You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Engine Based > Unreal 2 - XMP

Unread 20th January, 2004, 10:18 PM
Forum Newcomer

Do any of you know how to make music play while running a server... *besides putting a cd in*.... I know that the patch is coming out, but music in the meantime would spice it up a bit... thanx :withstupid:

P.S.

When is the projected XMP Community pack release date? Many Thanx...
:notworthy:
Unread 24th January, 2004, 07:31 AM
Forum Newcomer

WELL I've learned quite a bit so far... I've coverted a umx file to a wave file, then coverted it to an ogg file... I manually told the map to play the song, but yet it doesnt play it... What should I do next?
Unread 24th January, 2004, 01:08 PM
Dominating

erm you DONT play music on your server!!

music is handled client side, your server should NEVER run anything other than whats required from the engine to run a server, as this would just increase server load/CPU Usage and sky rockets your bandwidth.

8O
Unread 25th January, 2004, 01:00 AM
Forum Newcomer

Any suggestions on how to make a client side ap that launches when a certain map is qued?
Unread 25th January, 2004, 01:00 AM
Forum Newcomer

Any suggestions on how to make a client side ap that launches when a certain map is qued? (Doh... repeated my question...)
Unread 25th January, 2004, 11:27 AM
Forum Newcomer

Well if that's the case so far I've coverted some .umx songs from UTGOTY from wav. to ogg vorbis... The current system they are using i believe... Once I tell the map editor to use a specific song... how would I tell it to play it? (What coding would be necessary?)
Unread 26th January, 2004, 08:59 AM
Dominating

u do know that most ppl turn the music off when they play right??

i even delete the music folder and ; out the music folder path in the ini file.

why are you so intent on forcing music into maps when, at the end of the day u have no control on what the client does with thier config

forcing ppl to listen to music is a bad idea.

IMHO
Unread 26th January, 2004, 03:08 PM
Forum Newcomer

Well I guess everyone has there preferences.... Some people like music while they game... Some people dont... I just think that music adds flavor to a games atmosphere... but thats just me... As for forcing people to listen to music you are right.... but, I would be renaming the maps... aka (Alkazar-XMPMUSIC).... So, they're original selection would be there... If you would know any way to create a mutator that would:

A) Put music into the game *since the unreal editor does for xmp doesnt seem to work right* without affecting the maps...

And

B) Enable a music on and off checkbox in the game menu...

It would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you for listening to me... and I can understand where you are coming from guyver.... but if this feature was added to the game, it would add a new dimension to it, for people to either enjoy when they want, or turn off if they so desired...

Many Thanx...

-A][A- DavianCortez

-A][
Unread 26th January, 2004, 05:10 PM
Holy Shit!!

Ugh.. this subject always pushes my button.

I love the music that comes with Unreal.. I really love the tunes Toxeen did. But when it comes to music in-game, you gotta follow the rules and keep the player in control. Create your maps.. package them in zip files with your music and whatever documentation you like. Whatever you do, don't start the lazy practice I saw in the ina forums a while back - taking an mp3 of whatever flavor of the day tune they want and integrating it as ambient sound! It doesn't get lamer than that when they mod someone else's map in this way. I'd be furious.
Anyway, the goal of the server stuff is to only push the minimums. Keep music optional - get it with the full map download.
Unread 26th January, 2004, 06:59 PM
Dominating

wot he said

you will make VERY few friends in this community if you make music part of the ambient soundscape of the map.
leave it as it was meant to be, an optinal file that goes in the \Music folder.
Unread 27th January, 2004, 08:09 PM
Forum Newcomer

Thanx for the tips guys!!! I also believe that the user should have control of the music *that's a very good point... wouldnt wanna be listening to Brittney Spears on a DM map* But the thing is, is that when a map loads in XMP no music plays whatsoever... But, I see that it does have a music folder in it's directory... and it plays the selected music that they put in there at a certain time... (ex: splash screen, end of round,) Is there any way to edit the Unreal XMP code to make the GAME play selected music (client side as you guys are saying) ... so that we'd be able to make a bundle for music and maps? The only reason I asked in the first place is because I know that I love the Unreal Tournament Music from the GOTY Edition... I was just hoping to give that as an option to people for XMP... IM sorry if you guys think Im stupid.... :withstupid: or dense.... :dontgetit:

Sincerely trying his best to learn....

Davian Cortez

P.S.

Im new at editing if ya cant tell
Unread 28th January, 2004, 01:27 AM
Forum Newcomer

Any links in particular that you would suggest...
Unread 28th January, 2004, 09:17 AM
Dominating

cant you just asscoiciate a music file from the \Maps folder in hte map liek you do in UT and UT2003

open a UT2003 map and see how they asscociate the music folder files within the map
Unread 28th January, 2004, 06:56 PM
Forum Newcomer

Well the beta for the music mutator from the xmp programmers is coming out this friday... I'll be there
Unread 12th March, 2004, 08:06 PM
Forum Newcomer

The majority of the time it's only the n00bs that listen to the music.
If they continue to play and play with serious intent then the music usually gets 86'd.
I've been playing Unreal/UT SP/FPS since the beta days and have listend to the music a total of maybe a month :-p
I do agree music in games can add to ambience but mostly in SP games.