You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - General Chat

Unread 13th December, 2008, 08:29 PM
Godlike

Default S3TC texture fix that really works!

It works! It fixes the skating bot issue where they move without animation after you install the high res textures from CD#2. Here is a link to the files:

EDIT!!! I have updated the link below to show the latest greatest information and instructions towards using the latest and greatest versions of these S3TC textures. What I'm saying here is that you do not need to read beyond THIS FIRST POST unless you try this and it fails in any way. If that happens, please reply to this thread and tell me what went wrong. I last updated this first post on 12-13-08. Don't just download this, read the part under the link too.

http://hermskii.com/Files/S3TC-Texture-Fix-12-13-08.zip

This is a 1.9 GB file compressed down to a 1.27 GB ZIP. It includes a readme, all of the textures you'll need, the 436 patch, UT Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4. A modified OpenGldrv.dll, and the S3TC Texture fix executable. Just about everything you could need!

I have it from one person so far that they experienced the motion in the game speed up and slow down randomly. I feel this is due to having multi processors and/or having the power scheme for the PC set to anything else besides "Always on". I hear there is a patch for that multi processor problem but I don't have it so it is not included. That said, please report your findings here because I want to track any issue, resolve it, and offer the patch in the next instruction set. I'm trying to make this work for everybody and to date, it has except for about 3 people that I know of and none of them started with a clean install that I know of either. Follow the directions. No short cuts. If you doand you have a problem, there is a restore routine which will return you to your previous configuration as if you had never even tried this. That means you have no excuse not to try it. Have fun and make sure to tell us how well it works for you and make comments about any changes you would suggest. Thanks!

Please tell me how it works for you. Give me some feedback man!

Hermskii

Last edited by Hermskii : 11th May, 2009 at 04:40 AM.
Unread 13th December, 2008, 09:20 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermskii View Post
A modified OpenGldrv.dll
b4 i download it, is this modified driver whitelisted by AnthChecker? And does the textures require that particular driver in order to work?

Denne hjemmeside er en vittighed, humor er godt men dobbeltmoral er skidt
Unread 13th December, 2008, 11:15 PM
Godlike

Default Answer

That is a widely used driver by Chris Donel or something like that. It is totally good to go and will not get stopped by any cheat protection that I'm aware of.

I have never tried these S3TC textures with any other version of that OpenGL so I can't answer the question honestly but I would predict that "MOST" other OpenGL drivers will work.

There is a perfect back out built into the directions so honestly, you could check and see without any risks.

Hermskii
Unread 14th December, 2008, 07:18 AM
Holy Shit!!

roger that, I'll give it a go

Unread 17th December, 2008, 02:39 PM
Godlike

Default Well?

Well? Are you so awe-struck by the fantastic results that you simply can't put into words your total joy and satisfaction?

Hermskii
Unread 17th December, 2008, 07:02 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Well? Are you so awe-struck by the fantastic results that you simply can't put into words your total joy and satisfaction?
Something like that ..... I'm not sure what words to use, but I was extremely suprised to see how the Engine can perform when put to max, It's a s*** load of a big download, but it's worth the effort

Now I realy don't want to guess about the amount of time you must have invested in this project, but it's (sorry for my bad language but i can't think of another word that describes it half as good) a damn fine piece of art.

As for testing ... I found no bugs so far, my work-to-do is piling up these days but when i get more time i'll play some more with it. As a mapper & coder i can only envy your stamina, good work!

It makes me happy to see that people are still urging to make ut99 better, many people speak of it, but only very few does something about it, thank you for beeing among the few that does something about it!

Last edited by [DANISH]TheDane : 17th December, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
Unread 18th December, 2008, 12:20 AM
Forum Newcomer

I thought this issue was long solved already. If memory serves me correctly this was due to people installing the high res textures on the server.

http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Webs...rsPackages.htm

Seek The Way, Find The Way, Follow The Way
Green River
Old Unreal
Unread 18th December, 2008, 01:14 AM
Godlike

Default Interesting

Interesting. The problem was solved long ago but nobody knew how to install the S3TC textures with 100% success since initial instructions weren't completely correct but were spread out everywhere on the internet.

Even after running the texture fix executable which had to happen after the textures were installed, there were still skating bots even when you connected to servers that did not have these S3TC textures installed. It turned out to be an issue with the S3TC fix and certain skin textures as near as I recall.

In the end, most people tried to use the S3TC textures and failed so badly they ended up reinstalling and never trying again.

There is a bad line in the write up in the link you just provided. It says

"If you are a server admin than you can help your clients by switching out all Default Unreal Tournament textures for the textures offered here."

Maybe he meant for the client to do that which would be right but it sounds more like he's saying for all of the server admins to do it on the servers. NO! DON'T EVER put these textures on the server.

Hermskii

Last edited by Hermskii : 18th December, 2008 at 05:23 AM.
Unread 29th December, 2008, 07:30 PM
Unstoppable

could you please copy-paste the steps for installation here (and the patch prog. link somewhere).

I have all the textures and not in a mood for useless download.

thanks!

Last edited by sphx : 29th December, 2008 at 07:37 PM.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 04:02 AM
Killing Spree

Hi,

am I the only one with problems on this..?

Had lots of trouble getting all this to work. Did start from scratch both for a client and my server (which was a bit mixed from the start, so that was problably just a good thing).

The new high res texture did not work correctly for me, donnu what happend.

But found out by trying 1 and 1 new texture at the time (time consuming).

And found that DecayedS.utx is somehow messed up for me.

With.DecayedS.Original.S3TC.1.jpg

Wit.DecayedS.High.Res.1.jpg

UTX-Viewer.DecayedS.Original.S3TC.Text.58.7MB.JPG

UTX-Viewer.DecayedS.New.High.Res.124MB.JPG

And the list goes on and on:
Ancient.utx.BUGGY 24543 KB
Coret_FX.utx.MESSY 26009 KB
CTF.utx.MESSY 44655 KB
DDayFX.utx.MESSY 12372 KB
DecayedS.utx.BUGGY 127639 KB
GenEarth.utx.MESSY 105844 KB
GenIn.utx.MESSY 34880 KB
GenTerra.utx.MESSY 145677 KB
Indus3.utx.BUGGY 18271 KB
JWSky.utx.MESSY 17931 KB
Langs.utx.MESSY 27714 KB
Mine.utx.BUGGY 97592 KB
NaliCast.utx.MESSY 36501 KB
NaliFX.utx.MESSY 5948 KB
RainFX.utx.MESSY 35534 KB
ShaneChurch.utx.MESSY 39464 KB
ShaneSky.utx.MESSY 14118 KB
SkyBox.utx.MESSY 8973 KB
SkyCity.utx.MESSY 412844 KB
Skaarj.utx.BUGGY 96504 KB
SpaceFX.utx.MESSY 6048 KB
Starship.utx.MESSY 23460 KB
UTbase1.utx.MESSY 16734 KB
UTcrypt.utx.MESSY 21234 KB
UTtech1.utx.MESSY 138371 KB
XbpFX.utx.MESSY 34695 KB

I tried to patch each an one of those files that needed it, and tried to look at the textures with this program afterwards, that did not help (dont know exactly what the s3fix.exe program does to the texture files).

N.B! The buggy one crashed the program, messy just looked "messy".

If I am the only one with this Im stunned. Dont understand how that is possible. Been using the last 24 hours to narrow this thing down
Ive been doing the same thing from scratch too many times now.

Or maybe I have overlooked something..?

I've been reading this thread http://www.unrealtexture.com/General/Website/Forums/Forums01/ and tried some different things for my server.

The files for my original server came from this place: http://ut.abfackeln.com/asu.html?page=dedicated, and some of the textures there are "tiny"/smaller than the ones from UT.GOTY.CD1 Textures, and 1 solution was to copy those files over the one in ut99-dedicated-server/Textures, that did not help for me.

Only thing that worked was to NOT copy the buggy/messy to my client Texture folders but the rest that was "bugg" free. This was done over the original S3CT textures, and the patch was correctly applied after, and skins files copied back to textures folder. Then after this I did have sliding players on some maps on my server, what fixed this was copy the entire Textures folder for my client over to the server.

(Its not a public playable server, just private/passworded for local friends, and I have an "pre-made" ut99 folder with the right files that do work with my server).

sXe

Last edited by sxxxe83 : 30th December, 2008 at 09:33 AM.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 04:19 AM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphx View Post
could you please copy-paste the steps for installation here (and the patch prog. link somewhere).

I have all the textures and not in a mood for useless download.

thanks!
Look here:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/General....php?f=23&t=19

sXe
Unread 30th December, 2008, 07:59 AM
Holy Shit!!

I suppose I shall have to repeat this : DO NOT USE ST3C TEXTURES ON YOUR SERVER.

The server only needs the textures that come on the retail cd and that's it. S3TC textures are for clients only. In doing otherwise you risk causing the skating zombies problem for anyone visiting the server.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 08:00 AM
Godlike

Default Question

Hello folks, especially you being sxxxe83 and sphx. I have to admit that I think the confusion here may be because you may be trying to set this up using more than one set of instructions.

The download link I provided in the first post of this thread has explicit directions for using these textures and specifies in the directions in the readme to follow the directions exactly yet I see references pointing to other instruction sets that you have posted or linked to.

One of you mentioned not wanting a useless download. It is not useless and in fact has a fine record of success thus far provided you actually follow the directions provided in the download. Please clarify to me whether you are using the directions I provided here or are you using them form somewhere else. Thanks!

Hermskii
Unread 30th December, 2008, 08:29 AM
Killing Spree

Just when both of you posted here, I just tested with both renderers and I turned out to just be my card or something that didnt work too good with OpenGL i guess. (Bummer I didnt think about that earlier).

D3D9Drv renderer

OpenGL renderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
I suppose I shall have to repeat this : DO NOT USE ST3C TEXTURES ON YOUR SERVER.

The server only needs the textures that come on the retail cd and that's it. S3TC textures are for clients only. In doing otherwise you risk causing the skating zombies problem for anyone visiting the server.
You do not, I can read just fine myself And as I stated in the end of my previous post

#(Its not a public playable server, just private/passworded for local friends, and I have an "pre-made" ut99 folder with the right files that do work with my server).#

And with these S3CT textures on the server as it is, is in fact working just fine.. But now that I dont have graphical errors, Ill adjust the server installation back to normal, until everything is working.

I have read this a couple of houndred times the last 24 hours, but when something wont work, Ill have to try everything, was just a bit late with the renderer, since so much good was said about the OpenGL one.

#This is only for use with the specific OpenGL Renderer mentioned below though later versions of it will likely work.#

Quote:
Hello folks, especially you being sxxxe83 and sphx. I have to admit that I think the confusion here may be because you may be trying to set this up using more than one set of instructions.

The download link I provided in the first post of this thread has explicit directions for using these textures and specifies in the directions in the readme to follow the directions exactly yet I see references pointing to other instruction sets that you have posted or linked to.
What did you mean by "especially you being sxxxe83 and sphx."? That I have both these useraccounts here at unrealadmin?

http://www.unrealtexture.com/General/Website/Forums/Forums01/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
this one just contains useful information, its not a complete "instruction set" as the one you provided.

Quote:
One of you mentioned not wanting a useless download. It is not useless and in fact has a fine record of success thus far provided you actually follow the directions provided in the download. Please clarify to me whether you are using the directions I provided here or are you using them form somewhere else. Thanks!
Nope, tried yours several times, and other several times, and I can ensure you i did follow everything down to every letter of each word, but D3D9Drv was the right for me (dont think that was mentioned anywhere)

I understand very good how to follow directions, and I am very grateful people are still working on this good "old" game, but its frustrating when it aint working

Sorry I got all worked up, but then again when stuff aint working, you just get desperate. And english is not my "first" language so that may explain grammatic errors and "sentence building" that is not as good as you with english as first language.

sXe

Last edited by sxxxe83 : 30th December, 2008 at 09:32 AM.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 08:43 AM
Holy Shit!!

Heh, I'm not surprised you wanted to fix the problem. That looks just plain awful. Does this happen with all s3tc textures or just the one's Diehard made ?

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 08:52 AM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Heh, I'm not surprised you wanted to fix the problem. That looks just plain awful. Does this happen with all s3tc textures or just the one's Diehard made ?
All Original S3TC textures does give me any problems, but this is the list with all DieHards textures that does not work with my card and opengl:

Ancient.utx.BUGGY 24543 KB
Coret_FX.utx.MESSY 26009 KB
CTF.utx.MESSY 44655 KB
DDayFX.utx.MESSY 12372 KB
DecayedS.utx.BUGGY 127639 KB
GenEarth.utx.MESSY 105844 KB
GenIn.utx.MESSY 34880 KB
GenTerra.utx.MESSY 145677 KB
Indus3.utx.BUGGY 18271 KB
JWSky.utx.MESSY 17931 KB
Langs.utx.MESSY 27714 KB
Mine.utx.BUGGY 97592 KB
NaliCast.utx.MESSY 36501 KB
NaliFX.utx.MESSY 5948 KB
RainFX.utx.MESSY 35534 KB
ShaneChurch.utx.MESSY 39464 KB
ShaneSky.utx.MESSY 14118 KB
SkyBox.utx.MESSY 8973 KB
SkyCity.utx.MESSY 412844 KB
Skaarj.utx.BUGGY 96504 KB
SpaceFX.utx.MESSY 6048 KB
Starship.utx.MESSY 23460 KB
UTbase1.utx.MESSY 16734 KB
UTcrypt.utx.MESSY 21234 KB
UTtech1.utx.MESSY 138371 KB
XbpFX.utx.MESSY 34695 KB

But with D3D9Drv they are all good.. Just curious why these textures that does give my card and opengl problems, does not show up correctly with an UTX-Viewer... Has to be a reason...

sXe
Unread 30th December, 2008, 10:06 AM
Unstoppable

Quote:

m8 you didn't understand me, I already have the textures & I'm just interested in directions so I'm asking you if you could please just copy-paste the directions here so I can try it.

thanks.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 10:17 AM
Killing Spree

This is from the package http://hermskii.com/Files/S3TC-Texture-Fix-12-13-08.zip

READ ME S3TCTextureFix.txt
************************************************** *****Important************************************ ***********************

Print this out!!!

If this displays as super-long sentences, select "Format" from the File menu above and click on "Word Wrap".
Read this entire document first, (especially this top part marked Important).
Use this at your own risk but be confident that I have a easy work around in the event of failure!
This works best using a new installation of UT that has been patched up to UT patch version 436 and has UT Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4 installed. "DO NOT" install Bonus Pack 2.
This document explains how to "SUCCESSFULLY" use the S3TC High Resolution Textures that originally came on UT CD #2 but have been fixed, updated, reworked and improved by "DieHard".
These instructions are for "Player" installations "ONLY" and are "ABSOLUTELY NOT" for use on "Servers"!
This is only for use with the specific OpenGL Renderer mentioned below though later versions of it will likely work.
You must follow these directions "EXACTLY" or they won't work! Don't try to take any shortcuts!
Some Anti-Cheat programs may not allow you to connect to their server if you use S3TC textures though I have not ever experienced this with any of them!
Server Admins "ARE NOT" supposed to install the textures from here ever. If they did install these on the server you connect to, this won't work! It has been mentioned also that some people used the Dedicated Server Installation from EPIC which uses a whole different set of "lite" textures. I have not seen a problem yet but you may encounter issues when connected to these types of servers that were built using Epic's free Dedicated Server Installation package.

************************************************** *****Important************************************ ***********************

I have listed "2" versions of directions here. The version you will need to use will depend on your current UT installation status. Use the version that "BEST" matches your current UT installation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*****Version #1 Description***** is as follows:

You have an existing installation of UT and it has the UT 436 patch and UT Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4 installed already but you have not installed the S3TC (High Resolution) textures from this or any other instruction set and you want to use the S3TC (High Resolution) textures. If so, skip to the section marked " *****Version #1 Description*****:" and follow the directions.

*****Version #2 Description***** is as follows:

You have already installed UT with the UT 436 Patch and Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4 "AND" you "HAVE ALSO" already installed the S3TC (High Resolution) textures from UT CD #2 or from somewhere else and are now needing to fix the sliding player/bot issue (players look like they are sliding on ice, and not running at all) you see when you play online. Start with these steps first:

NOTE: If this Version #2 Desription doesn't work for you then you will most likely need to reinstall UT from the ground up then follow Version 1 because if it failed, the reason would likely be that you have corrupted files in your current UT installation.

1. Insert your UT CD #1 and select cancel if it tries to autolaunch or install.
2. Open UT CD #1 and copy the folder called "Textures" over your current copy of the Textures folder in your C:\UnrealTournament folder.
3. Now follow all of the directions for "*****Version #1 Description*****:" below.

Ready? Let's do this!!!
==================================
*****Version #1 Description*****:
==================================

1. Make sure that your UT installation is at least patched up to the UT 436 patch and has Bonus Packs 1, 3 and 4 installed. This is all included in the folder "UT Update" if you need it.

2. Make a copy of your UnrealTournament\Textures folder naming it "Textures Back-Up". Do not touch this back up copy again unless you need to restore your installation to your original configuration in the event this upgrade does not meet with your approval.

3. Next, install the textures from "Folder 1" in the zip file. Overwrite the ones you have in your C:\UnrealTournament\Textures folder with the ones in Folder 1.

4. Delete the following 5 files from your C:\UnrealTournament\Textures folder:

-Female1Skins.utx
-Female2Skins.utx
-Male1Skins.utx
-Male2Skins.utx
-Male3Skins.utx
-SkTrooperSkins.utx

(Don't worry! These files are in folder 2 and we will be reinstalling them in just a moment.)

5. Install the S3TCTextureFix patch (called s3fix.exe) from the zip. Place it in your C:\UnrealTournament\Textures folder. Double click it to execute it. *Wait* for it to finish and close itself.

6. Copy the contents of Folder 2 into your C:\UnrealTournament\Textures folder.

7. Configure UT to use the specific OpenGL renderer mentioned above as your renderer. If you currently use OpenGL, do these steps anyways to make sure this works for you.

8. Go to your UnrealTournament\System folder. Rename the file called OpenGLDrv.dll to OpenGLDrvOriginal.dll

9. Copy the OpenGLDrv.dll file that has been provided in this download to your UnrealTournament\System folder.

10. Start the game and from the UT Desktop select "Options" then "Preferences"

11. On the Video tab, select the Video Driver "Change" button. A “Change Video Driver” option window will open. Select “Yes”

12. The “Unreal Tournament Video Configuration” window will open. Note your what your current renderer is. Click the radius for “Show all devices”

13. Select “OpenGL Support” so that it is highlighted in blue.

14. Select “Next”. Select “Next” again. Select “Run" You are now using the OpenGL renderer but you still need to enable the S3TC functionality:

15. Start a practice session round of UT then press the tilde key (~) and then type PREFERENCES.

16. On the menu that opens select "Rendering" and then "OpenGL Support". Now find the line that says "USES3TC = False" and change it to "True" and then close everything.

17. Restart the game. Try out the new textures by connecting to a multiplayer game on line. If everyone is moving around properly then you are successful!

================================================== ========
TO RESTORE YOUR ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION IN CASE OF FAILURE:
================================================== ========
If you see what looks like frozen ice skating players moving around then this did not work for you. You need to go back to your original configuration by doing the following:

1. Copy the contents of your "Textures Back-Up" folder right into your current Textures folder.
2. Start the game and from the UT Desktop select "Options"
3. Select "Preferences"
4. On the Video tab, select the Video Driver "Change" button.
5. A “Change Video Driver” option window will open. Select “Yes”
6. The “Unreal Tournament Video Configuration” window will open.
7. Select “D3D” or whatever your original renderer was so that it is highlighted in blue.
8. Select “Next”
9. Select “Next” again.
10. Select “Run" and that will almost restore you back to your original configration. Exit the game.

Go back into your UnrealTournament\System folder and delete the file named OpenGLDrv.dll and then rename the file OpenGLDrvOriginal.dll back to OpenGLDrv.dll and you will be back to your original configuration once you reboot one last time.

================================================== ================================================== =======================

Hopefully, this worked for you and now you are enjoying Diehard's S3TC (High Resolution) textures with possibly a crisper, more colorful and higher frame-rate video display. You may also notice if you use Windows XP that now the music doesn't keep playing when you exit the game as it may have if you were using D3D as your renderer.

Please send questions or comments to me at:

[email address] or [email address]

or

visit my Forum at www.Hermskii.com/Forum and post your comment there.

****Credits:*****
All files belong to their respective creators. This compilation is only to make installation easier, and no ownership of the files is implied or intended. This zip file may NOT be posted on other websites. If you have found this compilation somewhere other than www.agutgopostal.com or www.Hermskii.com please notify Hermskii. PEACE!
Unread 30th December, 2008, 07:35 AM
Forum Newcomer

Hi all,

A while back Pitbull pointed me to this thread, but didnt have time to response backthan and after that i forgot about till i received a mail from sxxxe83

To set a few things straight

* Theres 2 different packages, the ones from the 2nd UT CD and the ones from the the URP (Unreal Retexturing Project) and UTRP (Unreal Tournament Retexturing Project) project.

The ones from the URP/UTRP project have:

- More than a gigabyte of updates and theres more to come.
- Fixed S3TC texture misalignments.
- Fixed Masking problem.
- People can choose different packages depending how powerfull their videocard is. (Low End and High End, Extreme End is comming up for SLI cards)
- Will pass any anti cheat know to this world

* The skating player glitch:

- The skating player glitch is caused when servers are loaded with S3TC textures.
- Therefore, S3TC textures should never be loaded on the server!
- The so called TextureFix wont work, since it doesnt handle the new released packages, and at best have clients fix a serversided problem !!!
- It is disadvised by me to use the TextureFix......

More info and all downloads for Windows, MAC and LINUX servers can be found on this page:

S3TC Servers Packages

* White static banding over S3TC textures.

- This ONLY occurs when the renderer (regardless OpenGL, D3D8, D3D9) fails to render the S3TC textures correctly. Causes are: Using an outdated renderer or the renderer isnt set to S3TC True.

How to install S3TC textures, including all the downloads for the renderers and S3TC textures can be found on this page:

S3TC Installation UT

And its obviously the error occurs in all the packages mentioned above, they after all, all contain several S3TC textures.

Additional notes:

The URP/UTRP packages only contain an S3TC Texture OR and pcx/bmp texture, they never contain both, unlike the 2nd CD packages that always contain both a high resolution AND low resolution texture.

Mapping with the URP/UTRP is disadvised by me officially, but i know theres people doing so. In any case if you do so, make sure to test your map with S3TC textures but also with normal textures, just to make sure nothing bad happened before release.

P.S. Its still at least a month away from release, but theres and update for DecayedS in the make, the final release for that package will be between 300 and 400 Mb.
Unread 30th December, 2008, 08:01 AM
Godlike

Quote:
I have it from one person so far that they experienced the motion in the game speed up and slow down randomly. I feel this is due to having multi processors and/or having the power scheme for the PC set to anything else besides "Always on". I hear there is a patch for that multi processor problem but I don't have so it is not included.
It's the Dual Core Fix. Get it Here.