You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 3 > UT3 Server - Linux Specific

Unread 19th December, 2007, 08:18 PM
Forum Newcomer

Unhappy Master Server

I got the linux server running decent here.. But I am having problems getting the server to show up in the master server list.

DM-ShangriLa?bIsDedicated=True?bShouldAdvertise=True? MaxPlayers=16?MinNetPlayers=1?game=UTGame.UTTeamGa me?TimeLimit=20?GoalScore=0?Mutator=UTGame.UTMutat or_WeaponsRespawn?AdminPassword=<password>? -login=<gs_user> -password=<gs_pass> -multihome=<ip address of box>

From what I understand there should be something on port 27900 for gamespy and something on 6500 for server queries. Doing a netstat -nal I notice that UT3 isn't even using these ports. I have tried numberus combinations of command line options will all the same results. I did get 14000 to work if you don't specify a gamespy login (Lan broadcast port). But I have yet to see 27900 and / or 6500 port from the UT3 linux server.

Ryan Gordon has posted that the following command line worked for him.
bShouldAdvertise=True?NumPublicConnections=16?NumO penPublicConnections=16?bLanMatch=False
but I have tried that and failed as well.

There is no firewall running.
Box is a AMD64 Dual Athlon Opteron system running Ubuntu 606 AMD64.

Any Ideas or suggetions are welcome...
Unread 19th December, 2007, 08:28 PM
Killing Spree

Did you look for pure Servers only in the Serverbrowser, or did you also look for unpure Servers there? Because when you put a mutator onto the Server, it won´t show in the Serverbrowser list, unless you put the "any" or "no" option in the Pure Server field. If you have a "yes" there , a Server running a mutator won´t show up.

Second thing that comes to my mind is, that maybe you should simply try stopping the Serverprocess and restart it again. I had some issues with the Servers not showing up in the Serverbrowser list a few times (although it was very seldom, like 2 times in one month), and stopping them and restarting them again always did the trick to get them to advertise again.

And third thing that comes to my mind: When you don´t specify a ServerDescription="My Server´s Name", the default Name for the Server will be the Gamespy login that you are using. I don´t know for sure if any Servernames that you specify in some Inifile will be taken into consideration. To play it safe, just add a ?ServerDescription="Server_Name" into your Command line. Then it will be advertised under this name only.

Concerning the Ports, yes you are right, the 27900 or 6500 Ports are not used by the UT3 Process. That would fit nicely with my post i did on the Installing the Linux Dedicated Server Thread. I have always had my Servers running, without forwarding the 27900 or 6500,6600... Query ports. So i wouldn´t count on it, that this is your Problem. The Query Ports for the Server would only be needed by Programs like Xfire e.g. i think, if they want to query the Server, how many players there are currently playing, what pings they got and so on...

Edit: Btw, the last ? in your Command line is unnecessary, as there isn´t any variable behind it. But i think that would only be of "cosmetic" interest, as i don´t think that this would break anything in the Server.

Last edited by Art_illery : 19th December, 2007 at 08:39 PM.
Unread 19th December, 2007, 10:46 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default Mistery Solved, sorta

Well the problem turned out to be my gamespy account wasn't working. So I created a new account and set it up to use that login info. Worked then. Ryan pointed out that in UTEngine.ini you can comment out the "Suppress=DevOnline" line.

If you are getting a line that says:
DevOnline: GPErrorCallback called with result = 0x00000004, error code = 0x00000104

The Error 104 is for unknown username/password for gamespy network.
Unread 20th December, 2007, 12:29 AM
Killing Spree

Wow, nice to know, thx alot for the info.
Unread 20th December, 2007, 02:38 PM
Forum Newcomer

I remember that the serverdescription which is the name in the serverlist(?) must be set in these ASCII codes, for example "testserver" would be:
11600010100011500011600011500010100011400011800010 1000114000

but you aren't using this codes. what works? is it different on linux / windows systems?

ah and btw, did any of you use their LOGIN name or the EMAIL as login? it seems that for me it only works when i'm using my email as the "loginname"
Unread 20th December, 2007, 02:44 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disasterpiece View Post
I remember that the serverdescription which is the name in the serverlist(?) must be set in these ASCII codes, for example "testserver" would be:
11600010100011500011600011500010100011400011800010 1000114000

but you aren't using this codes. what works? is it different on linux / windows systems?

ah and btw, did any of you use their LOGIN name or the EMAIL as login? it seems that for me it only works when i'm using my email as the "loginname"
the code stuff of the serverdiscription is removed in the 1.1 patch so no longer needed, also try the -nohomedir flag

also what's the server log saying ?
Unread 20th December, 2007, 02:49 PM
Forum Newcomer

there is no log written, also when i add the -log=serverlog.txt parameter. or i just didn't find it...

but i start it with ssh, so i can see the log more or less. i didn't notice any warnings or messages that would be interesting but when you tell me what i have to add to the commandline and where i have to look, then i can post the log.
Unread 20th December, 2007, 06:09 PM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracca View Post
the code stuff of the serverdiscription is removed in the 1.1 patch so no longer needed, also try the -nohomedir flag

also what's the server log saying ?
Be careful with Server Descriptions that contain blank spaces though!!! When there is a blank space in a ServerDescription Variable, the commandline will only get processed up to the blank space in the Serverdescription, and any following variables will be ignored. The commandline options (the ones with the - in front of them) will still be recognized, it only concerns the variables with a ? in front of them. So the numbercoding still is the better way of using this variable, although you definately can also use simple ASCII letters.

And @ Disasterpiece, try looking into your home folder of the User under which you installed the UT3 Server. Get the contents of that Directory by typing
Code:
ls -lha
You should see a directory called .Unreal Tournament 3 (which is hidden normally because it has a point at the start). In this .Unreal Tournament 3 directory there is a directory called UTGame and in there is a directory called Logs. There you should find the logs that you are seeking if you can´t find them anywhere else.

A nice way to get a very decent log is to use the program nohup. let me give you an example of how to use it.
Code:
nohup /home/ut3/UT3-Server-1.1/Binaries/ut3 server DM-ShangriLa?....... &
the & at the end of the line tells nohup to run the program in the background. all the output that would normally be routed to the TTY-console is then written into a file called nohup.out

If you want to automate the task you can write a little bashscript like this to rename nohup.out to some other name after the UT3 Server exits.
Code:
#! /bin/bash
cd ~
nohup /home/ut3/UT3-Server-1.1/Binaries/ut3 server DM-ShangriLa?.....
LOG_DATE=`date '+%d.%m.%y_%H:%M:%S'`
mv nohup.out UT3-Serverlog_${LOG_DATE}
This would put the nohup.out file into the users homedirectory and after the Serverprocess quits will rename it to UT3-Serverlog_<current date and time at point of exiting the Server>

Last edited by Art_illery : 21st December, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
Unread 21st December, 2007, 04:08 PM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_illery View Post
Code:
#! /bin/bash
cd ~
nohup /home/ut3/UT3-Server-1.1/Binaries/ut3 server DM-ShangriLa?..... &
LOG_DATE=`date '+%d.%m.%y_%H:%M:%S'`
mv nohup.out UT3-Serverlog_${LOG_DATE}
Exclude the '&' from the nohup line in such a script, but run the script itself with a terminating '&'.
Unread 21st December, 2007, 10:54 PM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnihilatorSC View Post
Exclude the '&' from the nohup line in such a script, but run the script itself with a terminating '&'.
Ok will edit it from the above example, thanks for pointing it out, although I could use a little explanation if you feel motivated as to why that method would be better. So if I understand you correctly one should remove the & from within the Script and run the Script itself by ./Script & ?

Sorry if i don´t seem to completely understand you, but i am not a professional Coder or something like this, it is just a hobby of mine, so my knowledge is a bit lowskilled ;oP But i am very eager to learn and get things explained ;o)
Unread 21st December, 2007, 11:46 PM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_illery View Post
Ok will edit it from the above example, thanks for pointing it out, although I could use a little explanation if you feel motivated as to why that method would be better. So if I understand you correctly one should remove the & from within the Script and run the Script itself by ./Script & ?
If '&' was used within the script, as it was in your example, bash wouldn't wait for the server to terminate before renaming the nohup output file - it would do so immediately.
Unread 23rd December, 2007, 06:43 PM
Killing Spree

oh i see, because it already generates an exitcode for the shell and lets it run in the background, ok i get it i think ;o)