You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT3 Server - Linux Specific

Unread 18th December, 2007, 05:29 PM
Killing Spree

Default Linux nub question

I have suse 10 enterprise server and suse 10.1 workstation... what is best for running game servers.

I would think enterprise server would be better, but then again, I'm a linux noobie so I don't know shat "yet"

And if you know of a site dedicated to setting up linux game servers, please let me know.

Thanks
Unread 18th December, 2007, 07:18 PM
Holy Shit!!

If I had the choice of any linux distro on a server I would go for slackware. It can be loaded with no gui tools, just command line, but that makes it light and fast. It does mean you will need to learn basic text editing in command line with Vim or Emacs though.

-= F R A G G A L O N I A... R E S U R R E C T I O N! O L D... S K O O L... S N I P E R =- unreal://82.40.94.2

Old skool sniping. Just you, your weapon, and gravity.
Unread 18th December, 2007, 07:49 PM
Killing Spree

One of my absolute favorites for any Server is Gentoo Linux, but be advised, that isn´t a Linux Distro for the faint-hearted. But you can configure anything with this Distribution, from USE flags for compiling the Programs up to the very basic CFLAGS for the specific architecture that your CPU represents. So all code on a Gentoo Linux install can be optimized to the most basic settings.

Gentoo has a few drawbacks. It is a selfcompiling distribution, so if you want to install some program, it will take quite a bit longer than you are used to in other Distributions. This is the price you have to pay for absolute tweaking though, as in Gentoo Linux the Programs are pulled in from the sources as Source Code and then they are compiled with the specific USE FLAGS and C-Compiler-Flags that you assigned.

But this wouldn´t be a very helpful distribution for some starter in the Linux business.

Slackware might be a better option or if you need good support via forums, you could also try out Ubuntu Linux (The Server Edition, which doesn´t have any Graphical User Interfaces and stuff like that implemented).
Unread 19th December, 2007, 04:25 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Ubuntu for sure

Ubuntu's "server" distro takes minutes to configure and works out of the box with tons of hardware. I highly recommend it. Gentoo is an excellent choice for people with lots of time and linux experience but ubuntu is the best for beginners and those who want a server up and running right away.

---Mike
Unread 19th December, 2007, 06:03 AM
Killing Spree

The better one would be the enterprise sever version, since it probably has all the extras already added to the install, such as apache and MySql, and probably is preconfigged better as a networking server. I am using Suse 10.3 with the server install option with good results to it. The better question would be which is the more powerful machine, ie: more memory, lan card, and cpu horsepower. Either one would do the job, but I would go with the enterprise install
Unread 19th December, 2007, 11:20 AM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by optarix12 View Post
Ubuntu's "server" distro takes minutes to configure and works out of the box with tons of hardware. I highly recommend it. Gentoo is an excellent choice for people with lots of time and linux experience but ubuntu is the best for beginners and those who want a server up and running right away.

---Mike
Exactly my thoughts. I would also recommend the Ubuntu "server" distribution for anyone who is starting up a linux Server for the first time. Support in the ubuntu forums is very very good, and you can be sure, there are hundreds of Tutorials and how-tos on almost any subject that could arise with the Ubuntu Distribution.
Unread 19th December, 2007, 04:55 PM
Killing Spree

Thanks all...

The box is a POS dell gx270 w/2.79 processor (new MB though) that was just lying around the office.

I'll go with the suse 10 enterprise server, I have experience with MS 2003 server and novell systems so porting over to linux shouldn't be all that life threatening...

I really appreciate the replies from all and an extra thank you to Art_illery for your time in explaining the setup, invaluable info for us linux noobs, I commend you.