You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 13th April, 2006, 12:42 PM
Holy Shit!!

Default Key sharing and you

I used to read the ban appeals every time I hit the forum and clicked the 'new posts' link. For the most part lately, I've stopped doing that though. However, it's a slow morning for new posts and I clicked this one:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14129

Unfortunately, it's closed. However, that one lights me up and I got something to say about it.

Are you telling me that any admin can request a global ban if they see more than one IP/name using a given key? Worse yet, is this an automated process where the database is queried for keys being used from different ISPs?
edit - Admins can ask, but how do they prove anything? Ban elevation to global cited above was not requested by the banning admin.

I shudder to think what stolen key evidence is on the keys I bought. (mine, daughter's and brother's). At one time all keys were in use from my house. Another time, two were in use at my brother's. My daughter was in California, but now lives in Mass and her key was in use in both states too. Worse still, she changes her name all the time!

As for key sharing, who you trust your key to is your business. I don't understand how the system works when suddenly someone's key is deemed stolen and elevated to a global ban when it really wasn't stolen. If this isn't an example of a mob lynching, I don't know what is. Documented evidence of unlawful conduct (cheating, crash attempts, etc) is one thing. No verification from the key's owner is another.
Epic's master server is setup to permit the key to be used only from one location at any given time. Let the master server do its job.

Last edited by Imaginos : 13th April, 2006 at 06:21 PM.