You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > AnthraXs Corner > General Chat

Unread 5th June, 2012, 10:37 PM
Rampage

Default Resolving stutterissues in UT with high fps

I just bought a 120hz LED monitor, and I was under the impression that I would be running UT just fine at 120 fps. But apparently I was wrong. I get alot of stuttering, especially when pressing forward and strafe in one direction while moving the mouse in the other. Also when dodging off from heights and moving the mouse. This gets very frustrating because when my UT stutters, the crosshair will do the same and aiming gets tricky.

I was given ini's by someone who also has a 120hz and runs UT just fine at 120 fps. The same guy told me that I could try playing around with ACE's timing modes, which I did. But frankly, I don't see any difference no matter which timing setting I set it too.

So what I'm asking is basically if anyone has any ideas regarding this matter, and if ACE could do any miracles for my UT on this matter. It's a little annoying having a 120hz monitor and being unable to run 120 fps without a hitch.

For the record, I have tried both D3D9 and UTGLR 3.6, both had the stutter issue. D3D9 was worse, though.
Unread 5th June, 2012, 11:46 PM
Holy Shit!!

For adjust with 120hz LED monitor
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
MinDesiredFrameRate=120.000000

And set a limit fps in render sitting if the game if it run to fast:
[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]...[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=90 to 200

Unread 6th June, 2012, 12:03 AM
Dominating

try 90 fps @ 120 hz

My BunnyTrack maps
http://www.i4games.eu/maps/?author=18724
Unread 6th June, 2012, 12:33 AM
Godlike

I thought there was a hard cap of 100 frames?
Unread 6th June, 2012, 05:40 AM
Rampage

I've got all the MinDesiredFramerate settings and FramerateLimit, RefreshRate, and so on set to 120. I've also got the impression that there are some hardcap installed, but considering alot of people have been able to run UT at ridiculously high framerates without issues, I begin to wonder that there's something deeper to it.

I was told to try 90 fps, I haven't really done that yet. Reason being, it's a 120hz and all, and I've already played at 85 fps for years. It would kinda suck to play my UT's performance down since I have this shiny new 120hz, but then again, I really didn't buy this monitor to play UT.

If I set FrameRateLimit to 200, wouldn't that mean fps would be locked on to 200? There aren't any active servers in my area atm (7am!), so I can't test it straight away.
Unread 6th June, 2012, 12:43 PM
Holy Shit!!

First ned to test offline.

Quote:
If I set FrameRateLimit to 200, wouldn't that mean fps would be locked on to 200?
It is a high ceiling in case the game is racing speed.

Quote:
I thought there was a hard cap of 100 frames?
If you whant to try byself http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/u...ed.Version.zip

Unread 6th June, 2012, 04:53 PM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knugster View Post
I've got all the MinDesiredFramerate settings and FramerateLimit, RefreshRate, and so on set to 120. I've also got the impression that there are some hardcap installed, but considering alot of people have been able to run UT at ridiculously high framerates without issues, I begin to wonder that there's something deeper to it.

I was told to try 90 fps, I haven't really done that yet. Reason being, it's a 120hz and all, and I've already played at 85 fps for years. It would kinda suck to play my UT's performance down since I have this shiny new 120hz, but then again, I really didn't buy this monitor to play UT.

If I set FrameRateLimit to 200, wouldn't that mean fps would be locked on to 200? There aren't any active servers in my area atm (7am!), so I can't test it straight away.
I have the same problem but I play with 75hz. The highest my fps can go is 179. I set my fps to 148 and some games are great, others I get a pause and play repetitively. Did you change your RefreshRate to 120? It should be in the OpenGL or D3D settings.
Unread 6th June, 2012, 07:26 PM
Dominating

before continueing conducting experiments, try and get some info about what it realy is you want to acomplish: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm
www.unrealtournament.info - my little dot on the internet. Serving UT from a neutral fans point of view. Sharing files, creating new mods, showrooms for developers and offering a free public redirect service with online upload feature = zero wait time for files to get online.

Last edited by YouKnowWho : 6th June, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Unread 7th June, 2012, 04:41 PM
Holy Shit!!

i would match refresh rate with fps.
BUNNYTRACK NY
Unread 7th June, 2012, 09:51 PM
Holy Shit!!

First of all most screens are 60hz locked,your power is also 60hz.In the past it was 50.

So any frame above 60 fps is almost useless.

Vsync on also in your ini and ill bet your game will run smoothly on 60fps. If you want higher then sure you can,but youhave to concider a few things.

The game is old.Not every pc will run it fine. OS. 2 cpu 3 or 4 or more.

Crossfire systems sli.

Unreal was made for 1 cpu not for multi. So you need to set affinity for the game.There is a tool out there or on my site.

and read this about micro stuttering.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/1
Unread 8th June, 2012, 06:23 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Unreal was made for 1 cpu not for multi. So you need to set affinity for the game.There is a tool out there or on my site.
It's for that we set a FrameRateLimit
Here 3 settings ready for smoothly game http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/u...=WarConfig.rar

In case it is not enough MultiCoreFix http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/u...=&searchMode=f

Unread 8th June, 2012, 03:19 PM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by face View Post
First of all most screens are 60hz locked,your power is also 60hz.In the past it was 50.

So any frame above 60 fps is almost useless.
I've never come across a 60hz locked monitor myself? And most of Europe if not all of europe uses a 50hz power supply grid, but that has no influence on the performance of the screen as the update freequency has nothing to do with the power supply?

All i try to say is that if you only race to get a high fps you'll kill the image quality if you don't sync it towards all the other things that influence a good image.

Also, not all multi-core cpu's needs to be "fixed" in order to run UT, I use a i7 quad-core one, and it runs fine with no need to do anything towards the timer issues. It all comes down to installing your system correct with stable drivers.
www.unrealtournament.info - my little dot on the internet. Serving UT from a neutral fans point of view. Sharing files, creating new mods, showrooms for developers and offering a free public redirect service with online upload feature = zero wait time for files to get online.

Last edited by YouKnowWho : 8th June, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Unread 8th June, 2012, 05:04 PM
Holy Shit!!

try the d3d10 renderer. make sure ut is using 1 CPU as stated above. Make sure your not on wifi as older wifi just sucks . you don't need 120hz to get 120fps anyway. Make sure vsync is off as stated above. I cant think of anything else at this time. good luck!
BUNNYTRACK NY
Unread 8th June, 2012, 05:05 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
I've never come across a 60hz locked monitor myself? And most of Europe if not all of europe uses a 50hz power supply grid, but that has no influence on the performance of the screen as the update freequency has nothing to do with the power supply?

All i try to say is that if you only race to get a high fps you'll kill the image quality if you don't sync it towards all the other things that influence a good image.

Also, not all multi-core cpu's needs to be "fixed" in order to run UT, I use a i7 quad-core one, and it runs fine with no need to do anything towards the timer issues. It all comes down to installing your system correct with stable drivers.
Im running with i7 also no stutter.
BUNNYTRACK NY
Unread 8th June, 2012, 06:28 PM
Holy Shit!!

d3d10 ned directx10

xp directx9
vista directx9-10
seven directx9-10-11

Unread 8th June, 2012, 11:26 PM
Godlike

Quote:
I've never come across a 60hz locked monitor myself?
Many old CRT style monitors were locked to the hertz rate of the power supply simply because it's cheaper to make them that way. Almost no monitors now have that limit and you can set them to whatever makes your eyes stop burning. Yay technological advance.
Unread 9th June, 2012, 09:07 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:

it used to be 50hz then about 12 years back when the first lcd's came out it took them another 4 years to make the standard in europe 60hz. For ut with vsync on it meant 60 fps max.sync of then it was depending on your vga card and open gl or d3.But that would make you run faster or choppy gameplay.

If you have a amd and you use cool&quit and your cpu will be adjusted auto.Then it will fool ut and you will notice that you run faster or slower depending if it takes much of your cpu. Some say its speedhacking some say we did not know.

ANyway there are more things you need to make ut run good for some pc's.Not everyone has this problem just a few.
Unread 11th June, 2012, 05:03 AM
Rampage

Okay, so I've played around a lot with settings in UT and in NVIDIA control panel, and have not yet found anything that does any good to the cause. Strangely it runs quite fine at around 95 fps, so for the moment I will stick to that number. Offline I would get smooth gameplay as high as 140 fps (did not go higher as I didn't see any reason why I should).

In my 9 years of UT I haven't played with vsync on, but I have always limited my fps to equally to the hz of my monitor, as going above have produced tearing more rapidly (might have just been in my head). I have never really been comfortable setting my fps higher than the monitor's hz, but I find myself just as uncomfortable having fps way lower than my hz!

I've also made sure that UT runs strictly on one core, first thing I learned when I obtained my first dual core cpu! Though I don't think modern hardware have anything to do with the stutter issue I am experiencing. I used to have the same problem when I tried to go above 100fps with my older systems back in 2003-2005, but I always thought it was a matter of monitor hz which is why I was surprised that UT would not run smoothly on 120fps with 120hz.

This is the latest edit of my attempt-for-120-fps ini. Only thing I have changed to make it run smoothly now is having frameratelimit set to 95. Eventually I found myself just flipping every option on/off to see if anything worked, but to no success.

Code:
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=1016
WindowedViewportY=741
WindowedColorBits=16
FullscreenViewportX=1280
FullscreenViewportY=1024
FullscreenColorBits=16
Brightness=0.900000
MipFactor=1.000000
UseDirectDraw=False
UseJoystick=False
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=True
CurvedSurfaces=True
LowDetailTextures=True
ScreenFlashes=False
NoLighting=False
SlowVideoBuffering=False
DeadZoneXYZ=True
DeadZoneRUV=False
InvertVertical=False
ScaleXYZ=1000.000000
ScaleRUV=2000.000000
MinDesiredFrameRate=120.000000
Decals=False
NoDynamicLights=False
SkinDetail=Low
UseDirectInput=False
ParticleDensity=0
NoFractalAnim=True
TextureDetail=Low

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
ZRangeHack=False
AAFilterHint=0
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
FrameRateLimit=120
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=2
BufferTileQuads=False
BufferClippedActorTris=False
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=120
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
UseTNT=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.200000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.200000
GammaOffset=0.650000
LODBias=-15.000000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False
Use4444Textures=True
Unread 11th June, 2012, 06:52 AM
Holy Shit!!

You can have a more beautiful UT if your processor is ok.

Antialiasing
Anisotropic Filtering

UseAA=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
NumAASamples=8

EXEMPLE
MaxAnisotropy = 0

MaxAnisotropy = 16

Remember this settings are in WarConfig.rar http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/u.../WarConfig.rar

And full optimised game with official files UnrealTournament-V3 is in my signature with up to 4500 open post.

Last edited by medor : 11th June, 2012 at 06:57 AM.