly I don't think the mod does much either.
Unread 24th June, 2003, 10:00 PM
Sert Turk

I have a question about PlayerJoinDump thing.I downloaded and installed it on my server.I add it in the mutator list but never able to find the log file.There was a mention about an ini. file but it wasnt included in the folder.Only u and int files were there.So where is the log file?Am I missing the ini file or I dont need that?
Unread 11th August, 2003, 07:09 AM
beamwah

Buzz, I personally wouldn't recommend placing any other applications on that server other than ut. UT app should be stand alone as its a pig and the best quality play will be dealt on a server which is stand alone with faster transfer rates not only on your isp side but on the data side of the server as well (SCSI/IDE). If your hosting a bigger server it needs to be stand alone & behind a router w/a firewall on a separate box or else you're subjecting yourself to too much crap out there. If you place a firewall on the same box as your ut server you'll have all kinds of lag & packet drops because FW's are always working & monitoring everything while your guests are trying to play & it affects play regardless of cpu utilization! A powerful network has all its powerful applications run on stand alone servers & the FW itself should be stand alone in the front of your network. Now certainly if your hosting a smaller server your not going to go through all this bs. It really depends on the capacity of the server you want to host.

Just an FYI: DMZ's were originally created as a head fake for would be hackers/crackers which I originally thought was a dumb idea. I'm rather shocked this term hasn't been retitled by now.. Goes to show the vulnerability of many networks out there.
Unread 15th January, 2004, 04:08 AM
Torinir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
Thank you for the post clan1234. I was hoping to get admins to add on with OS-specific information. I could have briefly touched on the subjects you did, but I don't know enough about NT4 to have given a useful discussion in detail as you did. What about running UT as a service under NT4? What about the amount of increased processor usage when you do packet filtering? What are the differences between using NT4 integrated packet filtering vs using ZoneAlarm, for example? Do you have any information you can share? How about Win2000? Any significant differences? How about WinXP?
Urgh...

UT can be ran as a service in any Windows server OS, which is what many server providers do to minimize server downtime in a crash.

Processor usage increases when running packet filtering won't be felt much if it's running on a half decent server, although PL and latency may increase, in some cases significantly.

Win2K and XP aren't much different from NT4 at the core, although I would NOT run a server on XP. It's strictly a client OS. Server 2003, on the other hand, would be OK. The service names and locations may differ a little, but not enough to impact setting up a UT server. I do want to note, though, that the requirements for Server 2003/XP are a lot higher than 2K or NT4. That can impact performance significantly if the server's a minimal one.
Unread 15th January, 2004, 04:13 AM
Torinir

Kill me now.

Note to Self: Check number of pages before hitting reply.
Unread 15th January, 2004, 02:46 PM
Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinir
Kill me now.

Note to Self: Check number of pages before hitting reply.
It's fine. You gave a good answer.